Love is Pain….Nothing else

Little Story of Mine

“Yeah, you maybe the son of one of the richest man in Korea but you don't deserve any money from him, even a cent. It just that the heir of the Cho Enterprise has to be you. There are other people who are way more deserving than you do”.

She sighed saying "Life is just so unfair"

After saying those words, she quickly went to the door and headed outside leaving me completely dumbfounded.

So many things were running inside my mind ‘Why is she angry? Did she really think that I’m looking down on her? Or pity her?’  I asked myself as I watched her remaining shadow vanished on the door. I hastily went outside and saw her heading to the left corridor. I was just about to follow her when my thoughts stopped me from doing so.

‘Aishh! Why am I following her? Do I need something from her? Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t know why I also went outside the room when she left. I don’t know why I’m here. And more importantly, I don’t know what I want from her!’ I ruffled my hair in frustration.

Seriously, this girl is really dangerous to me. She’s slowly destroying my innocent mind! Well not innocent, more like my incredible mind. (ehem…… just ignore that)

I then snapped out of my trance and proceeded, but not to her. I actually went to the opposite direction. I just wanted to go somewhere and get rid of these odd thoughts inside my head, but most of all, to get away from her.

I was walking down the corridor without a destination, not knowing where I’m heading to. I just remembered that I needed to get some fresh air, so I decided to go straight to the university’s garden. Our university is really huge so having 2 or more gardens are not a problem.

But some students said that there’s this certain garden that is exceptionally beautiful. It has a myth saying that “Whoever you are thinking while looking at that beauteous scenery is that you’ll fall in love with that person. Only him/her, no one else. Forever and for eternity”

I scoffed ‘What a stupid myth to believe in. Falling in love is never that easy. You do not fall in love just by thinking about that person day and night or just by believing in myths or even buying love charms. One thing I learned from love, is that it only brings you pain. A lot of pain’


~ Flash Back ~                                                                         

Heavy panting echoed throughout a certain alley. Two people, a mother and her child were trying to get away from the guys who are armed with deadly weapons. They kept running and running around the dark and scary alley. The child, being as innocent as he is, asked his mother.

“Mommy, why are we running?” little Kyuhyun asked her panting mother “And where’s daddy?”

“Baby, just keep running and don’t worry about your dad. I’m sure he’s fine” Kyuhyun’s mother assured him with a smile.

“But I’m tired. And my legs hurt” Kyuhyun whined and stopped on his tracks to take a rest. His mother also stopped and kneels in front of him.

“Then do you want mommy to carry you?” His mother asked in which Kyuhyun replied by nodding his head vigorously. His mother chuckled at his son’s cute action. She’s surely going to miss this cute son of hers when she leaves, she thought.

She then lifted Kyuhyun up and enveloped him with her warm and motherly hug, protecting him from all the dangers around them right at that very moment. And she continued running, wandering around the alley to find a safe place to hide.

After running for quite some time, she found a safe and secluded place where she and her son could hide and rest. It was inside an abandoned 3-story building but she prefers staying on the ground floor for easy escape than of the upper floors.

“Baby, just stay here for a while okay. Mommy just needs to do something” His mother instructed him and kissed his forehead before going off to somewhere.

Kyuhyun obeyed his mother’s instructions and remained in his position, sitting down on an old wood block while munching some cookies he had kept before all of this had happened. After a while, he heard some gun shots booming around the entire ground floor. Being curious on why gun shots were heard especially in that secluded area, he moved from his position and went closer to where he had heard the gun shots louder and clearer.

There he saw an open door which he believed that his mother had went through a while ago but it was pitch black. He can’t even see what’s going on inside that open door. And so, Kyuhyun went nearer, closer even though he feels frightened. He just wants to know if his mother is safe and alright.

His doubts were answered when he saw his mother running rather frantically towards him, enveloping him with a tight hug. His mother is crying but Kyuhyun doesn’t know why so he just returned the hug.

“Mommy, why are you crying? Did you saw a ghost there? Do you want me to kill it for you?”

His mother pulled out from the hug and looked at his face. She caressed his cheeks for a while before showing a bitter smile.

“Baby, you know that I love you so much right?” Kyuhyun’s mother questioned him. He just nodded in response to his mother not knowing the real reason on why his mother is asking those things.

“And that no matter what happens, I will always love you. Forever and ever” Again, Kyuhyun nodded.

His mother then cupped his chubby cheeks, leaning closer to kiss his forehead several times before whispering.

