Element 7: Rivals and family.

I Have to Win

[Doojoon’s POV]


 

            ‘Mud boarding? Seriously, what is he like, twelve?!’ Leave it to YangYo to come up with such a childish method of training. Unknown to him, I happen to be a world-class snowboarder during the winter. I can shred a mountain side faster than a snowmobile. So the question is, ‘WHY THE HELL DO I KEEP IN THIS UP!’

            This is my fifteenth attempt to ride this damn leaf, and every time I either fall or break my leaf in half. Yang Yo has made it to the bottom all fifteen times, which such style, it could make an X-Games pro-boarder cry out to his mommy. ‘UGH I CAN’T STAND THIS KID.’

           “It’s getting late,” Yoseob said, drying his hair with a towel. “I have homework to do so let’s wrap it up.”

            “No way,” I said preparing another leaf. “I won’t stop until I make it through the slope and land in that ice cold water.

            “Masochist,” he muttered under his breath before turning toward the sky. “Hakyeon, can you call Taekwoon? I need a ride home.

            “Oh no, you don’t,” I grabbed the brat by his collar. “You’re staying right here and making sure I get this right.

            “But hyung, I’m tired,” he whined, using aegyo on me.

            Wait...aegyo?!

            “I-I don’t care,” I blushed turning away from the brat. ‘What the hell is wrong with me? Why does his aegyo have an effect on me?’ I shook it off dismissing that it was part of the brat’s tricks. “We are staying here and going down this run until I get it right, even if it takes all night.”

            YangYo pouted, crossing his arms, “You owe me big for this, .”

            ‘Heh, what a child.’

[Junhyung’s POV]

            I’ve never been so embarrassed in my entire life. I was walking toward my house with Hyunseung following close behind. Normally, this would be a great moment for me, but not with his dongsaeng following us with that accusing smirk on his face.

            “What were your intentions with my hyung,” Kikwang asked.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I replied, annoyed by his tone.

            “Don’t play dumb,” Kikwang remarked. “Why were you my Hyung’s head like that? What do you intend to do with him?”

            “Geez, can’t you just get off my back?”

            “Hyung is a very sensitive guy,” Kikwang commented, although I wasn’t sure if Hyunseung was even paying attention to the conversation. “I just want to know if you’re gonna be serious with him or if you just play-”

            “FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS DECENT!” I yelled at Kikwang, “I’M STRAIGHT!”

            Have you ever had one of those moments where everything around you goes silent, and the last thing you said could never be taken back? I knew I shouldn’t have said that in front of Hyunseung, even if it was true. I knew my heart was wavering in front of that red haired prince. So why did I say it?

            Hyunseung sighed heavily, before putting on a fake smile, “sorry about Kikwang. He’s a bit overprotective of me.”

            I nodded slowly before keeping my head turned downcast for the rest of the night. I needed to remember, Hyunseung is just my friend, nothing more.



 

            I got home that evening, after saying nothing more to Hyunseung. I was trying to figure out what I should tell Hyunseung the next day at school. Should I apologize? Should I just leave it alone? ‘Why does this boy make me so crazy?’

            “Hyung! What are you doing home?! You’re tracking mud!” Ilhoon yelled from the living room.

            “No I’m not!” I replied, removing my shoes in the entryway. “And anyway, since when do you care?”

            “Never mind that,” Ilhoon yelled. “Just go upstairs! I’m busy tonight. I want this house to look nice!”

            “Why?” I asked, “Mom and Dad aren’t home.”

            “I know, I just,” Ilhoon stuttered, “I have a new tutor coming over tonight and I want to make a good impression, ok?!”

            A small smirk appeared on my face, “oh, a new tutor, huh? Is she strict?”

            “Yes, now get out of here, before he shows up!”

