Chapter 6

Red Fluke [Hiatus]

“The heck?” Saehyun cussed silently under her breath as the ice cream melted all the way down her thumb and hand. It was probably due to the time she waited for her change. Unbelievable on how slow the cashier could go with being all clumsy and dropping out money for umpteenth times.

 

But she could care less. Saehyun planned on going straight to Busan afterwards so the mess wouldn’t be really bothersome. She skimmed through the lines of people and headed towards her seat.

Little did she knew, a pair of brown eyes was scrutinising her, stoned and dumbfounded.

 

Adjusting her position in the seat, her phone abruptly rang. With her cleaner left hand, Saehyun dug and rummaged through her black Chanel handbag and answered the phone immediately once ‘Mom’ lighted up on the said screen.

 

 

Baekhyun felt his palm was rather wet when he slightly slapped his cheek and looked away. How bad is my situation? He thought. Baekhyun believed he had already moved on, and by moved on, he meant he was able to accept the reality that his beloved wife was dead and she would never come back. But, what was wrong him today? He couldn’t really be seeing or imagining the figure of Saerom on random people he met in public.

 

He admitted he missed her so much, so much that it hurts nonetheless seeing her in a real living woman was completely insane. He thought he might actually had lost his mind for good.

 

“Sir? Sir? May I take your order?” a pale-faced cashier greeted him out of his unconsciousness. Baekhyun didn’t realise that the line was moving fast. “Oh yes, one tutti fruity ice cream and one chocolate ice cream please?”

 

He huffed faintly in despair.

 

 

The ride to Busan passed by rather shortly perhaps due to her excitement. Saehyun’s plan to surprise his parents was somewhat a vain. She had no idea on how her mother could find out that she was coming home. When she asked her, her mother told her back that it was only her ‘motherly instinct’. She giggled to recall back the phone call earlier and decided to never mind the way her mother found out.

Maybe it was Mom’s motherly instinct after all.

 

Upon stepping in front of the gates, she could see her parents who were currently gardening, went to jog happily towards her.

 

She beamed. “Mom and Dad! I’m home!” and she was in fact, homed.

 

 

Later that night, Baekhyun threw himself on the couch lazily after what it seemed like eternity to lull Yuhan to sleep in his cradle. It was never that complicated to put him off to sleep when Saerom was around.

    

“Damn,” Baekhyun inhaled sharply and shoved his face in the couch’s cushion. He was thinking about Saerom again. He never wants to think about Saerom, because if he did, he would feel weak, extremely weak to the state where he felt like he didn’t want to live his life again. He missed her like crazy and the only will for him to stay strong was his children. Their children.

 

And suddenly, the image of Saerom’s figure in the ice cream parlour reappeared on his mind. Baekhyun took the cushion of his face and hugged it tightly around his torso. The latter stared at the ceiling and let his thoughts ran free.

 

Was that woman really looked like her? Or was he just imagining things? Baekhyun never forget about Saehyun, the actual person who looked like Saerom as they were twins but, Saehyun was in Germany. How could that even possible.

 

He jumped on the couch slightly when Hyemi popped out of nowhere at the back of the couch. “You scared me, Hyemi,” Baekhyun sat upright and gently took Hyemi’s hand and led her to walk around the couch to get her in front of him.

 

“Why weren’t you sleeping?” He softly cupped her face with both of his hands. “I miss Mommy. Can we go visit her? And grandma and grandpa too?”

 

Hyemi face looked crestfallen. “I miss Mommy too, Hyemi. We can go visit her tomorrow but…you know you can’t see her right?” Baekhyun pecked her forehead, his chest felt numb. “I know, Daddy. But why? Why did Mommy still go hiding underground? When will she ever get out of that place? I want to hug her. Yuhan misses her too.”

  

Baekhyun didn’t utter a word, he embraced Hyemi tighly and carried her to her bedroom before tucking her to sleep. The former soon fell asleep too with fatigue, tears and an empty spot next to him on his bed.