Element 8: Strength

I Have to Win


 

[Dongwoon’s POV]



 

            “Woonie, you fight the first match.”

            “What, me, I fight the initial match,” I yelled, a bit panicked, “I can’t! I’ve only been in one match and I lost to the Prince.”

           “Hyunseung is just stronger,” Junhyung answered. “He’s a rare case. Dongwoon, you can handle this, I’ve seen you fight. I need to take the second match.”

            “But... I...”

            “Son Nam Shin, You can win this,” he placed a hand on my shoulder. “I have faith in you.”

            Son Nam Shin, my nom de guerre. I chose it for myself to display confidence. I chose it when I was sure I was strong enough to fight on this team. I had to get up and show everyone that I was worthy of that name.

            I stepped into the arena, surprising the MC. I took a deep breath and glanced at my opponent in the goldenrod silk.

            “Well, this is a change in lineup!” The MC announced as he took off on his jetpack and hovered above the arena, “Representing for Black Eclipse, the god of the skies, Son Nam Shin.”

            I smiled slightly before looking around the audience. Even though I rarely got to fight, I still had a few fans, just for being on Black Eclipse. However, only one fan stood out to me, a short yet muscular boy standing over his red-haired companion.

            “Destroy him, Nam Shin; I know you can do it!”

            A small smile appeared on my face as a hint of red arose in my cheeks. I returned my gaze to the smiling boy in the yellow silk.

            “...versus the handsome foreigner,” The MC announced, “Kevin!”

            I’ve studied the boy; He was a psychic elemental. I watched Junhyung match him not more than a few months ago. His major skills were teleporting and telekinesis. To me, this was no problem.

            “Ready?” The MC flew up to his pedestal above the arena, “FIGHT!”

            Instantly I gathered a ball of compressed air and threw it at him at incredible speed. Much against my expectation, the boy didn’t even try to dodge. Instead, he ran at my attack and took it head on. I could see the high pressure damaging his skin but he didn’t seem to care.

            He came right up to my face with a creepy smile on his face, “Hello.”

            “Ah!” Uncomfortable from the close proximity, I built up winds in my foot and spin kicked my opponent in the back. The increased power of the wind hurled the boy into the side of the cage. I flew up getting a slight boost from the kick and stalled in the air just a few feet above the ground. “Don’t do that!”

            Kevin got back to his feet, that creepy smile still on his face, “why, Son Nam Shin, are you afraid I’ll find out your little secret?”

            “What the hell are you talking about?!” I gathered a bit of compressed air between my hands before throwing it at him, this time with the speed and power to form a blade.

            Kevin instantly teleported and appeared on my back, “Hello, again.”

            “YAH GET OFF!” I grabbed his arm flinging him over my shoulder.

He landed on his hands and flipped back onto his feet. “Poor Son Nam Shin, unable to fight on your own. Everyone knows that you are simply floor filler. You’re only on Black Eclipse because Joker and DJ feel sorry for you.”

            “That’s not true!” I yelled becoming frustrated by the boy’s words. I gathered air in my hands and sent a ball of compressed winds at the little . I was sure my attack would hit him head on, but within the blink of an eye, he was gone.

            My surroundings had changed and before I knew it a large amount of air pressure hit my back. I winced, eyes forming tears as the high velocity winds tore into my backside. I spun around, discovering I was on the ground and Kevin was hovering above me.

            “What the hell?!” I yelled looking back up at him.

            “Like my new trick?” Kevin smirked.

            I growled and fired a rapid succession of air blades from my palm. Next thing I knew, I was back in the air and the high speed air blades were driving themselves into my skin.

            “Nam Shin!” I heard Kikwang yell as I fell to the ground. I could hear Kevin’s laughter as I stood to my feet. Blood was dripping from the cuts on my skin. I knew I wouldn’t last much longer at this rate. I held my hands out in front of me ready to fire one last air blast.

            “Dongwoon!” I looked to the side of the arena to see the short boy had made his way to the front of the audience. “Don’t let this guy get under your skin. Use that brain of yours; any trick can be defeated. You can do it, Son Nam Shin!”

            Something seemed to click in me hearing Kikwang. It all became clear to me. I couldn’t fight Kevin, at least not the distant, cowardly way Dongwoon would. I had to take him head on, as Son Nam Shin.

Breaking the compressed air in my hands apart, I concentrated it around my fists. I lunged at Kevin, increasing my speed with the winds around me. I punched him in the chest so hard he flew back into the fence, the steel chain-links leaving a nasty imprint on his back. He struggled to get up, but I flew up and grabbed him by the neck, carrying him up into the air. Kevin teleported to escape my grasp but I was one step ahead.

            The second he appeared behind me, I spun my foot around, catching him with the back of my heel and flinging him around my body towards the ground. As he crashed onto the wooden and concrete stage I flew down stepping on his stomach, causing him to cough up blood.

