Element 9: Warming up to you

I Have to Win

[Yoseob’s POV]

            It had been a month since I started training DJ. As much as I hate to admit it, he’s a fast learner. He had already mastered my training courses and his time on the mud slope was even better than Kikwang or Hyunseung. I could, however, never tell him that. I wouldn’t want it to go to his head.

            When we had our downtime between sessions, Doojoon and I would have lunch and breaks with Hakyeon. I had to admit, when he wasn’t so obsessed with fighting, DJ was actually a pretty decent guy. He’s actually pretty funny when you get to know him, and he’s a great leader to his teammates, Junhyung and Dongwoon. I managed to learn that he’d been an elemental fighter since early high school but his maknae only joined the team two years ago. Whenever Doojoon wasn’t in the ring, he’d play soccer or study for tests. I had to admit, I kind of liked the softer side of Doojoon.

            “Ahh, that was delicious,” Doojoon smiled leaning back in the soft grass where we were having lunch, “Thanks Hakyeon.”

            “Don’t thank me, Wonsik made it,” Hakyeon replied as I smiled at the two.

            “Oh yeah, I’ve never met your boyfriend,” Doojoon remarked to the dark-skinned nature elemental.

            “That’s because Ravi hates you,” I chuckled only to see Doojoon’s eyes widen.

            “RAVI?!” Doojoon yelled, “As in Hyde’s leader, Ravi?!”

            Hakyeon chuckled, “That’s the guy. We’re called Jekyll and Hyde; you’d think there’d be a connection between our two teams.”

            Doojoon scratched his head. “I guess I never thought of it that way.”

            “You’re an idiot,” I joked causing the jerk to grab my collar in anger. I simply laughed and he let go. It was fun provoking him sometimes.

            Doojoon sighed, “Well, um, tell Ravi thanks for the meal, he’s a good cook. And also, let him know I’m sorry for breaking both his legs in our last match.”

            “Yeah, the whole week he was laid up for that, Ravi was really irritable,” Hakyeon replied, but if he got to know this side of you, I’m sure he’d forgive you, eventually.”

            “Maybe we could meet sometime?” Doojoon smiled. I had to admit, I really liked that smile of his.

            “I’ll see what I can do,” Hakyeon replied.

             I sat quietly, munching my food when I met eyes with Doojoon. We stared at each other for a moment in silence before he reached his hand over and rubbed his thumb along my cheek. I blushed as he pulled it away and wiped it on a napkin.

            “Geez,” he commented, “You should be more careful about getting sauce on you cheeks, YangYo.”

            “Oh right,” I furiously rubbed my cheeks, embarrassed for not only spilling sauce but for blushing when he touched me.

            “By the way YangYo,” Doojoon remarked, a smirk on his face, “You’ve really let your guard down around me.” He pointed his chopsticks at me. “You’ve grown soft.”

            “What!” I stood angrily, “I’m just as tough as ever.”

            “Doubt that,” Doojoon remarked, pissing me off, “All you do these day is supervise me, but I haven’t see you train yourself in weeks.”

            “T-That’s because you’re so hopeless, I need to watch over you twenty-four-seven!” I yelled a bit too defensively. As much as I didn’t want to admit it, Doojoon had a point. I was slacking off in my training, but I didn’t want this jerk to look down on me.

            “I’m hopeless?” Doojoon stood. “I’m just new to your training grounds. I bet if you were to go to my grounds, we’d have an entirely different story.”

            “I can handle anything you throw at me!”

            Doojoon smirked, “Is that so; then how about we challenge that theory? This weekend, we’ll go to the mountains, and I’ll show you how the infamous DJ prepares for a match.”

            “Fine,” I smirked, “You’re on.”

 

 

[Dongwoon POV]

 

            It’s not like I didn’t see this coming. It’s not that I wasn’t ready for this, but the day I sat in Kikwang’s car, waiting to reach his place, I couldn’t help feeling a giant lump in my stomach. It’d been over a month since Kikwang inadvertently asked me to move in with him, and although I was dead-set against it back then, I found myself quickly approaching his residence. Thank God this was only for a week.

            I leaned back in the soft leather seat of Kikwang’s luxury vehicle. It was a busy week for Black Eclipse and Aegyo Storm. My team had three matches in five days while Kikwang’s group had two. Because of the insanity, I couldn’t afford to go home and I couldn’t stay with Junhyung because his parents were becoming suspicious of his fighting. I would’ve stayed with Doojoon but he hasn’t been at home as of late. We had no idea what he was always up to but we knew for certain that it had to do with YangYo.

