Chapter 3

Dear You

The first day of school meant that we were exempted from studying. Instead, our whole day was spent elaborating about our holidays and celebrating our reunion in the new semester. Mr Park, my class teacher, was an amiable and easy-going guy, a favourite amongst the students. He joined in the fun, telling us stories about the funny scenarios that had transpired within the length of his vacation in Europe.

Hyunji and I spent a good portion listening to other people’s stories. The girls had made it a competition to see who had the best holidays so far, and the honour was unanimously granted to a girl who won tickets to a BEAST concert and was then chosen as one of the lucky fans who got personalised gifts and fanservice from them.

When the final bell rang, we spent the next hour in the basketball court watching the team practice. Walking home together on the first day of school had been a tradition for Hyunji, Yixing and I since the very start of the first high school year, and we still planned on doing so this year, even if it meant going home a little late.

Of course, it wasn’t that Hyunji was complaining. She loved to see the basketball team practice, and Yixing just gave her a perfect excuse to swoon over the captain. In the presence of an audience, the guys felt the need to show off more than usual. We were subjected to ‘cool moves’ as they bounced and threw the ball into the basket, attempting shooting techniques that I had only seen being perfected by Kris. Yixing, on the other hand, would roll his eyes and knock their heads with the basketball when he got the chance.

“Hyung’s late,” Tao complained, dropping onto the ground near me as he chugged down a bottle of water. Sweat trickled down his forehead and made his hair glisten.

“He told us to not be late and he’s late. What a hypocrite,” Chanyeol grumbled, running a large hand through his tangled hair and causing it to stick up even more.

“I heard he’s showing the new guy around,” another member, Minhyuk said.

“There’s a new guy?” I asked in surprise.

“Yeah,” Minhyuk said with a nod.

“Didn’t you know? I thought you girls had a gossip club that dissected every rumour and flushed out every secret in this school,” Yixing said.

I rolled my eyes. “Honestly Yixing.”

“We didn’t hear anything about it,” Hyunji said with a shake of her head.

“Heads up. He’s here,” Minhyuk said, quickly standing up and stealing the ball from Yixing. Yixing chased after him, and soon after, so were the rest.

“... and here’s the basketball court,” we heard Kris’s voice say as the double doors swung open. Kris walked in, still dressed in his school uniform as his sharp eyes took in the scene. I saw him smile in satisfaction when he saw that his team was diligently practicing, before turning to talk to the boy behind him.

“We practice every four days of the week,” he continued.

“You must have a strong team then,” a voice replied. I tensed and my head immediately whipped around to look at them. My heart pounded in my chest while my brain whirred. It can’t be him. It can’t be.

“We’re okay,” Kris said, stepping sideways and revealing the boy who had previously been hidden behind his tall form. My heart accelerated.

His eyes swept the room, taking in the boys running across the court as they attempted to steal the ball from each other before they landed on the spot where Hyunji and I sat. That brilliant smile carved itself onto his face again as his gaze found mine. I melted on the spot.

Kris clapped his hand once and whistled, easily earning the attention of his team. He gestured towards the boy, who had torn his gaze away from me and was smiling at the boys.

“This is Kim Joonmyun,” Kris said, clapping him on the back. “He’s the new guy.”

A chorus of ‘hi’s greeted Joonmyun.

“I’m gonna go off and change,” Kris said, addressing Joonmyun, “so go ahead and walk around. In the mean time, you people,” he turned his attention towards his team mates, “can either make friends or go back to practice.”

As Kris left, the boys surrounded him, easily welcoming him into their circle. I saw Chanyeol bound up to Joonmyun first, happily introducing himself and all the others. Even Yixing, usually so apathetic about new arrivals, seemed to take an interest in him.

“Oh, he is cute,” Hyunji whispered next to me, fanning herself with her hand as she gazed at him.

“I know,” I said with a smile, propping my chin up on my hand and watching as he laughed at a joke cracked by one of the boys. His laughter sounded musical, like the sound of water lapping against the shore.

The boys were dispersing now, trudging back into the court to continue their training. The sound of the ball bouncing against the floor echoed throughout the room, later accompanied by the sound of squeaking sneakers as the game picked up its pace.

“He’s coming over,” Hyunji whispered excitedly.

My eyes widened and my body froze. I ran a quick check through my head, recalling the last time I saw a mirror and fixed my hair and clothes and wondering if some of the chocolates Hyunji and I had on our way here had stuck to my teeth. I ran my tongue across my teeth and discreetly wiped the side of my lip with my finger.

“It’s you,” Joonmyun said, his voice carrying a tinge of amusement as he gave me that breathtaking smile. “I didn’t expect to see you again.”

I could have responded; I could have given him a witty remark that would make him laugh. Instead, I smiled weakly, rendered speechless by his presence.

“Sorry I didn’t get to properly introduce myself. My name’s Joonmyun,” he said, holding out his hand.

