Prologue

Come On Make Me Feel Alive

 

 

Prologue 


 
The first time that they tell their roadtrip plans to an outsider, Chen almost pees his pants from laughing.
 
“That’s a terrible idea,” he wheezes, barely able to get his words out. “You four? In a car together, traveling for two months? You’d kill each other!”
 
“But we get along well,” Yixing protests mildly. “We’re best friends!”
 
The six guys are relaxed in Lu Han’s living room in a Park Avenue penthouse. The carpets are imported from Morocco, and the wallpaper is lined with specks of gold.  
 
“You guys won’t even be able to decide what music to play in the car,” Xiumin scoffs. “Kris will want to listen to rap, Lu Han will want top 40 pop music, Yixing will want indie music, and Tao – Taozi will want silence.”
 
Lu Han sighs, but shrugs. “Headphones?”
 
Chen ponders the idea for a moment, then turns to Kris. “Hey, I know you were a little upset before, but I don’t think -”
 
“It’s a great idea,” Kris interrupts. “I could do with some fresh air, a change of scenery after…after…”
 
“The lying two-faced ?” Chen supplies.
 
There is a sharp intake of breath and a smack on the arm from Lu Han, but Kris nods. Yes, he thinks, that did describe his ex-girlfriend rather well. They had been together for almost eight months before she had cheated on him and then stomped all over his heart.
 
“It’s the perfect opportunity for Kris to get over her,” Lu Han adds excitedly. “He can have a girl in every city and - ”
 
“Not everyone wants to screw everything he sees, man,” Kris replies, tossing a cushion at Lu Han’s face. 
 
Yixing rolls his eyes. “Some of us just wants to see more of the world, you know?”
 
“That’s cute, Xing,” Lu Han says, condescendingly. “Adorable, really. I’m going to party my way to California and it’s going to be a blast.”
 
Xiumin frowns, and picks up his soda from the table, “What are you guys going to drive?”
 
“My car,” Kris replies immediately.
 
Again, Chen starts to laugh. “Four rich city boys in a new Porsche Cayenne driving across the country? Sounds like a horror movie, one where you guys get killed by a bloodthirsty cannibal in the middle of Wisconsin.”
 
Lu Han shakes his head. “We have Tao,” he says, shrugging. “Any serial killer can bring it on. In fact, I fear for his life.”
 
Tao, the only member silent up until now, coughs loudly. “Is that all I’m good for?” he demands, annoyed. “To protect you three pretty boys from murderers?”
 
Casually, Lu Han throws an arm around Tao’s neck and starts choking him. “Of course not, Taotao,” he chuckles as the bigger male easily throws him off in mock disgust. 
 

Chen and Xiumin exchange nervous looks, but the plan is set. Right after graduation from their respective universities, Kris, Lu Han, Yixing, and Tao, the four best friends, are embarking on a roadtrip across the country.   

 

 


A/N: We weren't kidding when we said borderline crack. Also, feel free to guess which author wrote which chapter. We may or may not let you know if you're right or wrong,