            “Give up?” I asked. Kevin simply flipped me off so I flew a few inches above him. Gathering up a small amount of air in my fingertips, I threw down several precise shots with my air blades and smirked seeing the I carved into his chest through the torn up silk shirt.

            “Just a memento, so you’ll always remember whose you are,” I walked away as Kevin passed out, the characters “Son Nam Shin,” permanently scarred into his chest.

            “Son Nam Shin! Son Nam Shin!” The crowd was chanting my name as the MC flew down from his pedestal.

“And the winner is Son Nam Shin!” He announced and I exited the arena, embellishing in the cheers of my fans. I gave Joker a quick high-five and, without warning, a small yet strong body leapt up onto my back.

            “I knew you could do it, Woonie!” Kikwang announced with his arms around my neck.

            “Yah, Hyung, get off, you’re heavier than you look.

            He laughed, leaping off my shoulders. I could see a bright eye smile plastered on his face, the eye smile I fell for. I shook my head, trying to ignore the feelings I had for Kikwang, after all, all he would ever feel for me was friendship.

            “Alright,” the MC announced, breaking me from my thoughts of Kikwang. “It’s time for the second match of the set!”

            Junhyung sighed, slipping on his dark sunglasses, “well, here we go.”

           As he was about to step toward the arena, a familiar black-haired leader approached us, “stand down, Joker.”

            “Doojoon!”




 

[Doojoon’s POV]


 

            “Doojoon!” Joker stared at me as though I had just arisen from the grave.

           “I said stand down,” I cracked my knuckles and approached the ring. “I have some steam to blow off.”

            Junhyung seemed a bit annoyed but he stepped aside. I was about to step into the arena when I paused and turned to the short muscular boy next to our maknae. “Ace Junior?”

            “Yeah?” The brawny guy stepped forward.

            “Silver, 2050 Hyundai Sonata Convertible, license plate number YDJ-1016,” I spoke turning back to the arena.

            “What?” He asked, completely confused.

            “My car,” I answered. “Your leader is asleep in my car, go fetch him.”

            “What?! Why is Yoseob in your car?!”

            “Just go get him,” I groaned entering the arena. I was tired, and I just wanted to get the day over with. I can’t believe I let that dark-skinned punk make a fool of me. I stood in the arena and glanced across the audience until a certain redhead caught my eye. ‘I’ll get back at you for this, N.’





 

            I glided down the muddy slope into the icy waters below. It was my best time yet. After seven or so attempts down YangYo’s mudslide, I had made it to the bottom five. I shook off the water before grabbing another banana leaf. I had just enough time for three more runs before I had to head back for my match with UBEAT. Before I could walk off, a small, cold hand reached out to grab my shoulder.

            “What’s up, YangYo, afraid if I keep doing this I’ll break your record?”

            “Yeah right,” YangYo scoffed, “my record is fifteen seconds.”

            “It’s a half mile slope! How can you-” I shook my head, annoyed by the kid’s smile.

            “I was on a roll that day.” Yang Yo chuckled. “Anyway, I need a nap, so I’m gonna introduce you to the last training exercise.”

            “What do you mean you need a nap, aren’t you supposed to show me what to do?” I glared at the brat.

            “It’s pretty straight forward,” the boy yawned before whistling.

            Within moments, his black winged friend flew down from the top of the slope. Yoseob smiled before turning to me. “All you have to do is capture Hakyeon.”

            “I have to what?” I narrowed my eyes at the boy.

            “Yoseobie~” The winged boy whined. “Can’t we just skip this one? I’m ok with being hunted by you or Kikwang or Hyunseung, but I don’t wanna be chased by DJ. He might actually try to kill me.”

            “What? Him?” YangYo pointed to me with his thumb. “He’s a wuss; he couldn’t hurt you if he tried.”

            “I’m standing right here, you little brat!” I yelled, threatening him with a fist.

            “I know,” He walked over to N, “Please Hakyeon-ah?”

            “Fine,” The boy crossed his arms, “But you have to treat me to dinner in return.”

            YangYo gave the boy a small smile which I had to admit was kind of cute.

            “Are you flirting with me, Hakyeon?” Yoseob teased, “What would Wonshik say?”

            “Yah, you little brat,” The red haired boy crossed his arms. “Geez, no need to get my boyfriend involved. Just for that, you have to treat both of us.”

            I was a bit confused, ‘Wait, N has a boyfriend? N is gay?!’

YangYo sighed, “Fine, fine, I’ll treat you.” He yawned stepped aside. “Hakyeon gets a ten second head start. Capture him as fast as possible. That’s all there is to it.”

I cracked my knuckles staring at the winged boy and I could see a small lump descend his throat. This should be easy.  

