Not Only Paper Cranes Grant Wishes

[JunSeob oneshots!] Behind Every Photograph is a Story

Not Only Paper Cranes Crant Wishes

 

               “Uuuugh, why is this so hard?” Junhyung pounded his fists on the table, causing papers to float away slightly. He clutched the pen in his hand, enough to make his knuckles turn white, and rested his head on the table. He’d been left alone, at his request, there in one of the rooms in the Cube building so he could write new lyrics and jot down more ideas to be turned into lyrics later on. Dozens of sheets were spread around him, most filled with messy scribbles and frustrated cross-outs; others still blank.

                “Hyung?” The rapper heard the door behind him creak open, and he recognized the caring voice that called out to him.

                With an exhausted sigh, Junhyung sat up and turned in his seat to greet Yoseob. “Hey there.” He smiled. On a normal day, he’d hate to be disturbed, especially by this talkative little boy, but today, seeing Yoseob didn’t seem so bad. “What’s up?”

                “Nothing, really. I just wanted to visit you and see how you were doing.” His fingers played around on the doorknob awkwardly. He wasn’t entirely sure if Junhyung wanted him there or not.

                Junhyung pulled the seat next to him and gestured Yoseob to sit with him, which the younger boy cheerfully did. “I’m having my blank days again,” he sighed once his companion scooted over next to him and took a peek at the papers.

                “You’ve been writing for days,” Yoseob tried to justify his hyung’s current state. “Your brain cells are dead, I think.” He chuckled. “Maybe you should take a break?”

                “There’s no time for breaks here, Yoseob. Our producers always want something new, something great, every day.” He frowned and looked upon his papers. “It’s not as if I can think of new and great things every hour of every day, right?”

                “Right! That’s why, I’m telling you, you should take a break for a while.”

                “I’m telling you, I can’t!” Junhyung hunched over the table again, staring at the half-blank sheet of paper before him.

                “Fine, then you’ll work here,” Yoseob said decidedly and leant back on his chair, folding his arms across his chest.

                “Uhhh, yeah? That was my point to begin with.” The older boy looked at his bandmate strangely, amusedly wondering what Yoseob had in mind.

                “Exactly.” He nodded. “Alright, go on. Write.”

                “You make me feel nervous!” Junhyung inched away. “It’s weird, having you just sitting there, expecting me to think of something and write it down!”

                Yoseob laughed and got up from his seat. “Shall I go away, then?”

                “No! Stay here.” Junhyung jerked up slightly, then sat again. “Please?”

                “Okay, okay,” he laughed again. “Don’t mind me and I won’t mind you.” Yoseob skipped around the table until he was across Junhyung. He gathered the pieces of paper that Junhyung had balled up—his rejects, for short—and uncrumpled them all. “Are you going to use these?”

                “No. Why?”

                “Don’t mind me and I won’t mind you,” Yoseob repeated and sat down on the nearest chair. “Go do your work. I’ll be here.”

                Junhyung watched Yoseob for a while, curious as to what the boy would do, but Yoseob looked up at him often and pointed to the paper he should have been working on. Then Junhyung would look back to his paper, still clueless, and he ended up observing Yoseob work with the rejected papers anyway. He smiled at how the younger boy would look so intently at the papers, trying to fold them into strange patterns, and his tongue would peek out from the corner of his lips in his concentration. After a while, Junhyung found himself getting back to his work, the ideas in his head pouring one after the other.

 

                “I’m tiiiiired!” Junhyung leant back and outstretched his arms. He’d just finished his fourth set of lyrics that afternoon, four sets of lyrics he was very much proud of. With a big yawn, he looked at Yoseob seated across him. Junhyung hadn’t paid any attention to the boy once his train of thought started a few hours ago, and again he was wondering what Yoseob had been doing the whole time he’d been there.

                Yoseob was asleep with his head on the table. His hands were on his lap, and there was no evidence of any activity whatsoever. Junhyung knit his eyebrows together, and he stood up and bent over the table. “Yoseob-ah. Wake up!”

                After a few more attempts, Yoseob did wake up and he greeted his hyung with a sleepy smile. “See, don’t mind me and I won’t mind you. How was your afternoon, hyung?”

                Junhyung held up his accomplishments with a huge smile on his face. “Four complete sets, Seobie. Let’s hope that the producers like it.” He sat down again and put the papers next to his pen. “What have you been doing this whole time—well, before you fell asleep?”

                “I tried to make paper ornaments. I don’t remember much of what I used to make, so I gave up on that.” He chuckled. “So I slept.”

                “That’s it? So you did nothing?”

                “Well, yeah.” He shrugged. “Your papers were so useless anyway—you crumpled them too much that they were limp and quick to tear! Oh, but I did manage to make one thing.” Yoseob bent down, and when he straightened, he showed off a floppy paper crane. “Don’t judge! It’s your paper’s fault!”

                Junhyung smiled and took it from Yoseob’s hand. “I like it. But why did you make a paper crane?”

                “They say making a thousand paper cranes would make your wish come true. Well, I didn’t exactly have a thousand sheets of paper, and I couldn’t even make ten because of your flimsy reject papers. So I just made one.” He laughed.

                “Sorry,” Junhyung laughed along. “What wish would you have wanted to make, if you managed to make a thousand paper cranes?”

                Yoseob looked up for a while, seemingly deep in thought. “That you’d make tons and tons of great lyrics and be happy and not be tired and stressed anymore. But it seems one paper crane already fulfilled that wish.” He grinned.

                “Maybe it’s not the paper crane to begin with.” Junhyung smirked.

                The younger boy shook his head with a tiny chuckle, his cheeks revealing a tinge of pink. He stood up. “Maybe you should go show your lyrics to manager hyung and the producers? Then come back and tell me what they say. I’m going to get some noodles.”

                Junhyung nodded and stood up as well, ready to head to the producers’ office.

 

                When Junhyung reached the office, only Beast’s manager was there. The producers were at some meeting, but manager hyung agreed to give the first opinion on the new lyrics. He read through each sheet of paper without uttering a word or changing his expression—making Junhyung anxious.

                “I can… I can change them, if you need me to,” he said quietly. In truth, he was really proud of what he’d made and he didn’t want to change anything.

                The man put the papers down and smiled at Junhyung. “I like them, Junhyung. I’ll send these off to the others and give them my recommendation. Good work today.”

                Junhyung grinned. “Thank you!” He bowed.

                “Really, these are amazing. And four sets, too? How’d you manage to finish all these this afternoon?”

                “I had some help, I think.”

                “Did Doojoon help you write the lyrics?”

                He shook his head. “Yoseob came and visited me today. He didn’t really do much, but Yoseob makes the lyrics go on the page faster than if I sit by myself. It’s funny.”

                Manager hyung chuckled. “Alright. Go take a break, Junhyung. Thank you for your work.”

                Junhyung bowed again and left the room. As he closed the door, he found Yoseob standing there with a big smile on his face. “What are you doing here?”

                “I wanted to wait for what they say about your lyrics.”

                “I thought you were going to get noodles.”

                “We can go get that together. Sooooo, what did they say!”

                “Manager hyung said they were amazing, and that he’d give his recommendations for the lyrics.” His lips curves into a smile bigger than Yoseob’s and Junhyung put his arm around his companion’s shoulders. “Let’s go get some noodles.”

 

-------

a/n: Yaaaay, so I finally wrote something after a week and a few days~ I'm so sorry to everyone waiting for my updates. I wrote this for one of my friends from LJ actually, after she gave me the prompt, "Yoseob makes the lyrics go on the page faster than if I sit by myself." Apparently, Junhyung really said that xD