            “We’re almost there, Woonie.” Kikwang spoke. At this point, I had given up on keeping him from calling me Woonie. We turned into a bit of a ritzy, suburban neighborhood. Large houses seemed to line the streets.  This neighborhood seemed way too high class for someone as down to earth as Kikwang; then again I never expected him to drive such a luxury car. After a couple of minutes, we pulled into the gravel driveway a large villa. I had never seen a place so big in my life. I glanced over at Kikwang expecting there to be some sort of mistake but he simply parked his car in front of the garage and turned off the engine.

            “Well we’re here,” Kikwang smiled at me.

            “I stepped out of the passenger door and stared at the house as Kikwang grabbed my luggage from the back seat.”

            “What the hell, Kikwang, did you rob a bank?!” I yelled and the short boy chuckled.

            “Guess I forgot to mention that I’m kinda wealthy,” Kikwang rubbed the back of his head.

            “How wealthy?” I raised my eyebrow.

            “Ever heard of Daebak Entertainment?” Kikwang asked and my jaw dropped.

            “You mean the biggest entertainment company in the country?! Formed from the merger of SM, JYP, and YG in 2120, it has the rights to any and all music to come out before that time and it continues to crank out hundreds of award winning artists!”

            Kikwang chuckled, “Someone seems to know there entertainment history.” I nodded as he continued. “Well the thing is my father is the current CEO of Daebak.”

            I stared at the boy, stunned. ‘Is he serious?’ “A-are you kidding me?!”

            “Sometimes I wish I was,” He started to walk away. “My dad wants me to take over the company once I graduate. I started martial arts to deal with the stress and last year moved out of my dad’s mansion and moved out here. It’s a nice place, but it’s kinda lonely. I miss having someone to talk to.”

            “Is that why you asked me to move in with you?” I asked, following him to the door. “Why didn’t you just ask Yoseob or Hyunseung to stay with you?”

            “Too far from campus,” he replied. “Yoseob likes to stay nearby campus so he can focus on his studies. And Hyunseung, believe it or not, is stubbornly independent. That’s why he won’t let me…”

            Kikwang paused covering his mouth. I tilted my head in curiosity as he turn toward the front door and pulls out his key, keeping his lips pressed together, as though he was trying to keep something from spilling passed them.

            “He won’t let you what?” I pressed for information.

            “Nothing!” He defended, rather poorly, “It’s not important.” He pushed open the door and ushered into the villa. “Welcome to my not-so-humble abode.” 

            I walked in, eyes widening at the rather fancy corridor before me. If there was one thing I didn’t expect Kikwang to have, it was class, but damn was I proven wrong. The entryway was painted silver and pearl white and, there where elegant paintings hung on the walls. I turned to my right to see a cute cherub shaped fountain standing on one side of a wooden shoe box while a plant sat on the other side. Only one word could describe this entryway, rich.

            “So my parents decorated the whole main floor so it’s not really my style, but I’m too lazy to change anything around,” Kikwang explained as he pulled off his shoes and placed them on the rack before pulling off a pair of house shoes. I nodded and quickly removed my shoes as well, following the boy into the villa.

            “The main floor,” Kikwang explained, “has the kitchen, dining room, communal area, living room and outside there is the deck. I have a pool but it’s empty right now. I’ve yet to clean it in a while.”

            “Can’t you just hire a servant to do that?” I asked.

            “I could,” Kikwang shrugged, “but sometimes, I just prefer to do things for myself. Hard work trains the body, y’ know.”

            ‘Such an interesting guy,’ I thought but mentally slapped myself when staring at him. I honestly hated the fact that I was falling even harder for him, especially knowing that he would never like me that way. Would I really be able to survive staying with him for the entire week?

 

 

[Kikwang’s POV]

 

            I showed Dongwoon around my perimeter. I gave him a tour of the main floor as well as my basement, where I had a martial arts studio specifically for my martial arts and elemental training. I explained that it would be where I trained him from now on. He didn’t seem too upset about it. After the grand tour, I showed Dongwoon to my guest room. It was a simple room with a queen sized bed, and oak dresser, a closet and a small mid-sized TV mounted on the wall. I told Dongwoon that he could decorate the room however he wanted, but he insisted that he wouldn’t be staying long. That somehow upset me.

