Break

사랑아: For the Love of Onew

The more that Suho conversed with the two, the more Sojin came to like EXO's leader. He radiated a genuinely kinda aura and really did seem happy that Sojin and Onew had started to date. As they continued to converse, a waiter passed by with a platter of delicate wine glasses.

"May I interest you in a glass of red? Or white?" he asked, addressing the two idols first, then turning to Sojin as an afterthought. Suho smiled and took a glass of red wine, swirling it and nodding his thanks to the waiter. Onew went for the pale wine, then turned to see if Sojin wanted anything. The youngest boy politely declined, well aware of his low alcohol tolerance. At an event like this, he definitely needed to be in control of his actions or risk making a fool of himself. The waiter gave him a slight look of judgement, then turned and headed to the next table. To Sojin's surprise, the Shinee member downed his wine as if it were a shot, sticking his tongue out in disgust after the final swig.

"Woah, you really like alcohol," the half-Korean stated in disbelief. Suho nodded his agreement, eyes wide as he stared at Onew's empty glass.

"I told you I hate social events," the leader stated, flicking the side of the empty wine glass and causing it to ring lightly. "If I'm a little drunk, then it'll at least be a bit more fun."

A waiter carrying more wine came to collect the empty glass and as he did, Onew picked up a second from the platter, thanking the waiter. Before Sojin could open his mouth to protest, the leader had downed the second glass.

"Onew!" the younger boy exclaimed, grabbing the now tipsy boy's arm. "Okay, that's definitely enough. You drank those so quickly, you're going to be super drunk."

Shinee's leader let out a giggle and nodded his understanding. Sojin could tell the leader was already quite tipsy and would be full on drunk within a few minutes. He looked at Suho for advice, but EXO's leader simply shrugged.

"It's a party, so I guess it's fine," he stated, taking a sip of his own wine. "Just keep an eye on him!"

Sojin nodded his agreement, still holding onto Onew's arm. The trio continued to talk for another half hour, Onew's statements becoming increasingly random and hilarious, until someone caught Suho's attention. As Sojin tended to the drunken idol who was playfully poking the boy in the forehead, Suho departed the table with a smile on his face, heading towards the newcomer. 

"Minseok!" he exclaimed, jabbing the other EXO member lightly in the arm. "You actually showed up. I thought you weren't going to come because--" Suho glanced at Onew. Minseok shook his head.

"I can't just not go to things because my ex is attending," he replied, folding his arms across his chest and staring intently at Onew. "Besides, you know that we ended on good terms! And I've been thinking that we could maybe make it work again."

Suho blinked a few times, taken aback by this sudden change of heart. After the breakup, Minseok had been extremely bitter, avoiding any situation that might make him cross paths with Shinee's leader. As he followed Minseok's gaze, he saw that the vocalist was no longer staring at Onew, but the boy next to him.

"Who's that?" he asked, his eyes narrowing. Suho shifted uncomfortably. If he told the truth, Minseok would surely flip out and cause a huge scene, and who knew what he would do to Sojin. 

"Er...Sojin. He's a friend of Shinee's. I haven't seen any of the other members here so that's why he's hanging out with Onew," Suho replied, rubbing the back of his head and offering up a smile. He could see that Minseok was unconvinced, a frown clearly spread across his visage.

"He sure is touchy," Minseok stated, referring to Sojin who was now trying to keep the leader from falling out of his chair. The EXO member began to head towards the pair, but Suho blocked his path, letting out an awkward laugh. Who knew what would happen if Minseok reached the pair.

"Now I know something is super suspicious," Minseok stated, glaring at his leader before sidestepping around him. He walked briskly to the table, where Onew had resumed poking Sojin in the forehead, Suho following behind with a grim expression.

"Hey there," Minseok stated excitedly, looking straight at Sojin. Both Sojin and Onew looked up at the newcomer and Sojin could feel the Shinee member's arm tense. The half-Korean, unaware of the circumstances, smiled back and greeted the EXO member politely.