“Kyuhyun-ah, you’re not mommy’s little baby anymore. You’re all grown up now. So you have to promise mommy something” Kyuhyun tilted his head, confused on her mother’s statement.

“Kyuhyun, I want you to promise me that you’ll always be strong whether me nor your dad are with or without you. Promise me that you’ll always continue to live even if things get rough and hard. And promise me that you will never give up no matter what happens” His mother stated carefully as tears cascaded down her beautiful pale face. She held out her shaking pinky while saying those in which Kyuhyun quickly interlocked with his after seeing his mother cry that hard in front of him for the first time.

His mother smiled, but this time, it’s not a bitter one. She beamed a genuine smile that shows an undying and unwavering love of a mother for her child. She then stood up and offered her hand to her son “Come on, let’s go now”

Kyuhyun immediately grabbed hold of her mother’s hand and went outside the abandoned building. While walking, he could hear footsteps behind them, following them wherever they go. He felt his mother lightly squeezing his tiny hand, reassuring him that it’s alright and that she’s always there to protect him from any harm. But little Kyuhyun remembered what her mother told him “to be strong with or without his parents” so he swiftly retracted his hand away from her mother’s, grabbed a random wood on the side and dashed forward to the man wearing a black suit behind them in hope of knocking him down with the wood he is holding and save themselves from danger.

“BANG”

A loud gunshot echoed all throughout the narrow street and onto Kyuhyun’s ear. He closes his eyes; feeling scared of the roaring sound of the gun.  He then heard the man grumbling something.

“, , !” The man cursed repeatedly and took out his phone. “Boss, I shot the woman, what should I do? Oh…… okay. I understand” After talking in the phone, the man vanished in to the darkness.

Kyuhyun opened his eyes and looked at the figure before him. There lies his mother, all soaked up with her own blood. Kyuhyun immediately knelt down and shook her hysterically.

“Omma, stand up! We have to go!” Kyuhyun cried, trying to support his mother to stand up but failed to do so. His mother is far weaker to even stand up. “Omma, we have to bring you to the hospital”

“K-kyuhyun-ah,” His mother still managed to talk even if it’s already hoarse and wavering “Run, I-I want you t-to run. R-run away from h-here. Run as f-far as your feet can take you t-to”

“But h-how about y-you? I can’t j-just leave you like t-this” Kyuhyun stuttered because of all the crying it became hard for him to breathe properly.

“Omma will b-be f-fine. Omma i-is strong right? T-that’s why you a-also have t-to be strong too, just l-like your p-promise, o-o-okayy??” His mother stated although she’s already coughing blood. She smiled one last time “I’ll always love you Kyuhyun, always remember that. Now go and fulfill your promise”

Kyuhyun was left no choice. He just wanted to fulfill his mother’s last request. Slowly, he got up from his knees but before he left, he planted an innocent yet chaste kiss on his mother’s forehead and whispered “I love you too” His mother smiled one last time before closing her eyes and drifting in to her very deep slumber.

Kyuhyun then began running. He ran and ran around the dark alley wherever his feet brings him to. When he turned into a corner, he tripped. Kyuhyun felt sharp stones piercing his skin creating a large visible wound on both his knees and elbows but the pain was nothing compared to his bleeding heart. Seeing his mother die helplessly in front of his very own eyes was too much and unbearable to him.

He hugged his legs and buried his face in between his bleeding knees while he silently whimpered in the darkness. After crying for a while which feels like an eternity for Kyuhyun, he heard a roaring sound of car engines. A man got out of the black car and walked towards him. He lifts his head up but the tears were blocking his vision making it difficult for him to recognize the person standing in front of him.

“Kyuhyun-ah” The man’s deep voice echoed inside his ears and he knew exactly who it was. It was his father. He then felt a pair of arms bringing him up and carrying him inside the car. After entering, he still didn’t let go of his father and even buried his face on his chest, looking for comfort.

“Kyuhyun, it’s okay. Daddy’s here. I’ll always protect you and I will always love you” His father whispered as he rubbed his back, soothing him from whimpering.

Kyuhyun fell asleep afterwards. When he woke up, he’s already in the hospital. He scanned the whole room in hope of seeing his father but he only spotted their maids and butlers. One of the maids approached him.

“Is there a problem young master?” The maid questioned. Kyuhyun shook his head and smiled.

“There’s nothing wrong but where’s daddy?”

“Mr. Cho  told me that he’ll be attending some meetings today young  master”

“When will he come back?”

“I’m sorry, but he didn’t tell us when” The maid bowed apologetically.

