Rebound.

Rebound.

 

 

“Sehun-ssi..” A soft voice called out as he was walking along the empty school halls to his own locker. He just finished his varsity practice and as a good captain he is, he always was the last one to leave. The sun has set and everything was starting to dim. In a few minutes he’ll be back in his own trance again; the darkness full of sadness, the world which was full of regrets and despairs. A world he himself created ever since he found out that the noona he adored for a long time just accepted a confession.

He stopped his tracks and looked over his shoulder only to find the school’s fairy-queenka, Jung Mirae. Jung Mirae was the most popular student in their school.  Just like any other queenka, she was nosy; she had that pitchy voice that can irritate anyone and that attitude which makes you voluntary move out of her way. But she wasn’t mean, she never took advantage of her social position, to be honest she was just passive about everything. She had entirety at the tip off her fingers. And like any other girl, she was after him. But unlike any other girl, she was after him- secretly.

“Oh, Mirae-ssi.” He said with his monotonous voice. He turned to face her only to be struck by a normal looking vibrant girl who was leaning her back on the wall- shoulders deflated and head hung low. She looked up at him weakly forcing out a smile.

He walked closer stopping a foot or two away from her.

They weren’t friends but it’s safe to say that they’re cool with each other.

If Mirae was the queenka and Sehun is the MVP of the basketball varsity, what do you think happens next? EVERYBODY SHIPS!

A word or two every now and then are the only things they’ve shared.  He never really had anything against her. It wasn’t like she asked and fought for the position she had at the school- it was one of the freebies when gifted with a perfect pale-blemish less and milky skin to top that of with perfect pointed nose, pearly teeth and doe eyes. Then again, he had nothing against her- it was just the school’s making a big fuss about both of them being nearly perfect  and he doesn’t want to give in to the rumors since his heart already holds a special senior which was now out of his league.

He was just not into her because she’s… a queenka. And having the stereotype in his dictionary did not help, at all.

“Do you have a problem? Why are you still here? It’s getting dark outside and barely no one’s around. Are you okay?” He asked out of mere curiosity.

She gave him one of those dull looks again.

He never thought that a queenka could have this gentle side.

Prejudice.

She sighed deeply.

“I know I’m not in the right position and we aren’t really close- wait we aren’t even friends to begin with but can I ask you a favor?” She let out carefully.

He nodded reluctantly.

“Sure.” He said his lower lip in the process.

“Can you please listen to me and don’t say anything ‘till I say so?”

“Because sometimes all we need is someone who listens.” Sehun remembered these words from his own mom.

“Uh, sure.” He shuffled on his position a bit and looked at expectantly.

“Promise?” She said a tad livelier.

He gave her a small smile before nodding comfortingly.

She huffed and with a tiny fist pump (which made him somewhat chuckle) she started speaking.

“I know you never saw me seriously. I mean you did not really bother to give me a glance. You-”

“Wait this is about me?” He cut off surprised.

She sighed before looking down. “You promised.” She said softly.

“Oh yeah. Right. I’m sorry. Carry on.”

“I’m sure you only saw me as the girly queenka who always got her nose up in the air. The princess who doesn’t do much. The Mirae that gets chased around by guys.” She let out a forced giggle at her last statement.

He bit his tongue to be able to keep his  promise.

Right.

She finally raised up her head and met eyes with him.

“But this time I hope to give you a different light. You are going through something that probably feels like everything does not and will never ever make sense. All the ‘what ifs’, all the ‘I should have’ are probably hunting you every night. You are hurting. You are broken. I know.”

“But… I just want you to know that it pains me too. It pains me even more than it hurts you. My whole body itches in melancholy as I see you down and crumpled. I know I won’t really make that much of a difference for now but I hope you can give me the chance. The chance of letting you see the real me that’s hidden in this facade. The chance of letting you know the true Mirae…”

He stared at her in shock.

“The true Mirae that has true feelings for the true Sehun; Not the kingka-MVP-Sehun but the Oh Sehun who has a habit of his  lower lips not for fan service but just a habit he picked up when he got a wound on his lower lips way back in 5th grade- the Sehun who repeatedly ram his fingers through his hair whenever agitated, the one who purposefully purses his lips to  a thin line to stop himself from being rude, and the Sehunnie whose lisps only show up when he’s nervous or confused.”

Another forced playful smile escaped her lips before all her courage went down the drain. She sighed and looked down at her shaking hands again.

“I just- I like you, okay? For real. And a lot. A whole lot.”

Sehun in a breath he never knew he deprived himself from. And Sehun in the information he never knew he deprived himself from.

He honestly felt somewhat relieved but at the same time, he knew perfectly well that it was wrong.

A long silence stretched out as both of them tried to recollect their lost threads.

“You can talk now.” She finally said, meekly.

He blinked his eyes several times as he repeatedly wet his lips with his tongue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mirae- I- It’s-look- I-”

“You’re a charming girl. And I never thought you had this side of you. Because in all honesty, I let my prejudice take over. And I apologize for that… I… I appreciate the things you told me and I commend your honesty.”

He pinched his nose bridge feeling the panging pain on his head as she felt the pain in her chest. She looked up at him only to find the mysterious gaze she fell for in the first place.

“But I don’t think it’s right for a man to use another girl to get over heartache. I don’t think it’s reasonable to tie you with my own misery.”

He said, honestly meaning ever word.

She opened to speak but she found no words. She repeated the act for several times before squinting her eyes shut and biting down on her own lip her head then again hanging low. She didn’t know how long how long she was in that position but she was brought backto reality when she heard a soft shuffling in front of her. Then came the sound of soft footsteps.

He was walking away.

It was now or never and she was nowhere near giving up.

“I don’t care!” She blurted out a bit louder than necessary making him stop in his tracks for the second  time.

“I don’t care.” She repeated as he looked back at her.

“I don’t give a damn if you’ll only use me to get over your stupid infatuation with Chokyung sunbae-nim!”

They said love could make you do things you never thought you’d sign up for.

“It’s okay for me to be a cover up. Think of me as a vitamin to pull you back up from your illness.”

They said love can make you sacrifice the things you never thought you had.

She bravely took slow steps to where he was, tears forming in her eyes. knotting to a unbelievably tight loop.

“I won’t mind-” She sniffed softly and looked at him straight in the eyes.

“being a rebound.”

I guess they were right.

 

--

 

Comments are loved. ;)