Chapter Eight

It Started With a Name
   ºChapter Eight

     “Stop!” I screeched as I shot out of the van and ran towards O’Hare. I tried to pull her away. The front receptionist cast us a quizzical glance. It was certainly odd that three foreigners were at the Woollim Ent. studio.

     “Sorry… see them no.” She mumbled through the glass and waved her hand as if to shoo us away like fruit flies. I was relieved and tried to pull on O’Hare, but she just continued to shrug me off.

     She gave the receptionist a dazzling smile. “It’s okay. We’re here to give them their food,” she told her as she pointed to the basket that I had handed off to Afton who lifted it up shyly. The receptionist smiled but shook her head, still denying us access.

     “Please O’Hare. I already told you guys about what happened, so please don’t make me do this. O’Hare please! PLEASE! I will die," I pleaded. She looked at me and smiled slyly at me.

     I moaned and continued to pull on her arm, but with less strength now. I knew she had already made up her mind. I was usually the stubborn one of the group, but on the rare occasion O’Hare actually commited to something, she always did it. Despite my pleading she smiled again and gave me a wink.

     “It’s alright. Jang Dongwoo's mother sent us," she told the receptionist. The woman shook her head again.

     O’Hare pulled on the hem of my shirt and pushed me against the glass. If this was to use my head as a bludgeon to get through the glass, it failed. O’Hare smiled and gestured to the woman’s jewlery. ”Whoa! You have really good taste. Where did you buy those at?”

     And that's how we made it through the doors and were given directions to Infinite's practice room.


     “Holy crap ~, why are you being like this? It’s weird. But also kind of cute," O'Hare said as she pulled on my hair. I still just walked beside her, watching Afton's steps.

     ‘Left, right, left, right. Oh? How did she switch like that? Right, left. Again, O'Hare tugged lightly on my hair. "Seriously shut up 'dear' O'Hare, like I need you trying to make me feel weird.’ 

     Afton knocked on the door to which there was no reply.

     “Let’s just leave the food here and go!” I uttered and dove for the basket in her hands but she pushed the door open.

     “We are going to die. I’m going to die right here. They are all going to choke me. Even worse! What if they take turns hitting me with a bat? I will die a painful and slow death. Buddha help me! What if they rip off my fingernails?” I continued to whine to myself. Well, more like talking myself, so it appeared I'd lost it, but you get the idea. 

     The three of us were in the middle of the practice room. O'Hare was going through the basket and setting out the food, I was curled into a whimpering ball, and Afton was staring at herself in the mirror.  I heard footfalls and laughter and a yelp that screamed something was cold. Footsteps got louder and before they could open the door I flew to a table that was nearby and crawled underneath it and hid myself.

Woohyun POV

     Opening the door I spotted two girls in our practice room.

     “What are you guys doing in-” I looked at the food that surrounded the girl who was sat in the middle of the room. It looked amazing, and my stomach began to rumble and plead for the food that was set in front of me.

     “Ah! Woohyun, right? Come on and sit down!” one of them said as she waved me over. I followed without a second thought. It helped that everyone else was getting irritated that I was standing there in the doorway. Sungyeol had even pushed me forward some. Nevermind that I had just been invited into my own practice room.

    “WAA! Would you look at all this food?! I must have done something right in the past to get all of this. Daebak!” I sang to myself and folded myself down on the floor and began to eat. Chicken, kimchi fried rice, soda. I was a man and this is what men eat! The girl giggled at me and I gave her a small smile and was about to eat the chicken when it was pushed out of my hand.

   “Woohyun, what the hell are you doing? Are you PMSing again or are you just that dumb to eat food someone gives us?”  Sunggyu yelled at me and gestured to the food. The girl gave us both quizzical looks and the other shorter girl had sat down beside her.

    “It’s fine to eat you know. It’s from Dongwoo's mom. See? She even wrote down the address and directions for us," the taller said.

    The shorter girl shifted through her pockets, which turned up empty. She looked at the taller girl who had turned around to look for it. ‘Kris Wu’ was on the back of  the shorter's neck making its way up to her scalp. I bet you could do some with its locations. Her hair bobbed when she got up to look for it, despite the small white bow that held it in a bun

     “Did we leave it in the car or something O’Hare? I swear we just had it.” She scratched the side of her nose.

     “We love our fans. To show everyone a better stage we have to practice lots and lots! Noona fighting! Next time I'll show you lots of fun things,” Sungjong said sweetly, his aegyo kicked up making one of the girls giggle.

     “Please, that’s funny. There’s someone I really like a whole lot. No, I love him a whole bunch,” the shorter girl commented and pushed the food toward us. She tried to hide the blush that spread across her face.

     Everyone was standing except for me, and Sunggyu was crouching next to me, trying to pull me away. I immediately knew who she was talking about thanks to the name on her neck. I glanced at the other members who look worried, but I just gave them the cue to sit down.

     "It’s fine. She's in love with that Kris kid from EXO-M. You’re that Afton girl right? I read an article about you guys a while ago, talking about how fate was really strange. It had said that some foreign girl had his name on the back of her neck. It’s pretty ”  With that, it seemed as if the other members relaxed and sat down. The girl she had called O’Hare was going crazy still searching for the directions Dongwoo's mom had written.  Sunggyu snuggled subtly into me and I laughed affectionately, pushing against him.

