First Beat: An end and a beginning

KyuMin: Heartbeat

 

A tall handsome man with thick eyebrows, almond shaped eyes, a sharp nose and a chiselled face stood outside a jeweller. He was about to enter the shop when his handphone sounded.

 

“Yeoboseyo…”

 

“Wonnie…” a voice on the other end of the line said.

 

“Min, are you calling me to remind me of our dinner appointment at your place tonight?” the person whose name was Wonnie asked.  

 

The person on the other end laughed before asking whether he was sort of a nag.

 

“You’re not. You’re just perfect the way you are, Min. Don’t worry. I won’t be late. I’ll be there at half past seven. I just have one last errand I need to run,” the man spoke with a deep, calming and gentle tone.

 

“See you later,” said the person named Wonnie and he hung up. He pushed the door open as he beamed brightly to himself.

 

……

 

Lee Sungmin giggled to himself after he hung up the phone. Tonight, he would confess his feelings towards Wonnie or Choi Siwon.

 

Choi Siwon – where could Sungmin find another such a perfect man on this earth? Apart from Siwon being tall and handsome – that was a plus in Sungmin’s eyes – it was that this man was humble, thoughtful, caring and gentlemanly that made him a great person – like how Siwon would warm his (Sungmin’s) hands with his own during winter; or how he would apply lotion for Sungmin whenever they were on a beach holiday at some tropical location; or he would cook porridge for Sungmin when Sungmin fell ill.

 

Of course Siwon was not without his little quirks – he liked physical intimacy a lot and he also liked talking or singing about God and Jesus. But Sungmin could live with that. Siwon even helped out at a LGBT friendly church.

 

Sungmin and Siwon were both 31 years old. They had known each other for more than ten years ever since college/university days. They weren’t that close back then. They shared a few classes together at most. Siwon went on to become a model while Sungmin went on to become a photographer. Before Sungmin operated his own photography studio and services, Sungmin had worked with Siwon on several photo shoots. That was when they got closer together as Sungmin was impressed with Siwon’s enthusiastic and professional work ethic.

 

Both of them grew closer to one another – meeting frequently during the week, going out on overseas vacations together, sharing their problems whether it is with work or family with one another. They felt comfortable around one another. And when they finally confessed their homouality to one another, neither one of them were surprised. They became even closer friends as they shared about their heartbreaks and how difficult it is to be a homoual.

 

Although Sungmin was grateful to have met a close friend like Siwon, he yearned for more. But he never dared to broach the subject of taking their relationship further for fear that it might ruin their relationship. What if Siwon doesn’t feel the same way? But tonight, he was going to take that leap of faith forward that would hopefully translate into future happiness and bliss.

 

And so decided to invite Siwon over for a home-cooked meal. Sungmin knew he wasn’t a fantastic chef but he wanted to do something special for tonight. He wanted to pop the question to Siwon in a private, intimate setting without being bothered by the outside world. He spent the day going to the market to purchase the food needed to cook a Western dinner for Siwon – which Siwon really likes. He went to the music store to carefully pick out a soft jazz CD to enhance the evening’s mood. He bought flowers and arranged them neatly in a small vase. He then spent the day cleaning every nook and corner of his apartment, making sure it was sparkling and dirt-free. He then proceeded to make a simple chocolate mousse dessert.  

 

Sungmin set his tablet on a tabletop as he went about preparing dinner. He referred to the tablet, scrolling down the screen for instructions on how to go about preparing the dinner. It was now about six. He had about one hour to prepare dinner before he would take a shower to freshen himself up for the special night.

 

Sungmin finely chopped the brown onions and sliced the mushrooms into even slivers with precision. He meticulously measured the required amount of milk required for the cream of mushroom soup checking the glass to see he had gotten the amount right.

 

He would consult the tablet whilst cooking, gently stirring the saucepan over a low heat ensuring that the mixture is not burnt. This whole process of making the soup took him a good half an hour or so. He covered it with foil to keep it warm.

 

Sungmin quickly threw some baby potatoes into a pan, drizzled them with sea salt, olive oil and herbs before placing the pan into the oven to bake.

 

He quickly boiled some broccoli and carrots before sautéing them with butter.

 

Now it was time to prepare the steak. Sungmin knew that Siwon loved a steak meal and Sungmin picked out a rib-eye fillet for their meal although Sungmin was not a big lover of steak. Sungmin then seared the steak in the frying pan. He only seasoned the meat with a little salt and pepper to preserve the natural meaty juices and taste like how Siwon would like it. Sungmin then started to work on the sauce. He was doing a Steak Diane and be bought Worcestershire sauce just for the meal. He glanced at his watch. It was nearing seven. He had to hurry a little. Luckily steak didn’t require a long time to cook and it was all done under ten minutes.

