The Reunion

More Than A Memory

 

Taemin wiped the tears from his cheeks, walking back to his seat next to Minho’s mom. Taemin only starred into his lap as more and more speakers from Minho’s family, soccer team, and schoolmates spoke, reminiscing on memories and their love for Minho. The four of us sat there, bodies numb from pain, unable to cry anymore tears or feel anything. This was it. This is the end. Our unbreakable five stumbled down to four. What would happen to us? Minho was our foundation; he held us up, without the foundation, we were destined to fall apart…

 

And that is exactly what happened. We crumbled.

Taemin fell into a deep depression, unable to stop blaming himself for Minho’s death. He wouldn’t eat, just sleep for days and days. He said that he could see Minho in his dreams so he just slept. It was the only time that you would see him smile. He was offered a second tryout for the dance team in Seoul but he couldn’t get the energy to dance anymore so he declined.

Onew left Seoul. He couldn’t stay in this town anymore; too many memories everywhere that he went. It became hard for him to get over Minho’s death when he was constantly thinking about it. He decided to move to Tokyo; hoping to continue his artist desire that Minho always told him that he should pursue. Minho was always the best dream-catcher; whenever we would throw our dreams aside, Minho would catch them and give them back to us, reminding us of why they were so important in the first place.

Jonghyun and I got an apartment in the city. We are both going to the college that Minho was going to attend with us. I am getting my degree in fashion design and Jonghyun is getting his in music. We are both working little petty jobs to make our way. We try to see Taemin as much as we can, but he usually doesn’t like to talk once we are there.

But just as we had promised a year ago today, we are going to meet at our park and that is why I am here today.

I glanced over at the women, still sitting on the bench next to me. Her hands were full of used tissues, soaked in the tears she had been crying.

“Kibum-sshi, I think that your friend was truly blessed to have friends like you guys. But it sounds like you have had a tough year. ” she said, patting my hand.

“Yeah, it has been rough, but in times like this, you have to remember the times of laughter instead of sorrow.” I smiled at her. She smiled back.

I glanced down at my watch. It was almost time.

“I really appreciate you listening to me. It really helped me to remember how close we used to be. I need to go. It is time to meet the others.” I stood from the bench and bowed to her, thanking her once again.

I walked towards the rocks, where the four of us had gotten the phone call from Minseok. When I arrived, I saw Jonghyun and Onew sitting on the edge, their shoes and socks next to them. It was just like the old times, kicking the small ripples of water. I walked up next to Onew and placed my hands on his shoulder.

“Kibum-ah.” Onew said, standing onto the rock. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tighter than he had ever before. “I’ve missed you.”

“Onew-hyung, I miss you too.” I smiled.

We sat down on the rocks and began talking about everything that we had missed. Onew had been accepted into a prestigious art school in Seoul so he was going to be moving back. We offered to have him move in with us, but he insisted on getting a place on his own.  We sat and talked for about an hour.

“Where is Taemin-ah?” Jonghyun said, pulling out his phone to call him.

“Wait, here he comes.” Onew said, pointing towards the small teenager walking our way.

Taemin was walking fast, but his walking soon turned into a sprint. He sprinted straight into Onew’s arms, hugging him tight. Onew was shocked; he forgot how to breathe.

“Onew-hyung, I missed you. You look the same. For some reason I expected you to look different. And Jonghyun-hyung, how are you? You guys don’t come by as much as you used to.” Taemin reached over and hugged Jonghyun lightly, before I could even say anything to my baby brother. Taemin turned to me and hugged me tightly. I instantly wrapped my arms around. It had been so long since I had felt the love from my brother that he used to give us.

Once we finally pulled apart, Taemin smiled. He actually smiled. I hadn’t seen him smile in almost a year.

“Taemin.” Before I could finish, Taemin turned so that he would be facing all of us.

“Hyungs, I am sorry for being so shove-offish this last year. It was hard on me as you all know. I really thought that I had nothing else to live for, but then it hit be. It would be a waste of my life if I spent all of it being sad. That is not what Minho would have wanted from my life. I want to live the life that Minho would have wanted me to have. I am going to go back to dancing, after an extensive practice season.”

I began to cry. My three best friend’s looked at me, wondering what had caused me to cry like this.

“Babe, are you okay?” Jonghyun said, placing his hands on my shoulders.

“Ha, I am fine. Now it is official. Minho is so much more than a memory. He has become a part of all of us. We are continuing our lives the way that Minho would have wanted us too.”

The four of us looked up at the sky and smiled.

Choi Minho, you will always remain in our hearts. We will meet again one day. Wait for us? We love you.

 

A/N: Dear subscribers and silent readers, thank you so so so so much for sticking with me through this story. I know that some of you maybe have hated me for making your cry, but trust me, I cried plenty of times writing this story. I took a long time to write it in order to truly portray the character's emotion based on how I thought SHINee would really react if  they lost one of their members...and sadly, I choose Minho to be that one (even though he is my bias). I love you all! Thanks again!