Chapter 2 - Unmissable

Red Riding Hood

 

“Unnie-yah…” I murmured softly as I looked out the window. It was raining again.

“Hn?” I heard the page of her book turn.

“Do you rather love, or be loved?”

She laughed lightly and slowly closed her book. I turned around to look at her. “Why do you ask that?” She asked. 

I shrugged. Yeah, why did I ask that?

She took in a breath, “Well… I rather love.”

“Why? Don’t you rather be loved than to love? It’s painful to love if that person doesn’t love you back… it’s better to be loved because even if you don’t love that person, he would do everything he can to make you happy.”

Unnie smiled softly at me and asked, “Have you ever truly loved a person before?”

I shook my head. Have you? A little voice in my head, asked. 

“Then let me tell you… loving someone, no matter how painful, is the most beautiful feeling in the world; even if it hurts. When you love someone… it doesn’t matter what they do or who they’re with, you’re happy to accept that. You’d be willing to do anything for them. Watching them be happy is enough."

I looked away to the window again, “Unnie-yah… do you love someone?” Do you love someone? Did you? 

There was a long pause until she murmured, “Yes." When I looked at her, it was unmissable, the small smile on her face. 


~Weeks later~

“I’m so sorry for your loss…” Someone murmured. I sat still, staring blankly out the window. White snowflakes floated down from the grey sky. Unnie loved the snow.

Eomeoni replied, “Thank you for coming…” Her voice was tired and sad.

“We appreciate it.” Abeoji said.

“Haneul-goon was a wonderful person… You have our condolences.” I felt eyes staring at me. “How is Haru-goon doing?”

Abeoji uncomfortably said, “She’s doing well.”

Eomeoni sighed, adding, “She’s… She just sits there at the window, not moving, not eating, and not doing anything. I don’t even know how that is possible. I’ve already lost one of my precious daughters; I don’t want to lose the other.”