 

The cooking was now completed and Sungmin heaved in relief. All he needed to do was to clean the kitchen. Luckily Sungmin was an organised and neat person so he was able to get things done as soon as possible, making sure then the kitchen floor was grease-free and the sink spotless clean.

 

He plopped himself into the chair for a quick rest. Now he had to shower and wait for Siwon to arrive. He had already prepared a simple salad of rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, cubed feta cheese which was kept in the fridge. What is left is the plating of the dishes.

 

……

 

A tall lanky male with rimless spectacles and tousled chestnut coloured hair strode out of the office building lobby towards the car park. He was decked out sharply in a dark coloured blazer with a plain t-shirt underneath along with a pair of chinos. He was chatting on his handphone.

 

“That’s great. I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodbye,” he said politely.

 

He reverted to the call which he had put on hold. “Yes Victoria?”

 

“Kyu, it’s already ten past six. Aren’t you supposed to be on the road by now? My parents and I are waiting at the hobby lobby for you. You don’t want to be late, do you?” the voice on other line said.

 

“Come on Vic, we’re not even married yet and you’re already nagging at me. I can’t imagine what you’ll be after our marriage or when become old. Perhaps we should call this whole thing off,” he jested.

 

“Kyu!” the voice rebuked.

 

“Come on Vic. You know that I was busy with work. The magazine goes to print the day after…”

 

He paused for a while in his tracks as he fell short of breath. He felt a tightening in his chest as he broke out in cold sweat.

 

“Kyu…? Kyu…? Are you there?” the voice asked worriedly.

 

“I’m…fine,” he mumbled weakly. He had arrived at his car and leaned on the chassis for support.     

 

“I’m about to leave soon. So if the traffic isn’t bad, I’ll be there to pick all of you up in about 20 minutes. Please apologise to your parents on my behalf for making them wait,” he said in halting breaths.

 

“See you soon. Drive safely. I love you,” the female voice said.

 

“Love you too,” he replied.

 

The man fumbled about a bit as he tried to unlock the car with his key. As he got in, he slumped in his seat for a while as he quickly opened the compartment to take out a container. He opened it, took out a pill and popped into his mouth.

 

……

 

“You really have good taste sir,” the salesperson remarked.

 

Siwon did not reply except to radiate a broad smile. He was feeling pleased with himself as he examined the rings.

 

“We’ve got the engraving done as you request. One has SM and the other SW,” the salesgirl continued.

 

He inspected the two rings for the initials. He put on the ring with SW initials and it fitted him snugly. Satisfied, he returned the rings to the salesgirl for her to wrap them up.

 

“Excuse me sir, but would the other ring with the initials SM be a bit too large for your girlfriend?” she enquired.

 

He chuckled and did not offer an oral reply, only to nod his head and signal her to have the rings wrap up.

 

Siwon exited the shop with a swagger with a sense of pride and accomplishment. This evening, he would finally and formally ask Sungmin to be his life partner. Although they have not dated officially as boyfriends, Siwon knew how he felt for Sungmin – he loved the other very much – and was able to tell that Sungmin would reciprocate in the same way. He knew he would very much want to spend the rest of his life with the caring, loving, honest and reliable ball of fluff of a man with a sweet smile that oozes with cuteness despite his age.

 

Siwon could just picture Sungmin squealing with excitement and then giving him (Siwon) a bone crushing hug.

 

As the pedestrian lights turned green, Siwon stepped out onto the crossing; his hand clutching the paper bag contained the rings. He was halfway through when he heard a piercing honk heading his way. He turned his head to stare at where the sudden blare was coming from. His eyes widened in shock as a vehicle came careening towards him without signs of slowing down. It came hurtling at Siwon flinging him into the air. His body came smashing down onto the road.

 

Siwon lay sprawled on the road. The pain rippled through his body but he was too weak to groan. He blinked his eyes as he coughed out blood. Blood oozed from his nose and ears. His body convulsed as people gathered round him.      

 

“I need to stay awake. I need to stay alive until I see him one last time. I need to tell him that I love him,” Siwon thought to himself. 

 

……

 

Sungmin relaxed in his sofa. He checked the time of his handphone. 7.25. Siwon should be here soon.

 

He was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt that flaunts the contours of his toned body and ripped arm muscles. He ensured that he was well-groomed that evening – not that Siwon hadn’t seen him (Sungmin) before looking scruffy on bad days – it was a special evening and Sungmin wanted everything was perfect. He shaved his facial hair, styled his hair with his bangs swept to the right. He dabbed some cologne on himself. He dimmed the lights of his apartment whilst illuminating the living and dining area with tea lights.

