She can't talk. He won't talk.

Shattered

 

 

h a p t e r  F o u r

 

 

Hyuna had just finished showering and she stepped out to see a set of clean clothes on the bed, ready for her to wear. She felt like one of the owners of the house, which made her uncomfortable. She had to ask the young master soon what she was here for before these nice treatments drive her crazy.

 

She changed into the knee-length skirt and pink plain tee before brushing her hair and went down to the living room.

 

She was about to close the door until she remembered to take the post-it pad and pen along with her.

 

Junhyung was lready downstairs, eating his breakfast while scrolling through his emails on his iPad. The ahjumma went to the small dining table to give him his chocolate millk and smacked his right ear lightly.

 

“Eat first. Work later,” she said in a stern tone.

 

Junhyung pouted as he rubbed his ear and closed the cover of the iPad. She smiled and patted his head.

 

Hyuna saw the little interaction between the two at the top of the stairs and she couldn’t help but smile. Is the ahjumma related to him? She can easily pass as his mother if he hadn’t called her ahjumma.

 

She went down the stairs as quiet as possible, not wanting to attract any attention. But Junhyung was easily distracted when he’s not doing any work. The moment she stepped on the first step, he looked up, as if the step was as loud as an elephant’s.

 

Hyuna was just being held frozen by his stare and she didn’t know how to respond. Should she smile? she thought.

 

Junhyung didn’t smile and had this expression on his face that’s unreadable. He looked back down on his food and continued eating.

 

She continued going down the stairs and eventually stood across him, beside a chair.

 

Junhyung looked up slowly at her. “Aren’t you going to sit?”

 

She pursed her lips slightly and took a seat awkwardly.

 

Junhyung was confused as to why she had to wait for him to ask for her to sit across him but he just ignored it.

 

Suddenly he saw a piece of post-it being pasted on the table, infront of him. He looked at it and looked at her. He nodded blurly.

 

Before Hyuna could ask anything more, the elder lady walked out from the kitchen and placed a plate of scrambled eggs along with 2 slice of toast and some bacon infront of her.

 

“What would you like to drink dear?” she asked Hyuna politely with a smile.

 

Hyuna didn’t feel the right to ask for anything. She don’t even feel right eating the same breakfast as the young master. Who is she in the house anyway?

 

But not answering a question is rude. So she just went with a shake of the head.

 

“No drink?” the lady asked shocked. Hyuna nodded.

 

“Hm.. I’ll just give you plain water just in case you want to drink okay? Its not good to have a breakfast without any drinks,” she said and went back to the kitchen.

 

Hyuna looked across at Junhyung but he was too engrossed on choosing his scrambled eggs, poking it around with his fork.

 

She really wanted to ask about what she witnessed last night but she knows that she’s not in any place to have the right to ask him about his personal problems.

 

He looked very ill yesterday night, to the extent that he’s suffering. She remembered how he panted heavily and kicking his legs around to hold in the pain. His face really showed that he was in pain even though it was quite dark.

 

“Why are you staring at him, dear?” the elder one chuckled as she settled the glass on the table. Junhyung looked up meeting Hyuna’s eyes directly.

 

She didn’t realised that she was staring at him all along. She looked away awkwardly.

 

“Oh? What’s this?” the lady said and peeled the post-it from the table.

 

Are you okay?

 

She looked at Junhyung questioningly. Junhyung just shrugged in response and continued to eat.

 

The elder lady leaned forward a litle and pasted it on Junhyung’s iPad cover. Junhyung looked at her confused but she just walked back to the kitchen. Hyuna glanced at him to see if he would peel it off but he didn’t. He just left it there.

 

Junhyung finished eating and placed his iPad into his crumpler, getting ready to go. Quickly, Hyuna wrote on the post-it and paste it infront of him.

 

Where are you going?

 

“Work,” he said, looking up at her.

 

She scribbled quickly and paste another on the table.

 

What am I supposed to do here?

 

“Um.. anything? If you want to go out just tell one of the drivers to accompany you,” he said simply.

 

He was done packing and went to the kitchen.

 

“Ahjumma~ I’ll be going now..” he said dearly, hugging the elder lady from behind, swaying left and right.

 

“Arasso~ Do well at work okay?” she said, patting his cheeks. He grinned and nodded cutely.

 

He left a peck on her cheek before letting go and waving goodbye to the lady as he walked out of the kitchen.

 

He went out of the door and the door closed behind him. Hyuna noticed something different with his tone. The tone he used to answer her was the same as the time he was talking to the two older men at the Slave Market. But when he talked to the ahjumma, he was very child-like and pampered.