            As if on cue, the doorbell rang. Ilhoon pushed me aside and ran to the front door, dusting off his shirt. I could see sweat forming on his palms and I took the opportunity to take over. I pushed Ilhoon out of the way and twisted open the front door, only the see a tall, handsome young man, only slightly older than Ilhoon.

            “Hello, I’m Lim Hyunsik. It is nice to meet you. Is this where Yong Ilhoon lives?”

            I turned to Ilhoon. This boy was in no way how I was expecting. Ilhoon’s had a history with the meanest or craziest tutors and has never flinched, so why is this young boy causing him to sweat up a storm?

            “H-Hello, I-I’m Ilhoon,” my brother stuttered.

            Hyunsik smiled before bowing to me and entering the household.

            “Nice to finally meet you, Ilhoon-ssi. Shall we get to work?” Hyunsik spoke gently, as he removed his shoes.

            “W-Whatever you say,” Ilhoon stared at Hyunsik, with a babo-smile on his face, and it hit me. I couldn’t help but smirk.

            “Ilhoon’s got a crush on Hy-”

            Before I could finish my sentence, Ilhoon jumped me, and rushed me into the kitchen.

            “You have a crush on Hyunsik~” I teased.

            “NO I DON’T,” He defended, rather poorly. “Hyunsik is just a student at the top high school in the area and I want to make a good impression on him.”

            I chuckled, “since when do you care so much about that?”

            “S-since I decided I wanted to attend a better university than you. Hyunsik has nothing to do with it.”

            “Right...” I teased, sarcastically. “I believe you. You going all goofy faced around him is just a coincidence.”

            “Cut it out, Hyung, I’m straight!” He pouted, annoyed by my teasing. “I’m just as straight as you are.”

            I sighed, turning away from my brother, ‘yeah, just as straight as me.’



 

[Dongwoon’s POV]


 

            I headed for the train station soon after we dropped Junhyung at home. I knew Junhyung was straight, but I had a feeling he wasn’t really being honest about how he felt about Hyunseung. I usually have a sixth sense about these things.

            Kikwang gave me a ride to the station after he dropped of Hyunseung. I managed to talk to him a bit before we parted ways. He was really quite a gentleman, even if he was annoying around Junhyung, ‘Pabo.’ But annoyingly enough, I’m starting to get used to his naivety. Maybe I’m starting to like Lee Kikwang a bit.

            ‘No Son Dongwoon, you can’t fall into the trap that is Aegyo Storm. You are rivals, and Lee Kikwang is the farthest thing from your type.’


 

            “Woonie’s home,” my little sister greeted me at the door.

            “Hey Sohyun,” I gave my baby sister a hug before sitting on the couch.

            “You’re home late,” she commented.

            “Junhyung-hyung and I just met up with some new friends and we spent the day in the park.”

            “New friends,” Sohyun teased, leaping over the couch. “I hope it’s a new gentleman caller. You haven’t had a boyfriend since Cheolyong in Jr. High.”

            My sister was a bit of an oddball. When I told her I was gay, she seemed more excited than disappointed. We became quite close and she’s always concerned about me. Half of the time, she acts more like the older sibling, but that can’t be helped. I suppose her elemental powers also bring the two of us together.

            My sister made a loop with her thumb and index finger. It’s what she always does when she wants to produce an illustration. She blew through the ring, forming several glowing light bubbles. The bubbles flashed images of my Jr. High days when I dated Bang Cheolyong, also known as Mir.

            “Cheolyong was such a cutie,” my sister reminded. “I remember when the two of you used to dance around the living room together to old songs, or when you’d just silently lay in the backyard under the moonlight.”

            I sighed at thoughts of dating Mir. He was the one who introduced me to Junhyung and Doojoon and recommended me to join Black Eclipse, even though I was a bit too young to become an elemental fighter. He was my first love, even if he didn’t love me the same way.

            “Thanks for re-opening old wounds,” I popped one of my sister’s illusion bubbles.

