The Hurt

More Than A Memory

 

The ride home was quiet and anxious. None of us knew what to say, but we weren't really in the talking mood to begin with.

After dropping of Onew and Jonghyun, me and Taemin made our way back to our house. Taemin was the first person to get out of the car and walk into our house. I didn’t move. I stayed in my car and cried. As hard as it was to stay strong for Taemin, I did not want to lose my best friend. Minho and I had been best friends forever. Our mothers were pregnant together so we were friends before we were even born. I was only born just a few months before him. I could not fathom the idea of my life without him. With all the pain that I am going through, I cannot even imagine the pain that Taemin has to deal with right now.

The next morning, Taemin came into my room early to wake me up.

“Hyung, visiting hours start soon. I want to be there whenever I am allowed into the room. Can you take me to the hospital, please?” Taemin said. He looked as if he didn’t sleep a wink. I could hear him crying from the room next to mine for most of the night.

“Of course, Taemin-ah. Just let me change clothes. I will meet you downstairs, okay?” I said, sitting up in my bed.

It didn’t take me very long to change clothes. I walked out of my room and began to walk down the hallway. I noticed that Taemin’s door was still open. I popped my head inside to see Taemin sitting on his bed, wrapping his arms around a sweater that I knew belong to Minho. Tears began to soak the top of the material as the gently fell from Taemin’s eyes.

I knock on the door.

“Taemin-ah. Are you ready to go?”

He didn’t look up at me but just nodded his head before making his way to his nightstand and placing the precious sweater into the bottom drawer, which was filled with all kind of things that Minho had given him.

After telling our parents goodbye, we got into my car. Taemin didn’t say anything on the way to the hospital. I know that he has a lot on his mind so I didn’t try to start any conversations; I had a lot on my mind as well.

Once we arrived to the hospital, I made sure to check us in at the front desk while Taemin went ahead and made his way to Minho’s room. After checking us in, I made my way to Minho’s room. Once I got to the hallway that Minho’s room is located in, I could see that Taemin was sitting on the bench outside his room.

“Taemin, what’s wrong?”

Taemin just looked up. He pointed to the room. I looked at the door to see that it was open and that the room was empty. I ran inside just to double check. The machines, the charts, Minho; everything was gone.

I ran out of the room and went to the nurse’s station.

“Excuse me, can you tell me what happened to Choi Minho please? Did he switch rooms or something? His room is empty.”

“Just one moment; let me look him up on the charts.”

She began to type in tons of words to her computer. I was tapping my fingers on the desk, beginning to lose my patience. Luckily she spoke before I become really anxious.

“Mr. Choi was moved into room 612. The sixth floor is for ICU.”

“ICU? What do you mean? Did he get worse? Did something happen last night?”

“Why don’t you go up to the sixth floor and I will let you talk to his doctor? I think that it would be better if you heard it from him.”

“Okay.” I walked over and explained to Taemin what had happened. We made our way to the elevator with the nurse following close behind. When we arrived on the sixth floor, we saw Minho’s parents sitting on a bench, talking to Minho’s doctor. Minho’s mom was crying loudly. I could tell that something bad was happening.

Minho’s dad was the first one to spot us. He signaled for us to come over. We bowed to Minho’s parents and to his doctor, before he was called off by another nurse. It was hard to not immediately start crying when we saw Minho’s mom. His mother looked up at us and pulled Taemin down beside her. She wrapped her arms around him and began to cry on his shoulder. Taemin was hit with a mix of shock and worry for what she was going to say.

“Taemin, the doctor says that Minho is not going to make it another night. He had another seizure last night. They are having a tough time stopping the blood in his brain. I know how much you love him. I think that you should spend the rest of the day here with him”

Taemin retracted from her hug and looked up at me. He gave me a look as if he was asking permission to stay here. I gave him a light nod. After about 20 minutes of talking and crying with Minho’s parents, they decided to go get some rest at a nearby hotel since they had been here all day and night. We told them that we would call if anything happens. 

 

 

A/N: New Poster made by @playfulfox...you like it?! i love it! Thanks, cricket.