I stared at him and his outstretched hand. It took me a few moments to realise that he probably expected me to shake it. I gingerly reached out and took it.

The jolt that travelled up my arm was nothing I’d ever experienced before. It was surprising, yet nice and pleasant. My hand was perfectly clasped in his, and I could feel the contours of his palm and fingers and the warmth that emanated from it, strange, yet comforting.

I was too focused on our entwined hands that I didn’t realise that he was staring expectantly at me. “Your name?” he urged.

I could have slapped myself then and there for being so stupid. “Aeri. Go Aeri,” I said; the most I’d said so far.

“My name’s Hyunji,” Hyunji said. Drat. I forgot she was even here.

“Pleasure meeting you ladies,” Joonmyun said, extracting his hand from mine. “I’ll go tour myself around.” He gave us a quick salute. He surprised me when he paused in his step and turned to me. “Looks like we’ll be seeing each other more often in the subway then, since we both go the same way.” He flashed another charming smile before he left, and my heart fluttered.

“You like him, don’t you?” Hyunji said the minute he wasn’t within hearing range. She sounded like she was holding back her laughter.

“I –no, what makes you say that?” I said, trying to feign ignorance, but knowing that my cheeks were betraying me.

“Your response just proves it ~” she sang, poking me lightly on the cheek.

I brushed her hand away. “Okay fine, maybe just a little bit.”

“‘It’s you.’ It sounds like a line from a drama,” she said, clasping her hands together in front of her chest and grinning widely.

“Drama?” Yixing asked, suddenly appearing in front of us. “Something tells me that I really do not want to know what this is about.”

Hyunji ignored him. “Aeri likes Joonmyun,” she said.

Yixing’s brows shot up. “Already? I would have given you at least a week.”

“You guys don’t get it. He’s really nice and really sweet.”

Hyunji smirked and propped her chin up on her hand. “There’s something you’re not telling us, Princess. What happened in the subway?”

“Yixing!” a loud voice bellowed before I could conjure up an excuse. Kris was standing in the middle of the court, dribbling the ball and beckoning him over.

“Good luck,” I whispered to him instead as he quickly chugged down his water.

“Yeah, don’t worry. I’ll wait until you’re done to interrogate her,” Hyunji said, waving at him.

Yixing rolled his eyes. “Great,” he said sarcastically. “Girl talk. Looking forward to that.”


Left in the hands of the persistent Hyunji, I was forced to recall and retell the events that had transpired between Joonmyun and me in the subway. There really wasn’t much to tell anyway for I had only been acquainted with him for just a few minutes, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t emphasize each moment.

Hyunji was delighted and was squealing along with me throughout my entire narration; Yixing on the other hand, took it upon himself to bring us back down from cloud nine by stating comments meant to crush my and Hyunji’s fantasies.

“Geez, what’s so big a deal about that? He was just being nice to you. He would probably do the same thing to someone else.”

Hyunji and I flashed annoyed looks at him. “It’s doesn’t matter whether or not he does it to someone else. It’s the fact that he’s nice enough to even do it in the first place. That’s what makes him so likeable,” I explained.

“So you’re saying that you’ll fall all over you feet for some random guy who grabs you and pulls you into a subway train? What if it’s some ert?”

“Joonmyun’s not a ert!” I said, scandalised.

“That’s not what I meant,” Yixing said impatiently. “I’m just saying it’s not sensible for you to fall for some guy just because he helped you.”

“That’s what you don’t get, Yixing,” Hyunji said, crossing her arms across her chest. “When someone’s that nice to you, your heart can’t help but flutter just for him.”

Yixing raised his brows. “So if some guy comes up to you now and asks if he can hold your books, you wouldn’t be freaked out?”

“I don’t mean it that way,” Hyunji huffed in annoyance. “It’s just that it’s always nice to have someone pay a little extra attention to you.”

“Kris never pays attention to you. Why do you worship him?” Yixing said with a tone of bitterness.

Hyunji waved her hand dismissively. “Kris is a different story. He has his own charms.”

I chuckled in amusement at Yixing’s obvious discontent. Figuring that aiding him would be more rewarding than fuelling his irritation, I decided to change the topic.

“Hey guys, how about some ice cream before we go back?”

“Great!” Hyunji said happily.

I let her walk until she was just a few steps in front of us so that I could quietly talk to Yixing. “You heard that, didn’t you?” I snickered. “I guess you better start paying more attention to her.”

Yixing glared at me. “Shut up, Aeri.”

I laughed, patting him on the shoulder and speeding up my pace so that I could join Hyunji, smirking inwardly at how awkwardly cute Yixing was when it came to her.


Dear diary,

 I just met a very cute guy today in the subway. Turns out he’s a new student. He’s very nice and very sweet. I think I might just found my new high school crush.

Love, Aeri.