“Oh, it’s okay. I’ll just wait for him then” The maid nodded and returned to her previous spot.

Several days have passed and Kyuhyun was ready to be discharged from the hospital but his father never showed up, not even once. In the car, Kyuhyun asked the body guard sitting beside him.

“Mister, when will daddy come back?”

“I’m sorry young master but your father didn’t tell us when”

Those type of conversations repeated everyday with Kyuhyun asking the same question over and over again while the maids, butlers, body guards, almost everyone answering the same ‘I don’t know master’ Kyuhyun felt depressed. He thought that his father doesn’t love him anymore because of what happened to his mother. His eyes began to get teary when he remembered his mother’s memories flashing before his eyes, especially the day when she died. He quickly wiped his tears away when he heard someone entering the mansion.

“Kyuhyun” The man called. Kyuhyun already guessed who’s the owner of the voice and wasted no time as he swiftly ran downstairs.

“Appa, appa, appa!!!” Kyuhyun shouted several times, happy to see his father again.

“Kyuhyun, how have you been?” His father asked enveloping him with a warm hug. Kyuhyun ignored his father’s question.

“Where did you go? Why didn’t you visit me in the hospital?” Kyuhyun pouted earning a chuckle from his father.

“I have just been busy lately”

“Then rest first so we can play later” Kyuhyun grinned.

“I wish, but I can’t. I really have to go now. I still have some appointments to attend today. I just dropped by to see if you’re fine. And I can see that you’re alright now.”

“But you just got home!!!” Kyuhyun whined stomping his feet forcefully. His father tried to calm him down by grabbing both of his cheeks.

“Kyuhyun, please understand me. I’m only doing this because I don’t want you to get hurt. Because I love you so much” His father smiled and pinched his chubby cheeks.

“When will you come back?” Kyuhyun asked when he calmed down.

“As fast as I could” With that, his father went outside and entered his car. Kyuhyun just watched the car as it zoomed out of his sight, leaving him completely alone outside. He didn’t realized that a tear already flowed down his face as he whispered “I love you too”

Several weeks have passed but Kyuhyun’s father didn’t show up. He only received calls, texts and letters from him, mostly saying ‘please understand and I love you’. At first, Kyuhyun felt happy because even though his father is very busy in his work, he still makes time to call, text and write letters to him. But after quite some time, he felt disappointed because if his father really loves him, then he would definitely find ways to meet and talk to him personally even if he’s very busy.  Not just calling, texting and writing letters to him.

That disappointment soon turned in to anger and hatred. He hated the fact that his father always tell him that he loves him but in reality, he doesn’t. He only cares about his work and money. At least that’s what Kyuhyun thought from his perspective. That’s the beginning when he started to hate the word “love”.

~ End of Flash Back~


 “LOVE. Love took everything I have. It left me broken and hurt. Because of that word, I lost my mother. Because of that word, my father is always busy. Because of that word, I experienced a great deal of pain. Because of that word, I stopped believing in love and because of that word, I will never love again” I mumbled repeatedly while looking at my feet as I walked, not looking where I’m heading to.

“Mr. Choi” Someone called me. I lifted my head up and looked around. I then spotted a lady carrying a uniform as she walked towards me.

“Ms. Jiyeon-ssi” I bowed as I greeted her and she did the same too. Although I’m really stubborn and arrogant, I still don’t forget Korean Culture.

“Here is your new uniform” Jiyeon said and handed me the new uniform.

“Thank you, but how did you know I need a new set of uniform?” I asked curiously, surprised on how she already knew.

“Just an instinct and partly because of the students’ blogs and tweets” She smiled showing me her phone, revealing some of the students’ blogs and tweets about that poison-like-girl spilling his coffee on me.

“Wow! News spread that fast ah!” I exclaimed.

“I know right” She answered and we both laughed.

After our conversation, I changed in to my new uniform and head back to class, since the teacher will surely scold me if I’m late and not to mention Siwon. I went inside the H.E room but I didn’t see Siwon.

‘Maybe he went to the bathroom or something’ I told myself. I then proceeded, sitting at the back since I don’t want to be disturbed. I was starting to doze off already when I heard a couple of girls and boys laughing and giggling to each other. I felt annoyed because I want to sleep but they’re making some irritating noise. I was just about to tap the shoulder of the guy in front of me to shut him up when I accidentally heard their conversation.

“Wow! Sooyoung-ssi looks really cool a while ago!” The guy in front of me said.

“I know. And her voice sounds angelic too!” Another guy followed.

