Element 3: Helping an Enemy

I Have to Win

[Doojoon’s POV]

 

            I woke up in my room about a quarter to noon. It was a cloudy day, but I didn’t mind. I hate sunshine. I reached over to my dresser and grabbed my phone, checking the dozen plus messages from Junhyung, asking where I was. I rolled my eyes and texted him back telling him I was training today. There was no way I was gonna go to school. Not after that blonde runt made a fool out of me. I had to get stronger, so that child’s trick would never work again.

            I headed downstairs to the basement, where my work out equipment was set up. As I flipped on the light switch, I immediately felt a sense of nostalgia. It had been a while since I used my basement to train; not since I was in high school. I took a moment and looked at a photo on my wall, a picture of Black Eclipse, before I was leader…before Dongwoon came along…before...

            I took a deep breath and turned to my equipment, a determined look on my face. I swear, Joon, I will never lose again.

                                         

 

[Junhyung’s POV]

 

            I hate it when Doojoon skips school. I have nothing to do. It’s a good thing I didn’t have Ms. Choi’s class on Thursdays, or she’d most likely blame me for Doojoon’s ditching. I hated when she did that. I ran my hand through my purple locks.

            It was lunch, and I was on my own. I doubted that Doojoon’d want me to visit while he was in training mode. I figured I’d hit up the Red-Lion cafe again. The sandwich I had there was pretty good, although the conversation was even better. I wasn’t sure what it was I liked about talking to that red-haired, 4D prince, but I was somehow hoping we’d meet again.

           No way! Am I lucky? I walked over to the table in the cafe where the doe-eyed, red-head was seated, just like the day before. I smiled, watching him stare at an anatomy textbook. He didn’t seem to notice me so I sat across him. I waited for several minutes before waving my hand in front of the boy’s face. I smirked when he jumped, looking up at me.

            “Y-Yah! Junhyung!” He yelped. “You scared me?”

            “Oh?” I smirked, leaning closer to him. “I’ve been sitting here for a while now.”

            “You have?” Hyunseung closed his textbook before sighing. “Guess I didn’t notice.”

            I shook my head thinking, what is wrong with this guy.

            “You hungry?” he asked. “I am. I’ll get us a sandwich. You like turkey and a coke on the side, right?”

            Before I could answer he was off. I couldn’t believe how 4D this guy was. But at the same time, it fascinated me. I took a moment to think when I realized Hyunseung had known my order without me saying a word. H-How is that possible? I just met him yesterday!

 

            Hyunseung returned and sat down a tray with a sandwich and coke, in front of me. I took one bite and smiled. It was just to my liking.

            “Wow! How’d you know what kinda sandwich I like?”

            “It’s what you ate yesterday.”

            I nodded, but was still amazed that he even managed the extra mayo, just how I liked. I smiled as he ate his own lunch. Once he finished chewing, I decided to strike up a conversation.

            “So, Hyunseung, why not tell me a little about yourself.”

            Hyunseung paused for a moment to think. “Well... I’m 20 years old. I have a little sister. I’m majoring in psychology.”

            At that moment, I couldn’t help but laugh a bit. This guy, a Psych major? I covered my mouth to try and hide my laughter but he saw through me. Surprisingly enough, he smiled.

            “What about you? Tell me about yourself.”

            I thought for a second before answering. “Well, I’m 19. I’m majoring in audio production, and I live off campus, at home with my mom, dad, and little brother.”

            “Any hobbies?”

            “Well, I’m an elemental fighter, obviously.” I scratched the back of my head. “I’m pretty good at rapping and composing. You?”

            “Singing, dancing, hypnotism, stuff like that.”

            “Hypnotism?” I asked, a little taken aback by this answer.

            “It’s just a hobby. I think its fun to be able to tap into people’s subconscious desires.”

            “That is the single weirdest thing I’ve ever heard you say.”

            Hyunseung chuckled. “We’ve only known each other for a few days. Trust me, you’ll hear weirder.”

            I smiled. This guy was so interesting; I found myself wanting to know more and more about him. Before I knew it, I found myself asking the forbidden question. “So... do you have a girlfriend?” I took a sip of my coke, covering up my embarrassment in asking.

            “Nah, I’m gay.”

            I spit out my coke at his blunt and frankly unexpected answer. “G-Gay?!”

            “Yeah. Is there a problem?”

            “No! Of course not! I was just surprised, is all,” I took another sip of coke, feeling as though I struck a nerve. I honestly wasn’t sure why I was so taken aback by his answer. I’ve never had a problem with gay people. In fact, when Dongwoon came out of the closet to Doojoon and me, we both accepted him with open arms. I shook my head. Guess I just thought with his charming good looks, he’d be beating ladies off with a stick. With his gorgeous doe eyes, radiant red hair, silky smooth skin-

           “Earth to Junhyung,” I snapped out of my thoughts as Hyunseung waved his hand in front of my face.

            “Oh, sorry,” I turned bright red, embarrassed by my thoughts of Hyunseung. Get ahold of yourself, Junhyung. He’s a guy! And a member of an opposing team for that matter.  “Guess I just went off into my own little world.”

            Hyunseung nodded. “I know just what that’s like.”

            I chuckled. I’m sure you do. I smiled and took another bite of my sandwich. This guy’s so interesting.

 

[Kikwang’s POV]

 

 

            Thursday. It’s been two days and I was still sore from that fight. When they said Black Eclipse was the best, they weren’t kidding. I cracked my neck as I waited in my sleek, black luxury car. Thursdays are the days I’d pick up my neighbor from school and drive him to piano lessons. I never minded. He was a pretty good kid.