 

Just then his handphone sounded indicating that he has received an incoming message.

 

“Don’t tell me it’s Wonnie. Is he going to be late?”

 

To his relief it was his good friend Lee Hyukjae or Eunhyuk as he is also known.

 

“So it’s tonight right? KeKe.”

 

“Ne,” Sungmin texted a response.

 

“Is he there yet?”

 

“I wouldn’t be replying to you if he was.”

 

“KeKe. You’ve been waiting for this day for a long time. Finally you’ve decided to do it. Good luck. Hope it goes well. Hwaiting.”

 

“Gomawo.”

 

“Tell me how it went tomorrow.”

 

……

 

“Are you the parents of the patient Cho Kyuhyun-ssi?” a doctor asked.

 

A visibly distraught middle-aged couple nodded their heads. The man had his arm around the woman’s shoulder in an attempt to reassure her and provide her strength. Accompanying them was a dolled-up lady. Her make-up had visibly smudged due to her tears. She had long flowing silky straight hair that reached her chest. She had Barbie-like large eyes. Other than her smeared make-up, she looked as perfect and stunning.

 

“How is my son?” the male asked.

 

“His stable has stabilised for now. We’re looking at end-stage heart failure. He needs an immediate operation. Luckily for him, we have found a donor. The operation however is not without risks and there’s a fifty percent chance that he may not survive. But if he doesn’t, we’re staring at immediate death,” the doctor informed grimly and monotonously.

 

“If you understand the risks and would like him to undergo the operation, we would like you to sign the consent form,” the doctor continued.

 

The couple nodded their heads.

 

……

 

Sungmin checked his handphone again. Minutes have passed since the appointment time. It was almost nearing eight.

 

Wonnie is seldom this late, and even so, it is unlike him to be irresponsible as to not to call or at least text me, Sungmin thought.

 

He then sent Siwon a text message and he continued to wait. But there was still no reply. He decided to give Siwon a call.

 

“The subscriber you called is currently unavailable. Please leave a message after the tone.”

 

Just then a bright flash of lighting struck the sky followed by a boom of thunder. Sungmin was startled and jumped in his seat. Suddenly the lights to his home went out. Cursing under his breath, he d his way with the flicker of the tea lights to shut down and turn on the circuit breaker. Outside the apartment, Sungmin heard the pitter-patter of raindrops.

 

His house lights were now . Outside, the roar of the thunder and the streaks of lighting persisted. As he relaxed into his seat, Sungmin could not help but worry.

 

Is Wonnie caught in the storm? But still, he would at least call me or text me or reply to me…unless his handphone is out of battery.

 

As the clock continued to tick by, Sungmin who was just staring into space, could feel his dread grow. His eyelids began to feel heavy and droop and he fell into sleep.

 

“Min, wake up! Wake up!” Sungmin could feel a familiar voice calling him.

 

It was Wonnie, he thought as he opened and rubbed his eyes for a better view. But there was nothing – no Siwon – just emptiness and a dimly lit room with all the tea lights extinguished.

 

It was half past night. Sungmin decided to call Siwon again but there was no answer.

 

Sungmin slumped in his seat. Did something untoward happen to Siwon? Or perhaps Siwon could foretell what Sungmin was up to, and on the surface he seemed to be agreeable to meet this evening, but in fact, it was all a lie and this was a way of rejecting him (Sungmin).

 

Sungmin sighed as he rose from the chair. He didn’t feel like eating and decided to pack the food and store them.

 

Somewhat feeling distracted, a plate slipped from his hands and shattered into pieces as it fell unto the ground. Feeling somewhat spaced out and troubled, he picked up a broken shared without thinking much or paying caution, resulting in him sustaining a cut on his finger. He let out a yelp. He quickly headed to the sink to wash his wound, and it plastered.

 

He decided to turn in early after he was done with washing up. But just as he was about to turn in, his handphone sounded. Realising that he left it in the living room, Sungmin bolted there, and with anxiously picked grabbed the handset and gushed, “Wonnie.”

 

To his disappointment, it was a soft girly voice on the other line. “Yeoboseyo…is this Lee Sungmin-oppa?”

 

“Ne. Lee Sungmin-imnida.”

 

“I’m Choi Sulli, Siwon’s oppa dongsaeng. I’m sure oppa had mentioned me to you before.”

