Chapter 7 - Wake Up

Red Riding Hood

 

I scrambled back, away from it, into the hanok, but it leaned back, ready to pounce for me. “S-stay away!” I warned.

The black wolf growled. Its eyes glowed like the burning sun, filled with hunger, danger and treacherous intentions.

When it pounced, everything was suddenly a blur. I remember hearing myself screaming. There was pain all over my body as I pushed the wolf away and stumbled out of the hanok.

I heard it running behind me, before I felt its huge paws and sharp claws dig into my back and push me down onto the ground.

Rolling over, I tried to shove the black wolf off of me.

Was this how I was going to die? Was this going to be the last thing I saw – its sharp bloody teeth, ready to crunch through my bones?

No, it wasn’t; I won’t allow it. With one last look at my beautiful moon, I squeezed my eyes , ready to embrace what was coming next.

But, all that came next was a loud, growl, and the weight of the black wolf being pushed off of me. I scrambled upwards, backing myself against a tree. A blur had thrown the black wolf away from me and shoved it against the floor.

My heart calmed as I recognized the brown wolf. “Hongki…”In the distance, I saw bright torches and the heads of the villagers heading this way. “Hongki! Go! Run away! Leave! They’ll get you!” Dark spots started to cloud my vision and my head swayed towards the ground, heavily. “Hongki!”

The last thing I saw was the black wolf throwing Hongki off of it and running into the forest just as the villagers, led by the village head and my father, appearing into the clearing, yelling and shouting.  

 


"Hongki-yah..."

"Hn? What is it?"

"I keep having this dream of you... It's the same dream over and over again."

"What's it about?"

"I can't remember it... That's the problem. I have the same dream over and over again with you in it, but I can never remember it."

"Well how do you know you dreamt at all then?"

"I just do... Hongki-yah..."

"Hn?"

"The dream... I've had it before I met you. How is that possible? Did we ever meet before in the past? Before... Before unnie died? I even painted you that one time... I hadn't known you then."

"Haru-yah... Just sleep, ok? When you wake up in the morning, I'll tell you everything... I promise."

"But there won't be any morning for us..."


 

“Haru-yah… jebal… wake up… eomeoni is begging you. Don’t leave me like your sister did…”

I looked around, confused, to find myself sitting at the table in my room. Eomeoni was sitting beside my bed, looking down at an unconscious figure. “Eomeoni… I’m here.” I said.

She didn’t look respond. Instead, she sighed and placed a cloth into a golden basin of water before rinsing it and wringing it of water. On the side was a dress, ripped, tattered and bloody.

I walked towards her and touched her shoulder, “Eomeoni…” Instead of touching her shoulder though, my hand went straight through.

My eyes widened. “Bwoh? Eomeoni!”

Her face was streaming with sparkling tears, so I turned to see who she was looking at. I choked when I saw who it was.

“What…?”

The girl who was lying on my bed was pale and lifeless. Her lips were tinted rosy red and her black, ebony hair framed her unmoving face.

That girl… she was me.

I was lying on my bed; lifeless and unmoving. It was me.

I reached out to touch myself, but my hand only went straight through again. I bit my lip and shook my head, “No… this can’t be happening….” I stared at my hand. It looked solid enough, but whenever I tried to touch something, it just… went completely through.

“Eomeoni…” I croaked out, “Jebal… can you hear me? It’s Haru. Jebal… respond…”

The door slid open and we both turned around to see Abeoji walking in. He walked towards eomeoni and patted her shoulder, “She’ll be fine…” Eomeoni hid her face into his chest.

It sounded more like he was comforting himself than her. I grew teary as I tried to grab at his arm, “Abeoji…”

“Is Haru still not awake yet?” I turned around at the sight of my cousin, Seunghyun. His face was serious, completely contrasting to his usual smiling face; which I last saw around two days ago, the day before the full moon.

“Oppa…” My voice cracked.

He walked right passed me and bowed towards my parents. “Uncle, the monks and priests of the village have decided that tonight is the best night to kill the beast.” His eyes glistened in hatred at the mention of ‘beast.’

I frowned. “What beast?”

Abeoji nodded. Seunghyun-oppa clenched his fists, “We have to avenge Haneul’s and Nana’s deaths. We have to kill that werewolf.”

Werewolf? Who? It can’t be… Hongki, can it? I mean, he didn’t kill unnie. The black wolf did.

“Where is that brown wolf now?” Eomeoni asked. My heart dropped. It was Hongki.

Seunghyun-oppa replied, “He’s being kept in a cage made of silver in the temple.”

“No! You can’t do that! Oppa! Abeoji! Eomeoni! It wasn’t Hongki! He wasn’t trying to hurt me! He didn’t kill anyone! It was the black wolf!” I cried out, desperately, despite knowing that they couldn’t hear me at all.

I sighed in annoyance and looked at the opened door. I bit my lip, and with another look at my lifeless body and family, ran out, heading straight for the temple.


"Hongki!" I looked down and yelled, from the top of the hill, at the perfect boy the wind was dancing around. 

"What is it?" He yelled up, smiling. 

I cupped my mouth and screamed, "I love you!"

"I love you too, Ni An!"