Chapter 2

Red Fluke [Hiatus]

 

Maybe the odds were not in Saehyun’s favour at the moment. Maybe she was indeed unlucky throughout her whole life after all. She was in the examinations season and she couldn’t come home to bid the last farewell to Saerom. After a whole night of grieving and crying away tears and if possible her sanity as well, she tried to confront her campus lecturer the next day to plead some mercy, she asked to put off her examinations papers towards a fortnight after but, the negative feedback hurt her more than she ever imagined. It was her final exams before graduation, so she doesn’t seem to find any other subtle solution.

 

And so she waited.

 

Her parents told her that it was alright, they comprehended the situation and reminded her to stay focus on her studies and could always pray from afar for her sister. As so she did.

 

 

Baekhyun sat forlornly on the ground. He was pouring in rain, and he doesn’t care about his grey trouser which had been tainted with filthy dark brownish stains from the mud. Almost everyone had left from the cemetery along with their sadness and sympathies, Baekhyun ought to understand. But never him. Saerom was everything to him. Now that she’s gone. He left with nothing.

 

The only person who stayed with him was his father in law, trying to cover him with his tiny umbrella from the downpour. It was vain. Baekhyun was so drowned and wet with rains and sadness he couldn’t get rid of. “Baekhyun,”

 

“I shouldn’t have let her drive alone that night, Dad. I’m dumb. I’m useless. How come I couldn’t think of this would happen?” Baekhyun tried really hard to prevent the tears from falling. “I love her so much Dad. Why did she left me alone with our children so early?”  

 

A comfort squeeze on his shoulder caused him to weep silently. He doesn’t need comfort. He needed Saerom, a woman who had lived with him through bad and good times for almost seven years. But he knew, she would never return. And it was unacceptable. 

 

His affection to her would never lessen and he couldn’t’ think how to move on, after all of this.

 

“Baekhyun, I know you’re sad, son. I am too. She’s my daughter. But everything that happened must have it purposes. If you think God is being unfair to you. You’re wrong. If you think you’re not getting what you should really has, you’re wrong too, son. God always has something spare for you and you need stay patient for that. Think about your children. They just lost their mother, how would they be if they lost their father too?”

 

Baekhyun abruptly smashed both of his palms onto the ground. He whimpered and tears streamed down his face as heavy as the rain that came. The words penetrated through his veins and the truth was too pain and unbearable.

 

Mr Kim was being a good father-in-law as he was, put aside the umbrella, crouched down to his knees and embraced the sobbing Baekhyun in his arms.

 

Tons of “It’s okay to cry" " Cry Baekhyun, let it all out" "Let all the pain inside you out" "You’ll get better after this, son” never die down even amidst thunderstorm and the sound of rain.