 

The girl’s voice was rather shaky.  Sungmin tapped the fingers of his left hand on the sofa uneasily. His face betrayed a mix of anxiety and worry as he voice trembled. “Yes, he did.”

 

“Oppa had just passed away. He was killed in an accident about few hours,” the girl notified. Her voice was choking with emotion.

 

Sungmin gripped his handphone tighter. He crumpled backward into the sofa. His mouth was gaping – as he wanted to say something but the words could not quite leave his mouth. His face scrunched up in shock and disbelief. His left hand stopped what it had been doing. 

 

“Which…hospital…is…he…in?” Sungmin uttered haltingly, somewhat unconsciously letting the words slip from his mouth.

 

The news was heartbreaking for Sungmin as he knew it had to be true. This explained why Siwon never turned up for their appointment. He continued with a stutter, “Can…I…see…him…for the last time…please?”

 

“His body has been sent to the mortuary.”

 

“I see. What about the details of his wake and funeral?” Sungmin choked as his eyes began to brim with tears.

 

“We’ll still arranging…”

 

Sulli’s voice trailed off and she paused midway in her sentence. She hesitated for a while before she cleared to speak.

 

“Sungmin oppa, this is a difficult request to ask of you,” Sulli faltered. “But please do not turn up for the wake and funeral…”

 

Sungmin shuddered as he heard the words.

 

“I know that Siwon oppa loved you a lot, but I’m sorry that my parents and I just can’t accept the both of you. Oppa had argued with our parents when they found out he was gay and wanted to be with you.”

 

Sulli paused for another moment. “Please don’t take it too personally. I hope that you would put yourself in my parents’ shoes and understand them. Their only son had died. They are in grief. I hope that you won’t exacerbate their anguish by showing up as their dead son’s gay lover.”

 

Sungmin remained silent as those hurtful words pummelled him as though a tonne of bricks fell on him. Those words were just like poison entering his bloodstream and killing his being. He could only freeze while he let his tears overcome him.

 

“I know that I have no right to make such an unreasonable request of you. I know how close you two were. Anyway, oppa is now dead and gone. Whatever things you had with him have come to an end. Thank you for whatever you did for Siwon oppa in that brief time of his life…” Sulli continued. Her voice was cracking with emotion.

 

“Couldn’t…I…come…secretly….when everyone is gone?” Sungmin whimpered. “I’ll be fast. Just a minute will do. Please let me say my goodbye to him. I really love him.”

 

“Please understand how my parents would feel if they see you. I’m sorry. Goodbye.”

 

With that, Sulli hung up the phone.

 

“What about me?” Sungmin wept miserably as he curled himself into a foetal position on the sofa. “Who would understand me?”

 

…..

 

Nine months later.

 

At Jeju Airport Arrivals Hall.

 

“Min, why don’t you take a seat here whilst I go rent a car?” a guy with gold hair with thick eyebrows motioned Sungmin towards the benches.

 

A visibly listless Sungmin dragged himself over to the seats and sat down.

 

“I won’t be long,” Sungmin’s companion said. “Watch over the things.”

 

Sungmin only nodded with his soulless eyes and blank face. 

 

His companion then scampered off muttering, “Aish, why do you have to make me worry about you?”

 

Sungmin sighed and glanced around. Just then he saw a tall lanky man in the distance strutting across the arrival hall. He was with a lady and an entourage of about 10 people behind him. His posse was trying to scuttle after him without much success due to their cumbersome luggage.

 

Just then the man paused. His tousled hair was chestnut; he was wearing sunglasses and decked out in a t-shirt with a cardigan over it. He was wearing cropped pants and a pair of boat shoes.

 

His female companion had long flowing hair which was tucked under her cap. She was wearing sunglasses, a jacket over a t-shirt, cutoff shorts and platform sandals.

 

The man suddenly turned to look his way. Sungmin started to feel an unexpected queasiness in him. His stomach started to knot up. His heart started to flutter and thump faster.

 

He turned to look away from the man just as the said man turned to look as his female companion at the same time. But the pulsation in Sungmin’s heart refused to calm down as he took deep breaths.

 

“What is happening to me?” Sungmin asked himself in alarm. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is my first chapter. What do you think? I certainly hope it is to your liking.

Pretty intense chapter towards the end right? How many you people feel bad for Sungmin?

Anyone wants to wager a guess as to what happened in this chapter? 

Who was Sungmin's companion in Jeju? Who was that male and female Sungmin saw at Jeju Airport? 

Thank you for all the support for my previous stories. Please continue to support this newest story by well leaving your comments or/and subscribing to it. I would probably update the story in about 2 weeks time. Let me conclude Heaven's Boys first.  

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)