"Sojin, right?" the vocalist asked, glancing at Sojin's grip on Onew's arm before locking eyes again. Sojin nodded happily, honored that the EXO member knew his name.

"What's your relationship with Shinee?" he asked, forcing a smile. "And Onew?" he added. Sojin glanced at Suho, standing behind Minseok, who was shaking his head with wide eyes. Minseok glanced back at Suho and he immediately ceased, pretending to stretch his neck. Sojin looked back at Minseok, confused by Suho's signal.

"We're..." he hesitated, unsure of what to do. Thankfully, Onew cut him off, his speech slurred.

"Minseokkie~! What are you doing here? I thought you were trying to avoid meeee," Onew stated bluntly, giggling at nothing in particular. Minseok looked taken aback momentarily, before his smile reappeared. 

"Avoid you? Why would I do that?" he asked, giving Onew a confused look. He reached out and grabbed the Shinee member's other arm and pulled him to his feet. Seeing that Sojin was still holding on, he pulled Onew a bit further away from the seats till the boy released him. Sojin glanced at Suho, starting to realize that something strange was going on. Suho stared back at him helplessly, not wanting to make the situation even more awkward. Minseok wrapped his arm around the Shinee leader's waist to support him, then glanced at Sojin.

"You wouldn't mind if I dance with him, right? It's been a while since I've gotten to be out with Onew!" he stated sweetly. Sojin shook his head, confused by what was going on, but still offering up a smile.

"Sure, go ahead!" he replied, causing Minseok's face to light up. The EXO member dragged Onew to the dance floor, Onew giving Sojin a drunken smile before disappearing into the crowd. As soon as the two were out of sight, Suho collapsed into the chair next to Sojin and let out a long sigh. 

"What was that all about?" Sojin asked, utterly lost. Suho looked at the boy and hesitated, unsure of whether to tell him the truth or not. Sojin seemed so innocent that he would feel bad lying to him and keeping him in the dark. EXO's leader took a deep breath, then explained the situation.

"Minseok and Onew were dating for about a year. The broke up around two months ago--because of Minseok--and they never really talked after that," Suho explained, hesitant to continue as he saw Sojin's eyes widen. He pressed on, "But...Minseok just told me that he's not holding a grudge anymore and could...see them getting back together."

Sojin fought the urge to spring up from his chair, instead clamping down on the armrests until his knuckles turned white. Suho fidgeted uncomfortably, gazing into the crowd to see if he could get a view of the pair.

"But Onew's not still interested in him, right?" Sojin asked, waiting intently for the older boy's response. Suho shook his head defiantly.

"No. If Onew says he's into you, then he's into you," Suho stated with confidence. He looked towards the dance floor again. "I don't know what Minseok is trying to do here, but I'd just keep an eye on them."

"Suho!" came another male voice from across the great hall. Suho rolled his eyes as he saw that it was his manager beckoning him over.

"Ugh, I thought I would be able to escape him here, but I guess not," he stated, rising from his chair. He patted Sojin on the shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry too much, Onew is a great guy. I've gotta go now, but I'm sure we'll meet again!" 

Sojin stood and bowed to the older boy, thanking him before watching him walk to his manager. Alone now, he considered going onto the dance floor to search for Onew, but wondered how he would find the pair in the mass of people. Just as he took a seat, he felt a hand on his shoulder, causing him to almost fall out of his chair in surprise.

"What are you doing all alone?" came a familiar voice from behind him. He tilted his head back and looked up to see Minho smiling down at him. The rapper was dressed in a sharp black suit, with a black dress shirt beneath and his hair pushed back. Sojin almost forgot how handsome the rapper was, but this was a very solid reminder. Swiveling around in his chair, he gave the older boy a huge smile, genuinely happy to see him.

"Minho hyung! You came too?" Sojin asked, relieved that he wasn't alone.

