Chapter Two

It Started With a Name
ºChapter Two

      It's been about a month since I moved to South Korea, and let me just say right now, I hate this place. I was supposed to live on base with the other military brats who were brought along with their family. But I just had to be intelligent and particular. My mother had already moved back to America, telling me she couldn't stand it here. I have no hard feelings though. I understand and support her choice fully. I was truthfully expecting her to leave sooner or later; she always did. If she didn't, I was shipped off somewhere else; pawned off to some other family member. Instead I live in a dorm on my school's campus. I was in my last year of high school because that's just where the Korean school system stuck me. Although I was a senior, these classes weren't senior material. My high school was directly linked with a college and I just happened to be one of those smart kids. Great.

      I share my dorm with two girls who are actually pretty cool. Afton, who is only one year older than me attends the college here. We only have two classes together, but it's still fun for us because we get to goof around. Our personalities are similar so I think this is one of the main reasons we get along. Afton I share a bed, sleeping next to me. We have another girl who sleeps on the bed above us, Rebecca O'Hare. She's older than both of us and obviously goes to university with Afton. Truthfully though, I have no idea if they share any classes. When I was first put into this dorm, I was afraid that I would be stuck with girls who didn't understand English, because my Korean is not in tip-top shape. At all. I was extremely happy when I had opened the door to find two white girls minding their own business. But I was also extremely worried. I was worried they were going to think badly of me. But everything somehow worked out and I think of us as close friends; in fact my only friends.

     Afton was the first to notice the name that adorned my collarbone. It was while I was still sleeping, and she had told me that my shirt was hanging low just slightly, and then she just happened to spot the black and couldn't help but read it. In return she showed me the back of her neck where in bold letters it was written "Kris Wu" neatly inked going up the nape of her neck. She laughed and rubbed the name lovingly.

     "You know EXO, right?" I nodded my head and she smiled. "It's that Kris, you know." I gasped in surprise. I looked at her but she just blushed and let her eyes look somewhere else.

     “How do you know?!" I asked, taken in the idea that someone I knew was soul mates with someone famous. I rested my hands on her shoulders and shook her until she began to giggle. I thought I had broken dear Afton but she began to explain.

     "I went to a concert and, well," Afton bit her lower lip in an adorable way, "When I handed him my CD so he could sign it, our fingers accidentally brushed. He pulled away so quickly I thought that maybe I had shocked him you know?"  She started twirling her fingers together and a slight blush appeared on her face. “So when I looked up at him he was just staring at me, and when I asked him what was wrong and he had told me nothing. He had held his hands up." She mimicked him, brining both of her hands up and showing her palms. “There my name was, clear as day on his right palm by his thumb. I couldn't control myself." I glanced at her face and it was like someone had just panted tomatoes on her cheeks. “I turned around and lifted up my hair to show him his name. Of course before that I never knew it was that Kris, but... fate is so good at making me feel awkward. I'm such an awko taco!" She exclaimed and threw her face into a pile of pillows, and what I assume was a squeal escaped her lips. 

     That was four days ago though.

     I was walking with O'Hare to a little restaurant she thought I might enjoy. I was having a hard time giving up some of the things I had in the States, but I did enjoy a lot of Korean food. As we were walking I grabbed her wrist swiped my thumb over the underside of her wrist. In little script that looked handwritten was 김재섭 going vertically down her arm. Kim Jaeseop, as in Aj of U-KISS.  She didn't mind the skinship and continued to lead me to this restaurant place. It was spring now, but it was still all sorts of chilly.