            “Woonie, you have to move on. I know you miss Mir-oppa, but you’ll find someone better, but you just have to get back out there, ok?” She gave me a quick hug. “Although I really think you should ask out Doojoon-oppa. You guys are so cute together.”

            “Aish, Sohyun!” I argued. “Stop shipping me with Doojoon, he’s straight.” I smirked. “And even if he wasn’t, he’s not my type”

            Sohyun chuckled, “then what kinda guy are you into, oppa?”

            I took a moment to think before a basic answer came to me, “strong but cute, short and a little naive.”

            “So you know anyone like that?”

            I took a minute to think before I realized who I had just described. ‘Ah .’


 

[Doojoon’s POV]


 

            I crawled out of the icy waters of the bottom of the muddy slope. It may have taken until three in the morning, but I made it down. ‘I suppose that’ll have to do for tonight.’

I walked over to the muddy bank where my small trainer had fallen asleep. It annoyed me to no end that this brat couldn’t see my eventual triumph, but I guess children have bedtimes. I glanced at his small face as he lay peacefully in the icy mud. I could see goose bumps forming in his bare arms as shivers were running up and down his back and shoulders.

I sighed and grabbed my dry jacket from a tree where I had rested it. I placed it over the boy’s shoulders before lifting him onto my back and carrying him back through the forests. He mumbled a bit in his sleep which I had to admit was adorable.

            Unconsciously, as I walked, he wrapped his arms around me and nuzzled into my neck. It was the first time I could see his face so close to mine, those small, round cheeks, those soft pink lips, that gentle expression. ‘For a bratty little creep, he sure is cute when he’s sleeping.’

            I adjusted the sleeping mass on my back and carried him all the way to my car where I strapped him into the front seat and brushed his messy blonde hair from his eyes. I got in the driver’s seat and set my GPS to lead me home. For the first time in my life, I felt this training program actually might work out.


 

Junhyung POV]


 

            “AHH, WHERE THE HELL IS HE?!”

            I was rustling my hair as I paced the side of the caged off arena. Monday had come and we had a match with a group called uBEAT. We had matched these three before but word on the street was they went through some powerful training and were ready to best us. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t be so nervous but after the ‘Aegyo Storm’ business, I didn’t want to take any chances.

            “Where is that good-for-nothing leader,” I complained as Dongwoon glanced around the arena.

            “I don’t know, hyung,” Dongwoon replied. “Aegyo Storm just had a match and their leader was missing too. Luckily Kikwang and the Prince were capable of fighting without YangYo.”

            I groaned. ‘Where the hell is he!’


 

            “And Narsha is down!” the MC announced, “The winner is J-Yoon! Making the victors of match four, 4Minute!” The crowd cheered for the three competitors and alternate one on the sideline.

            Ah, 4Minute, we’ve known them for years. I had convinced myself during high school that I was in love with Kim Hyuna, or Troublemaker, but I know now that it was just a passing crush. In fact, my feelings for her weren’t that strong. I think she’s more like a sibling now, and there’s no romantic attraction at all, not like Hyunseung. But there were bigger fish to fry at the moment than my uality.

            “And for the fifth match of the night,” The MC announced as both teams exited the ring, “The formerly undefeated demons in their first match since losing to Aegyo storm, still number one in the league in terms of victories, BLACK ECLIPSE!” The crowd cheered hearing our name. It was nice to know we still had fans after losing. “Versus the smooth as silk, wonders of the ring, uBEAT!”

            Dongwoon and I glared across the ring at three glistening elementals, dressed in fancy silk. ‘How I despise fighters like this.’   

            “Hyung, DJ’s still not here and we’re out of time!” Dongwoon complained.

            I clenched my fist and turned toward the gate. I sighed and returned my gaze to Dongwoon. “Change of plans, Woonie. You fight the first match.”



A/N: This is the final part of my marathon update. Thanks for reading and happy holidays everyone!!

 

COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND UPVOTE!