            I sighed and glanced up through my rearview mirror, watching as the high school students file out of the building. I narrowed my eyes as a certain brunette boy nervously walked through the school doors. Isn’t that..?

            As I watched the tall boy, I happened to catch a glimpse of seven shabby looking students approaching him. At first, I thought they were his friends, until I saw the short one deliver a punch to his stomach.

            I jumped out of my car to overhear their conversation.

            “Hand it over, Dongwoon,” The deep voiced blonde stated.

            “I told you, P.O. I need my money for the tr-” The brunette took another blow to the gut and fell to his knees.

            The sharp eyed leader took the boy’s hair into his hand and pulled him up by it hard. “You should know by now not to cross Block B.”

            I had about all I could stand. As the leader was about to deliver a blow to the boy’s face I ran over and caught his wrist.

            “Hey! What the h-” I didn’t let him finish and I delivered a powerful blow to the leader’s face.

            He stood back up and the short redhead tried swinging a fist at me. Too slow. I dodged within half a millimeter of his punch and grabbed his wrist from behind. I flipped him, slamming his back into the ground and jumped back as the brown haired pretty boy tried blind-siding me with flying kick.

            “Heh, fancy seeing you here, Minhyuk,” I smirked and he threw another punch toward me.

            “That’s B-Bomb to you, Lee Kikwang!” The brunette scowled as I caught his fist.

            “Lee Kikwang!” The one in the bandana yelled. “As in Ace Ju-” I didn’t let him finish that statement and I took my boot to his face.

            “I prefer Kiki, up here,” I scowled, looking back at the other members. I cracked my knuckles and B-Bomb jumped.

            “This guy’s serious. Let’s get out of here,” my old friend voiced.

            “He’s just one guy! We can take him,” The blonde, P.O. announced.

            “No we can’t,” The one in the bandanna staggered up holding his bloody nose. “He’s an elemental. We better get out of here!”

            “Bwoh!” The leader’s eyes widened. I smirked, letting a small amount of electricity dance on my finger. “Fine, we’ll leave.” The sharp-eyed leader said, leading his gang out of the alley. Before he left he shot another glare at the brown-haired school boy and mouthed, “We’ll be back.”

            I dusted myself off and turned to the tall boy who had fallen to the ground. I reached out a hand to him. “You ok?”

            He took my hand and I pulled him to his feet. “Yeah, thanks, I’m ok now.”

            “You sure?” I asked and he nodded. “Good.” I slapped him hard on his shoulder.

            “Yah! What the hell was that for?!”

            “Why didn’t you fight back? Why didn’t you stand up for yourself?”

            He looked away from me nervously. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about! I’m no fighter.”

            “Don’t play dumb with me, Son Nam shin.” I stepped back a bit. “I regained consciousness just in time to see you fight our prince the other night.”

            “Son Nam shin.” He started to walk away. “Never heard of him.”

            I took a breath and shot a small bolt of lightning at him. As though through instinct, he created a small orb of high velocity winds in his palm, captured my lightning in his wind and hurled it back at me.

            I narrowly dodged the speed of his counter attack and smiled.

            “Fine. I’m Son Nam Shin of Black Eclipse. Happy?”

           “You’re part of one of the top teams in the league! Why didn’t you just blow those street punks away?”

            “You know as well as I do that elemental powers are forbidden on the surface. And I don’t really...fight well without them.”

            I chuckled. “Seriously? That’s why you don’t defend yourself.”

            “Yah! It’s not funny.”

            I smiled. “Ok then, how about I teach you.”

            “Teach me what?”

            “Fighting on the surface,” I started pacing. “I’ve studied seven kinds of martial arts and I even invented one of my own. I’m sure I can teach you, and it’ll also make you a better elemental fighter.”

            The tall boy sighed heavily. “Thanks... but no thanks. I have to get home.”

            “Ok maybe not today, but I can help you out tomorrow.” I smiled.

            “You have an elemental fight tomorrow. Besides, I can’t stay here too long. I have to go home before the trains stop running.”

            “Geez? How far do you live?”

            He sighed heavily. “Three hours away.”

            I tilted my head. “By train? Seriously? Then why go to school out here?!”

            He scowled. “I’m not about to leave my friends due to the distance.” He started the walk away but I stopped him.

            “Ok, ok. I have a solution for both of us.” He stopped and turned toward me, a look of curiosity on his face. I smiled. “Why not move in with me?”

[Yoseob’s POV]

 

 

            I sat in my seat at the front of the lecture hall. Friday, my favorite day. I only had one class in the morning, after which I had about eight hours of downtime before my second elemental match against a group called C-Clown. I was a bit excited for the match but at the time, school came first.

            I was greeted by my good friend Hongki. He sat next to me before looking around a bit nervously.

            “You ok, Hongki?”

            He nodded before whispering. “Yeah. So...um...what happened with that brute in the library?”

            “He-”

            Before I could finish my answer, the door burst open and a familiar and annoying black haired elemental entered the room. “YANGYO!”

            Ugh! What now! I sunk back in my seat, hoping he’d be too blind to notice me in the class of dozens. Just my luck.

            “YangYo!” He walked over to me as Hongki nervously formed a fist.

            “What do you want DJ,” I groaned, sitting up in my seat.

            He pointed to me, a determined look in his eye. “YangYo! I challenge you to a one-on-one, ETR showdown.”

 

 



What's an ETR? Read on and find out. 

 

(Battlefield: Earth is delayed due to finals. Thanks for your understanding.)