Chapter 6 - Black Curse

Red Riding Hood

When I arrived home, I was immediately engulfed in my mother’s tight embrace. “Eomeoni, what’s wrong?”

She sobbed, “You’re okay. You’re okay…” She touched my cheek and inspected me.

Abeoji let out a sigh of relief, “Do you have any idea how worried we were?”

I frowned lightly, “Why? What’s wrong?”

Eomeoni became quiet. Abeoji’s face turned serious. “A villager found the Kim family’s daughter dead in the forest… She was mauled to death by a wolf.”

My eyes widened. “You mean… Nana… Nana’s dead? Kim Nana?” Abeoji nodded, once, confirming the death of my neighbour. My mouth opened, in shock and I stumbled back, feeling sick.

Eomeoni grabbed me, “Haru-yah, are you okay? Don’t scare eomeoni! Please! Haru-yah!” I pulled away from eomeoni and ran out of the house, heading towards the forest, despite my parents’ calls.


“Hongki-yah! Hongki-yah!” I screamed and screamed, stumbling around in the dark forest towards the familiar hanok. My only source of light came from the full moon.

I’ve always loved the moon. I loved its mysterious way of lighting up the dark night sky, the way it changed shape throughout the month and the way is outshone every bright star surrounding it. I loved hearing stories about the moon. I loved the way it looked like it contained the shadows of a girl and a rabbit. Most of all, I loved the fact that every month, on the day of the full moon, it brought Hongki.

But, for some reason, tonight, the moon seemed like a curse to me, for it had taken Hongki away the moment it appeared and when I needed Hongki most.

“Hongki-yah!” I slid the doors of the hanok open, only to be welcomed by darkness.

It was useless, I knew. Hongki had probably ran off to another beautiful, faraway country, and he was only going to return when the next full moon came.

I collapsed to the floor. “Hongki… where are you? I need you…”

A low growl alerted me and I quickly looked up. “Hongki!”

My heart bubbled in excitement when I saw a dark shadow of a wolf ahead of me. It came close to me. “Hongki…”

But, as it came closer, I realized that is wasn’t him. This familiar black wolf was covered in red blood. And he was the same wolf who killed my sister.


"Oppa! Jebal! Don't go with her! She's just going to hurt you! Please! Listen to me!" Growl.

"Jaehee-yah, just go home. It's none of your business. I love her and I will do everything I can to protect her. She won't hurt me... I trust her. Just go home, it's dangerous for you to wander around at night. Pretend you saw nothing."

"Oppa!"

"Please... Just don't tell anyone. I'll come back. I promise."

"Kajima!" Scream.