Right in the face.

The Runaway Game - Killing a Mockingbird

 

Meeting you for the first time was like being hit with a hard brick on the face.

There was so much impact it hurt.

 


 

I thought freshmen orientations were supposed to be fun and enlightening. I never imagined it would be this boring. Almost everyone around me was on the verge of falling asleep. The dull and lifeless voice of the college dean was drowning everyone with words I'm sure no student understood. It was like he was from another planet talking in some foreign language.

 

He was quite old, dressed in formal attire with his slightly grey hair shining underneath the headlights. He wasn't slouching on the podium but his posture looked quite tired and I'm sure he was saying a lot of meaningful and inspiring things but right now I couldn't care less. I was more concerned whether I should just take a nap like everyone else is doing or not.

 

Just as I was about to close my eyes I felt someone tap my shoulders from behind gently as if trying to wake me up. Although I wasn't asleep it did get me snap out of it. I looked up and saw that the dean was already done talking and another person took his place at the podium.

 

I looked back to see who had tapped me and saw a fairly lean, kinda scrawny guy with...blond hair? He looked at me and gave me a small smile and I swear I felt myself blush. I turned away as quick as I could and tried to drown out everything that was going on around me.

 

As the orientation speeches started to die down everyone started standing up as instructed by the professors. We gave our bows and they bid us farewells, informing us of some dates to take note and other pointers. I checked my watch and saw that I still had some time left before Han-gil calls me for coffee so I decided to walk around the campus, see the place a bit more before the big day.

 

The campus was beautiful and had that nice rustic feel to it compared to other universities which I liked. The halls were nice a big and would soon be filled with bustling students trying to get to their respective classes on time. Seeing the place made me more happy with my decision. Plus the people here seemed pretty nice, well at least I'd like to think so.

 

Speaking of people...that blond guy was pretty cute though he could use some meat in him.

 

I didn't know why I turned away so fast! Maybe I was just embarrassed...I mean...I was staring at him..

 

I must have been pretty occupied when I didn't even notice where I was going and crashed myself into a pillar. I swear I felt like my nose broke from impact.

 

I stumbled a few steps, feeling like I'm gonna lose my footing any minute from now when I felt a pair of arms steady me. I was still feeling a bit disoriented and in pain so I didn't even bother looking at the person I crashed into. All I was concerned with was how painful my nose and forehead is right now.

 

"You ok miss?"

 

Oh god did I just crash into some trucker? I massaged my aching head and nose as the stranger gently ushered me to stand straight, his hands still on my shoulders trying to steady me.

 

Damn pillar why'd you have to be there? hurts a lot...

 

"Uh...yeah I'm ok. Sorry about that.."

 

The trucker guy removed his hands and did I just hear him laughing? I quickly turned around now a bit annoyed with his laughing when I saw who he was. Now I want the earth to swallow me up or something..

 

It was the cute blond guy from the orientation.

 

Great.

 

With both my nose and forehead red from the impact (and I think my cheeks too) I slowly bowed my head a bit in embarrassment before wanting to run away. I was really about to when I saw his hand reach out towards my face and I swear I felt my eyes bulging.

 

He must have noticed my reaction when he quickly withdrew his hand and shyly placed it on the back of his neck as if to scratch some itch there.

 

"Haha...sorry about that. You uh..have some dirt on your face. I was gonna remove it but that's kinda wrong and awkward..."

 

His voice was deep, like really deep, deeper than Han-gil's voice and didn't quite match his face. He was laughing a bit with his gums sticking out and I just stared there like a gaping fish.

 

"Uh right.. thanks."

 

I quickly tried to wipe away whatever dirt he was talking about and muttered a "Stupid pillar.." under my breath. He must have heard what I said cause now he's laughing again while shaking his head silly.

 

"It's ok, I'm sure it happens to a lot of us. I'm Yongguk by the way. You sure you're ok now miss?"

 

I could only give a curt nod, too embarrassed with the whole ordeal before introducing myself to him. I mean, it's only common courtesy right?

 

"I'm not sure about that. Park Hyejin. And uh...the pain will go away eventually."

 

He smiled at me and I couldn't help but smiling back. He had this gummy smile I normally saw with kids and immediately found it adoring. What is wrong with me? I just met the guy and here I am...flirting or something. I must have hit my head pretty hard.

 

 


 

Now that I think about it...maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all.

 


 

Finally updated again! Hope you guys like this! Enjoy!!