“And when she shouted, gosh! Amazing!” This time, a girl spoke up.

“And the way she stuttered, ooh!!!!! So cute!!” The girl on the left side giggled.

“I want to be just like her!” The girls squealed together.

“And I want to court her!” The guys said in unison.

I was like………’WHAT THE HELL?! A girl with an angelic voice? The way she stuttered was cute? The way she shouted was amazing? Do those kind of descriptions of someone even exist?’ I pondered inside my head ‘And who the heck is this Sooyoung girl they’re talking about?!’

Soon their noise was getting louder and louder with each passing second which made me extremely pissed off. I abruptly stood up and went near them.

“Could you guys go back to your respective places and shut your big mouths. I’m trying to sleep here, okay?” I told them with my calmest voice which I never thought I have, although my statement is kinda harsh.

 All of them nodded their heads and went to their seats. I then looked at the guy who’s sitting in front of me.

“Who’s this Sooyoung you’re talking about?” I asked straight to the point.

“E-eh??” The guy asked nervously.

“Don’t make me repeat it again” I sternly said. I can see that he suddenly tensed up because he’s pulling his collar to breathe properly as beads of sweat appear on his forehead.

“She’s one of the members in the must have girlfriend in the university” I nodded, satisfied with his answer since I have no interest about those things. I was already making my way to my seat when the guy suddenly spoke up.

“And she was the one who spilled coffee on you”

“So Sooyoung is her name” I smirked and sat comfortably on my seat, relieved that I now know her name.

‘But wait, she’s one of the must have girlfriend in the entire university? Are all the students here crazy?! But………….. she does have some good points. Like her long raven hair, her well-defined jaw line, her beautifully shaped collarbone, her smooth skin, her mouthwatering legs her…..WAIT WHAT?!! Why am I thinking about these things?! Arghh!!!! She’s poisoning my mind again!’ I groaned frustrated and slammed my head on to my desk.

I then heard the loud banging sound of the door “I guess someone opened the door forcefully” I laughed silently, still not lifting my head up.

“Ehem, why are you both late? And why are you holding each other’s hands?” I heard Mr. Park questioned. I lift my head up to see who he is pertaining to and my  jaw literally dropped when I saw Siwon and that poison-like-girl, I mean Sooyoung holding each other’s hands. They quickly released their hold from one another and looked away. I could clearly see that Siwon’s face is really beat red and also Sooyoung’s. Just then, the whole class began to tease the two of them. I wanted to yell and stop them but it seems like my throat isn’t working. It’s like I suddenly lost the ability to talk. Good thing Mr. Park shouted.

“Quiet class!!! You two, next time don’t be late. Now go and proceed to your seats” Mr. Park instructed and continued his lesson.

I saw Sooyoung sitting beside me followed by Siwon who sits in front of her. I was so busy making up a sentence to start a conversation with Siwon when I saw Sooyoung tapping his shoulder as she leaned forward.

‘What the f---- is she doing?! Her face is so close to him?! Both of them could practically kiss each other with that kind of distance!! And why is Siwon not moving away? Don’t tell me he likes it. Does he?’ I shouted mentally to myself. I then felt something breaking in my hand. I looked down and saw my pen split in to half.

“! I broke my pen. I really need something to squeeze right now without breaking it” I grunted. Just then, an idea suddenly popped inside my head. I grabbed my bag and dug something inside. I fished out some used paper and crumpled it, releasing all the stress I have. I let my hand squished the pitiful paper mercilessly. I don’t know why I feel angry, maybe it’s just because Siwon didn’t tell me where he went and instead he hangout with Sooyoung and even held each other’s hands.

I made up my mind and threw the paper to Siwon, hitting the back of his head. He lifts his head and looked around. When his eyes landed on me, I smirked. I don’t know if it is just me or does he look kind of depress but I just shrugged those thoughts away when he mouthed something to me.

“What?” He mouthed. I replied by mouthing something to him too.

“You’re dead” And I crumpled another piece of paper. I was just about to throw it to him when I remembered that poison-like-girl sitting beside me. I quickly shifted my aim. Instead of throwing the paper to Siwon, I threw it to Sooyoung, hitting the side of her face in the process.

I was startled when Siwon tried to stand up from his seat but failed because the seat was small. I’m curious on why he did that but I still continued throwing papers to Sooyoung when she threw the paper back and hit my precious nose. Soon, we ended up having a heated throwing paper battle to each other.

‘But somehow, I felt that someone’s watching us. Our every move’