Back on Earth

Into Another World

7/5/11 + small edit 7/10/11

Update! Comments and criticisms are welcome:P

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

      It was summer break back on Earth. Actually, the day Bom disappeared was the last day of school for the students of Incheon High. When Chaerin went to the playground to search for Bom, Bom had already disappeared. Thinking that Bom went back home, Chaerin gave up her search and decided to wait a while before attempting to explain herself to Bom. A week had already passed before Chaerin mustered up the courage to knock on her best friend’s door. It was Bom’s mother who answered the door.

      “Hello, Mrs. Park,” Chaerin greeted. She felt something was astray. Mrs. Park looked pale and tired. There were dark circles under her eyes, and her skin was a pasty white, like a ghost’s. “Umm, is Bom at home?”

      At those words, Mrs. Park aged five more years. She replied in a quavering voice. “I’m afraid Bommie’s gone missing. She never returned home after the last day of school.”

      “What?!” Chaerin practically screamed. She felt like large stone bricks started to weigh down on her. She opened to speak, but no words came out.

      “We’ve already contacted the police, but that’s all we’ve done,” Mrs. Park informed quietly. “We’re now thinking about placing some ads in the newspaper.”

      Chaerin stayed motionless, trying to sink it all in. How could this happen? It’s entirely my fault! I shouldn’t have given up searching for her! I should have made sure she was alright! God, I’m such a bad friend!

      While she was drowning herself in negative thoughts, Bom’s mother continued. “Her father and I never thought that this would ever happen to us. Bommie never seemed troubled with anything. I don’t think she ran away. But if she didn’t run away, then she was kidnapped. However, being kidnapped is even worse than running away. Oh, I don’t want to imagine what might happen to her.”

      Mrs. Park took out a tissue from her pocket and wiped her eyes, trying to keep herself from breaking down. Chaerin didn’t know what to do. She forced herself to speak. “Don’t worry, Mrs. Park. I’m sure Bom will come back soon.”

      She was lying through her teeth. Chaerin was as optimistic as Oscar the Grouch. And she knew that Bom’s disappearance was partly her fault. But still, Mrs. Park smiled faintly, “I hope you’re right, Chaerin.”

      Chaerin turned around and walked down the stairs leading to Bom’s doorstep. When she heard Mrs. Park close the door, she looked back to take a good look at the house. It was a regular light pink Incheon house with tall stairs leading to the second story of the house. Chaerin considered this house as a second home. There were so many times when she went to this house to seek comfort and peace. But now, this house is no longer comforting and peaceful. Bom had disappeared, and Chaerin couldn’t help but feel that this disappearance was caused by her.

      Chaerin, is this how you treat your best friend?She asked herself as she continued to walk along the sidewalk. Trapped in feelings of guilt and worry, she wasn’t fully aware of where her legs were taking her until she was standing in front of a door of another house and knocking on it. Looking up, realization took over her, and jumped back from surprise.

      Without knowing, Chaerin had walked to Seungri’s house and knocked on his door. Well, his house is only a block away from Bom’s, so I guess I was just walking to the closest house that I knew. She thought to herself. There was still no answer from the other side of the door, and she rejoiced at that fact. Maybe he didn’t hear me knock. Maybe he isn’t home.

      But as she was walking down the stairs, she heard the door open behind her. Turning around, she saw Seungri’s surprised face. “Oh! Chaerin! I wasn’t expecting you.”

      Of course you weren’t expecting me, she thought to herself. After my rejection and all. I wasn’t even expecting myself to come here.

      “Yeah…” she replied feebly. Her head was down, adding to the awkwardness of the situation. Racking her brain for an escape, she looked up quickly and blurted out, “I’m sorry for bothering you. I didn’t really have a reason to visit. I just came here without realizing. Sorry, I’ll go now.”

      She turned around and climbed down a few more steps when she heard Seungri telling her to wait. Stopping, Chaerin didn’t have the courage to turn around. Quickly replaying the words over in her mind, she realized the inferred meaning of them. Oh no. she thought to herself. Now he’s going to think that I’m starting to like him or something! You’re so stupid, Chaerin!

      “Since you’re here, why don’t you come in?” Seungri asked. She could hear the smile in his words. But whether it was because of satisfaction or sympathy, she didn’t know. She slowly turned around and walked into his house, keeping her head low.

      Chaerin had been to Seungri’s house many times. They have been friends ever since kindergarten, so it was expected. But she never went to his house alone. She always had Bom by her side. In fact, for the past three years, the only reason she went to Seungri’s house was because of Bom. Now, she was here with nobody by her side. It felt extremely awkward.

      She was sitting on the sofa in his living room while he was getting them something to drink in the kitchen. I guess his parents are at work, she thought when she noticed the emptiness of the house. At that moment, Seungri came out with two cups of orange juice. Oh! Freshly juiced! My favorite!

      Chaerin temporarily forgot the awkwardness of the situation while she drank from her cup. As she set the cup down, she caught Seungri looking at her with a smile as he sat down next to her. Wiping with tissue, she shifted in her seat.

      “So, is there something you want to tell me?” he asked her. Chaerin looked up in surprise. “Oh, come on, Chaerin. It’s not like we’re strangers. I know when you have something bothering you. There is no way you would ever come to my house ‘without any reason.’”

      Let out a faint smile, Chaerin cleaned out the dirt under her nails, trying to appear stable. “Well, I guess I came to your house because I just heard from Mrs. Park that Bom is missing.”

      She waited for the words to sink in, and she continued. “She never came home after the last day of school. Her parents already contacted the police, and they are going to post up some ads, too.”

      “Oh no,” she heard Seungri mutter under his breath. His eyes were moving from left to right, trying to piece things together.

      “I can’t help but think that this is my fault,” she continued. “I mean, I’m the one who should understand Bom the best. I knew that she valued the group’s friendship the most and that she would fall into a depression if our friendship started wavering.

      And yet I’m the one who started the fight with Jiyong. I’m a really selfish person. I mean, the fact that I’m talking about myself while I should be trying to find Bom makes me even more selfish. But I don’t know how to find her! I’m lost. I have no idea how to get my best friend back.”

      After hearing her say that, Seungri immediately brought her into a hug. He tried to reassure her, “It’s not your fault. It’s nobody’s fault.”

      Those words and actions, instead of making her feel better, made Chaerin feel even worse. She felt the stone bricks smashing her heart, blocking her from freedom. Tears of frustration were unlocked, and she let herself cry on Seungri’s shoulder. This will be the last time. The last time I seek Seungri for comfort, Chaerin promised herself. Or else I won’t be able to forgive myself.

                                                                                                 :::::::

      The first thing Seungri had to do was let everyone know about the situation. He needed to meet up with Jiyong. After Chaerin calmed down, he let her go and took out his cell phone. To his delight, Jiyong picked up the phone, “Hey, Seungri. What’s up?”

“We have to meet up right now. Bom’s missing,” Seungri bluntly replied. There was no answer for a few seconds, “Where do you want to meet?”

      “How about the Incheon Park in ten minutes?”

      “Sure. Meet you there. Oh! And bring your girlfriend along as well.”

      After saying goodbye, Seungri hung up the phone. He turned to Chaerin and held her shoulders. Looking at her in the eyes, he said, “Everything’s going to be alright. We might have to do something dangerous, but it’s about time we do something about this situation.”

      Chaerin furrowed her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

      “I’ll explain when we’re all together,” Seungri answered. Letting go of her shoulders, he grabbed a jacket and his keys. “Let’s go.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

laDy_akhee: Well... They didn't ALL come from Terra :P But next chapter will explain things a BIT more clearly :D