He's sad. She's bored.

Shattered

 

h a p t e r  S e v e n

 

“Junhyung-ah.. Be a good boy okay. Don’t cause trouble for anyone. Don’t…. don’t pick a fight..” Anna said softly, as she took in deep breaths.

Junhyung nodded and gave her a small smile, caressing her hand gently. “I promise omma.”

Anna smiled weakly, looking at her son for what may be the last time.

“Omma, I got this for you just now,” Junhyung took a light pink silk scarf from his bagpack and put it on his mother. “Isn’t it nice?” he smiled.

His mother felt the smooth cloth and simply nodded at her son.

“You look beautiul omma,” he said, holding her hand.

“You always know what to say Junhyung-ah..”

Junhyung was just there, sitting next to his mother’s bed as she lie down there with no strength left in her. She was pale and weak, just like her husband’s condition before he passed away.

“Junhyung-ah..” she called his name, softer and weaker than before.

“Hm?”

“Can you sing for omma.. one last time?” she requested.

Junhyung looked away slightly smiling to himself. “I can’t sing omma. What if it rains?”

“You can. I’ve heard you sing before. For omma.. please?” she asked again.

“Okay….. But promise me you won’t laugh,” he said, pouting a little.

“I won’t.. Promise,” she smiled.

Junhyung thought for awhile of a song and sang a slow song for his mother. Anna looked at her son dearly with a small smile on her face. The whole time Junhyung did not let go of her hand, dedictating the song just for her.

In the middle of the song, Anna took in deeper breaths, finding the difficulty to breathe. She gasped for air repeatedly, her eyes rolled back slightly.

Junhyung stopped singing and held on her hand tighter. He pursed his lips together, biting his lower lip slightly. Tears started streaming down his cheeks as he looked at his mother at the verge of death. Her death was a peaceful one. With one last breath, she stopped breathing and her eyes closed on its own.

Junhyung leaned forward and kissed her forehead before leaving a peck on her cheeks.

“I love you omma…” he whispered near her ear and kissed the back of her hand.

 

Junhyung woke up abruptly and felt that his cheeks were stained with his tears. He glanced over to his sidetable where a framed photo of his family photo was being settled at. He pursed his lips and brought his knees up to his chin as he hugged his legs to his chest. Junhyung let his head fall on his knees that were covered by the fluffy white comforter and cried softly to himself.

“Omma.. Appa.. I miss you both..” he said in between his sobs.

 

Junhyung wasn’t working that day. He stayed in his room until late noon, something he doesn’t always do. But Helda and the other servants understood his situation when he locked himself up in his room for a longer time than usual and they did not disturb him until he came down.

It was one of those days that Junhyung missed his parents so much that he doesn’t want to talk or see anyone for the meantime. He was still still in his late teens when his parents left him. He needs them. All he could do now was to treat Helda like his own mother but its not the same.

Junhyung opened his eyes that were already red and puffy and looked around his room. Maybe I should get up now..

 

Hyuna that had been around the house the whole morning kept on wondering why Junhyung didn’t come out from his room. She wanted to ask Helda but after being told indirectly by the young master to mind her own business, she has to think twice now before wanting to know about him.

She went around; to the kitchen, living room and even the garden to help out but there’s really nothing much she can do. The house has more than enough servants, cooks and garderners. In the end Helda told her to sit in the living room and help to spoon out the ready made cookie dough on the tray. It wasn’t anything necessary. Junhyung didn’t even ask for cookies. But seeing how bored Hyuna was around the house, she made the dough for cookies and told Hyuna to do the rest.

Hyuna was spooning out the dough on the tray when she saw someone walking down the stairs from the corner of her eyes.

Junhyung was well freshened up, dressed in a simple black t-shirt and ¾ pants. Hyuna looked up upon reflex to see who it was – although its pretty much obvious who it is – and saw Junhyung walking down. His hair was down and slightly wet at the ends.

He looked around the house and when he was about to turn to the living room area, Hyuna looked down immediately, turning her attention to the cookies.

Junhyung’s eyebrows furrowed slightly seeing Hyuna making cookies in the living room all of a sudden. What’s the occasion? he thought.

He went to the kitchen and saw Helda talking to the cooks happily while doing work.

“Oh! Goodmo- Good afternoon young master,” the cooked said as they bowed to him.

He smiled and nodded. “Afternoon.”

“Had a good rest?” Helda asked, cupping his face. He nodded again. Helda looked at his puffy eyes with concern.

“Is there any occasion that I didn’t know about?” Junhyung asked, trying to divert her attention from his eyes.

“Occasion? I don’t think so.. Why?” she replied.

“She’s making cookies,” Junhyung said, pointing to the living room.

“Ah.. She had nothing else to do so I told her to make some cookies,” Helda chuckled. “You’re not going anywhere right? Why not bring her out?”

Junhyung looked away and busied himself by looking at the dishes the cooks were cooking. “But she’s making cookies,” he said dismissively.

Helda sighed short. “She’s not going to bake the whole day Junhyung..” she shook her head at him.

Junhyung puffed out his cheeks. “Okay….. I’ll ask her. Maybe she doesn’t want to go out anyway,” he said, walking out of the kitchen.

Helda smiled at the cooks. “Maybe there’s a chance he’ll be back to his usual self.” The cooks just smiled in response.