            After the grand tour, I allowed Dongwoon to shower and get comfortable while I went to make dinner. I wasn’t much of a cook and usually would just order in, but because it was Dongwoon’s first night with me, I thought I’d do something special. I started cutting the some green onion and radish when I felt a presence leering over my shoulder.

            “Sol-Lang-Tang?” He asked as he scanned over all the ingredients, “That’s traditional.”

            I smiled, “Well we are Korean.”

            He leaned over on the counter watching me work. “You know, you’re cutting that wrong.”

            I paused glancing at the boy as he took the knife from my hand and pushed me aside. Quickly he started cutting the vegetables as I watched.

            “So the great Son Nam Shin is a cooking expert,” I joked and I could swear a saw a hint off red appear on his cheeks.

            “I-It’ just a hobby I picked up to feed my sister when our parents weren’t home.” He answered before turning to the rest of the vegetables.

            I couldn’t help smile at him before turning to prepare the meat. We worked together to prepare the meal and before I knew it, it was time to eat. We spent dinner talking about ourselves and our lives. I told him about my family and he told me about his. I learned that his family encourages elemental powers, unlike most families that hide it. He also told me a lot about his cute little sister and her power over illusions. I figured she must be adorable, considering how attractive Dongwoon is. After dinner, we both headed off to bed; after all we both had early morning classes. We kindly said our goodnights and headed off to our own rooms.

            I groggily walked down the unlit hallway toward my kitchen. I hated it when my mouth became dry in the middle of the night. By how often it happened, one would think I on cotton while I sleep. I grabbed a glass of water from the faucet and headed back toward my room when I heard noises coming from Dongwoon’s. I quietly pushed open his door and peeked in, only to notice younger boy tossing and turning in his sleep.

            “No, No,” he mumbled while clutching his blanket. I crept in further. “No,” he continued and I froze. “I’m not a monster. I’m not! Don’t lock me away!”

            I sighed. It was one of those kinds of nightmares. Many elementals had dreams of being out casted. To most of the world, elementals are seen as freaks, abominations, and inhuman. It’s not like we asked for our powers, but people often treat us like the scum of the earth, which is why our powers always stay hidden on the surface. It’s not uncommon for our kind to have nightmares about these things. There’s always a fear in the back of our minds that they’ll lock us up just for being what we are. I, myself, have never had these night terrors but Yoseob sure has and now Woonie is experiencing this pain. It tears me up inside to see him so flustered.

            I quietly snuck over to his bed, watching him panic in his sleep.

            “No, No, I’m not a monster!”

            “No you’re not,” I spoke quietly as I gently wiped the sweat from his forehead. I hate seeing these night terrors. “Don’t believe what anyone tells you Woonie. You’re a brilliant, talented, handsome young man. Your powers make you special and no one should tell you differently.”

            I noticed Dongwoon calm down a little, but the poor boy ways still shaking. I sat down next to him, his hair as I softly whispered words of encouragement. I don’t know why I was so inclined to take care of him. I just felt like he needed me, the way I needed him.

            When Woonie started to settle, I knew it was my time to leave. I stood up, reaching to grab my glass of water on his night stand when I felt a tug on my shirt. I looked down to see the unconscious Son Nam Shin, grasping my nightwear, as though he didn’t want me to go. I didn’t have the heart to leave him, not after that display of adorability. The next thing I knew I was crawling under the sheets next to him and watched as he laid his head on my chest.

           I stared at his sleeping figure for a moment before turning to the ceiling. I knew in my mind that I was straight. In a way I was a bit of a womanizer. However, seeing this sleeping male god on my chest couldn’t help but make my heart race. Maybe I’m not as straight as I thought. Maybe Hyunseung and Yoseob had finally worn off on me. Maybe I was just confused.  Well whatever was going on inside me there was one thing I knew for sure.

 

            ‘Son Dongwoon, I think I’m falling in love with you.’

 

 

 

                



A/N : 

Sorry, it's been so long. I've been very busy with my other fic lately, but I haven't given this one up. I seek to finish it no matter what

 

Currently, I've been working on my other fic and for those of you who also read "Lord of Shadows" the reason I haven't updated is because I'm getting things settled with the co-author change as well as school is kicking me in the . But both this and Lord of Shadows will start getting updated again soon so be patient with me. 

Also, I'm creating an chart of elemental types. Lemme know if you're interested in the comments and I might post it at the end of the next chapter. See you later.