     “What about that girl then?” Hoya asked through a mouthful of greasy chicken. I wiped my own lips before glancing at her.

      “Our roommate. It’s fine. She’s got someone else’s name on her." Then Afton leaned in a little closer and said quietly, "She’s about as exciting as a stick in the mud.” Evidently, O'Hare overheard what she had said, because she shot her a nasty look. Afton then began to eat with us. O'Hare was still searching for the directions, clearly not caring that we had gotten past believing the food was poisoned.

     “Dongwoo, I swear if you don't hand me my chicken I will stab you while you sleep,” L threatened him and reached for his chicken while Dongwoo pulled it away. All of us began to laugh. Afton handed him another piece of chicken and we all started talking about nonsense things, like how they had known where to find us. Which was a pretty stupid question by Dongwoo. Always an idiot. Never a genius. Anywhoodle-doodle, the two told us that they were fans and we offered them signatures, to which they told us they didn’t have anything for us to sign. That hurt my pride a little bit. O'Hare stood up from eating and searched through the basket and dug through Afton's pockets. Apparently they were close since neither one of them minded the skin-ship. Though, that may be perfectly accpetable, wherever they're from.

      “Does ~ have it? Wasn’t she the one who held the basket the whole way here? She gave it to Afton when we were at the entrance.  Seriously this is going to drive me crazy until I find it...” O'Hare rambled to herself.

      I felt myself tense up for a second then relax. While there was a chance they were talking about the same girl that we met yesterday, it might not be. 

~ POV

‘This is how I die. Underneath a table while smelling food. Gosh, why are they so stupid? Why doesn’t Dongwoo just call his mom to make sure that we are being serious? He is so dumb I swear. I’ll have to pray for his safety.’ I shifted to my side and tried to make the least amount of rustling sounds as I could. I knew I was falling asleep when their voices began to fade out and I was left with my own thoughts.

In the dream: I was a squirrel.  It was great being a squirrel, but I remembered when I was a human and had thumbs. “DOG!” My squirrel friends alerted me and we all scurried away. I ran up the nearest wall and hopped on the ledge. The dog leaped up but was too short to reach the ledge. How fun. I wanted to tease the dog even more so I let my tail hand off the ledge of the wall; just out of the dogs reach. With one paw I rested a hand on the small acorn I had brought with me. A pulling sensation.

Infinite POV

     O’Hare mentioned the girl's name who worked at Dongwoo's parent's restaurant, and the entire team with the exception of Sungjong froze. 

     “This is bad. These two seem normal, but if they know that girl from yesterday then its bad news,” Sunggyu whispered into Woohyun's ear, afraid of what would happen if the others overheard him. It seemed it was too late. Although O’Hare continued to mumble and call out ~’s name, she never appeared. Maybe the girl was senile.  Infinite continued with their lunch until O’Hare sat next to Afton and whispered something into her ear.  Afton glanced up at us and whispered to O’Hare. It was annoying that we couldn’t hear what they were saying. It honestly pissed Sunggyu off to the high heavens.

     With that, O’Hare crawled towards the table that all of our junk was at and moved the table cloth out of the way.  I heard a grumbling and ~ was born from under the table. She groaned in protest but as O’Hare continued to pull her out ~ laid an arm over her face blocking the sudden burst of light.

     "Alright, out with you," O'Hare murmured to ~. "I'm sure your toenails will be safe."

     “Oh snap, crackle, and pop. Things just got bad.” Sungyeol murmured but bad was not the correct word. The entire team glanced at Dongwoo. He was the type to forgive and forget easily, but I think seeing her, lit up the buried mistrust he had harbored from yesterday.

~ POV

     “~ do you have the directions? Despite the issue with Infinite thinking we are creeps, this is the only way for us to get home. The van doesn’t have a GPS and I have no idea how we got here.”

     O’Hare’s chilly hands ran into my jean pockets and pulled them inside out. I stood up and pushed my pockets back in.

     “It’s in this one.” I said and pulled up my shirt to shove two fingers into the secret mini pocket that was in my jeans pocket.  I glanced around and saw my reflection in the mirrors. I looked like . Then I saw Infinite.

     “Crappers. Holy crap, why are we still here?” I asked and tried to hide back under the table. O’Hare dragged me over to where they were eating and gave me food. I gazed at each of their faces as I ate. They all looked bewildered, but my stomach moaned, asking to eat first, then talk. I held up a single finger to them (E/N: a very impolite gesture >.>) and began to eat, shoving a mixture of chicken and kimchi fried rice into my mouth and forcing it down with soda. I was the only one eating for about five seconds then everyone went back to what they were doing. I finished before the idols and laid down on my back, legs still folded and looked at our group's reflection.  When they finished I sat back up and sat directly from across Dongwoo, in some sort of weird sandwich between Afton and O’Hare but Sungyeol was in the middle of the two forces, with L and Sungjong accompanying him. This made us a sort of strange circle/line thing. It was a very interesting shape to say the least.

“So….” Sunggyu began, but he trailed off.

The atmosphere was tense. I felt uncomfortable and went up on my knees, only to lower back down in a more formal sitting position.  Although I could stay like this for about ten minutes, it was better than the last position.

“Yeah... so” I chuckled and nodded, gesturing for him to continue.

“We should get this all sorted out.” He remarked easily and I was honestly surprised. I had taken Hoya to be the go-to-guy when it came to mediating matters.