            “I’ll be waiting at the forest entrance. Ready Hakyeon?” Yoseob asked and the dark skinned boy nodded.

            “Go!”

            With that, Hakyeon flew off and stood around, waiting for YangYo to count backwards from ten. The moment the countdown got down to one, I took off leaving my blonde adversary behind.

            Those wings clearly gave N and advantage in this type of game but I wasn’t about to be bested by an opponent I’ve already defeated. He was pretty far ahead of me, but I wasn’t worried. I kept my eye on the nature elemental following his every movement; unfortunately I wasn’t paying attention to the path.

            “!” Before I could react I fell into a ravine. I looked up to see the black-winged jerk laughing his off at my misfortune. “This may take longer than I thought.”


 

            Hours passed and I still hadn’t caught that little crow. My patience was running thin as I could see the sun start to set over the horizon. Who would think that N could stay in the air so long? ‘When I met him in the ring, he went down in a matter of minutes, so why was catching the guy so much harder.’

That’s when it hit me. I wasn’t fighting N in my domain, I was playing in his. The only way I could beat that little pest is to manipulate his arena to make it my own, and I knew just what to do.

            Minutes later, I noticed N flying over my clearing now was the time to make my move.

            “Yah, DJ-ah,” He yelled but I silently lay in the clearing, eyes gently shut.

            “DJ,” he called again, and again, I gave him no response. Quickly, he landed in the clearing and I could smirk forming on his face; what an arrogant bastard.

            “Don’t tell my you’re quitting already. Yoseob was right, you are a wimp.”

            “Oh, I’m never quit,” I opened one eye. “I’m just changing the venue.

            The red-haired boy instantly looked down, noticing his body sink into the black void I formed beneath him. After seconds, he disappeared completely and I sunk down after him.

            The realm of shadows, my venue. I swam through the black void, approaching the cocky bastard. When I was close, I manipulated the darkness around him, slamming him with several blows to his body before throwing him back up to the surface. My snakes wrapped around him, holding him in place while I emerged from the shadows.

“Consider this bird, caged.” I smirked and he sighed

“Ok, ok, you got me.” N commented and sighed. “Took you long enough. I was starting to think you were an idiot.”

I gave him a swift kick to the leg, and he gave a yelp of pain, “a word of advice, don’t insult the guy who has you tied up.”

“Fair enough,” N sighed. “Now let me go, so I can tell you your time.”

I held out my hand, releasing the snakes around N and the red haired boy stood up, dusting himself off. He looked at his watch and smirked, “three hours and twelve minutes. Damn, that’s gotta be a record.”

I smirked, feeling pleased with myself.

“A record for the longest time I’ve ever been in the air. Damn, you took forever to catch me.”

My smile instantly turned into a frown and I felt the strong urge to punch the winged , “Whatever.” I groaned. “Next time, I’ll have you in a matter of minutes”

“Yeah, sure, I believe you.” He chuckled before stretching and flapping his wings.” I better get going. Jekyll has a match against Hyde tonight. I can’t miss that.” He hovered in the air and I instantly realized the time.

            “!” I growled, looking up at the winged elemental. “Yah, Hakyeon! How do I get out of this forest without flying?”

            “Just follow your own carnage, left from chasing me,” He yelled back. “It should lead you straight to Yoseob. He’s probably still sleeping. You better hurry if you two are gonna make your matches. See you later, Doojoonie.”

            “WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!” I yelled up at the punk; I could feel his smirk as he flew away. ‘That little , he will pay for this.’




 

            “Time for the second match!” The MC announced as I stepped into the arena, “The Demon of the ring, the dark hearted master of darkness, DJ.”

            The crowd cheered but I was too stressed to indulge in the applause.

            “...versus, the king of green himself, ELI!”

Eli stepped forward, donning his elegant green silk. He was a nature type elemental, not unlike N; however where N is part of the Beast branch of the nature type, Eli is simply controls plants. Too bad for him, I hate plants after being in that forest all day.

            Eli smirked, “Now that I know you’re not invincible, I’m sure I can defeat you. Your reign over the ring is over DJ.”

            “Ready,” The MC flew up onto his perch, “fight.”

            Eli held out his hand and wood surrounded it to form a gauntlet, before rushing at me. “This is the end DJ.”

            I glared at the punk. “WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY?!” With that, my eyes flashed a dark purple and a giant pillar of pure dark energy erupted from my body. As fast as the match had begun, it was over.


 



 

A/N: Hey all. This chapter's been ready for a while, I just haven't posted it until now. I'm very very busy lately, sorry. 

 

So, let me know if your interested in elementals. Doojoon and Dongwoon briefly mentioned types and in the next chapter, I'll divulge a little more, but for a full out explanation I'll need you to ask. Be sure to comment if you wanna know

 

~COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND UPVOTE~