"Yeah, I'm usually the only one who goes to these things. Key would rather go out with Jonghyun alone and Taemin would rather just practice dancing. And as you know, Onew hates this kind of thing. I'm surprised he came to this one, actually. Where is he anyway? You came together, right?"

Sojin nodded. "He drank a lot and got really drunk...and then went to dance with Minseok."

Minho's eyes widened upon hearing the name, but he quickly regained his composure. "Er...I think it would be best if we went to find them," he stated, staring at the dance floor. Sojin nodded his agreement, less intimidated now that he had the rapper with him. Minho led the way to the dancing mass of people and Sojin followed suit, getting into the sweaty crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who is that kid?" Minseok asked, bodyrolling to "4 Walls." Onew, still drunk, danced around happily, enjoying the f(x) song.

"Mmm, he's Sojin!" the leader replied with another giggle, his styled hair beginning to fall back into bangs again. Minseok glared, unsatisfied by the answer, then moved in closer to the Shinee member. 

"And what's your relationship with him?" Xiumin asked bluntly. The EXO member had been sure not to drink so that he would have his wits about him, but the fact that Onew was drunk was an added bonus. Onew seemed to sober momentarily, his smile dropping from his face, but he broke out into laughter a few seconds later.

"He's...my boyfriend~!" Onew exclaimed. Minseok's forced visage shattered and he took a step away from the Shinee member as if he had been stung. He recomposed his self, then brought himself even closer to the lead vocalist, grabbing his arm. Xiumin danced with him provactively for a moment before flipping around and beginning to grind.

"You're replacing me with...that?" he asked, unimpressed. Onew took a step away from the EXO member, detaching himself from the idol's grinding hips, his laughter suddenly ceasing.

"Ya," he stated seriously, stumbling a bit. "You broke up with me. And yes, Sojin is the only one I care about now."

Minseok's eyes narrowed, seemingly more angered than hurt by the statement. He took a step forward and grabbed the front of Onew's button down, pulling him close.

"I promise he can't give you this," Minseok stated, fire in his eyes as he pulled Onew into a kiss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's too crowded! We're never gonna find them," Sojin yelled over the music, getting shoved back and forth by dancers. Minho stopped for a moment and stood on his tip-toes, peering over the crowd until he spotted what he was looking for. His heart skipped a beat as he saw Minseok grinding mercilessly on Onew.

"Ugh, he just doesn't give up..." Minho stated under his breath, grabbing Sojin's arm and pulling him along more rapidly now. The rapper easily navigated through the crowd, lightly pushing people when necessary until he located the dancing duo. As they finally came into view, Minho gasped in surprise, gazing up on the pair locked in a kiss. He turned around in an attempt to block the sight from Sojin, but it was too late. The younger boy stood frozen, the color drained from his face as he took in the act. Minho stepped in front of him, obscuring the view and placing his hands on the younger boy's shoulders. He could see tears welling in the half-Korean's eyes and his own heart ached. Minho twisted the boy away from the spectacle and placed his arm around him, leading him out of the crowd.

"It's definitely not what you think!" Minho began, trying to console the concerningly silent boy. "Onew would never do something like that. It had to be Minseok. Onew drank, right? That definitely had something to do with it. He would never..."

Minho trailed off as he realized Sojin was only half-listening. After a few moments of silence, the shorter boy pulled free from Minho's grip and turned to face the rapper. He had yet to make a sound, but tears were streaming down his face. 

"Thanks Minho, but I...I'm going to go home. My home," he managed to state, before choking up. He strode out of the dance hall into the lobby, trying to clear the tears from his face. The receptionist gave him a look of concern, but he hurried past before she could say anything. It had been weeks since he had thought of his own apartment, but now it was the only place that would bring him solace. As soon as he emerged into the night air, he burst into tears, sobbing as he strode down the street towards his home.


Dun dun dun, after another terrible hiatus, I have returned! As per usual, comments and critiques motivate me to write, so please feel free to write them and subscribe! ^^ Thanks!