Chapter 3 - Hanok In The Woods

Red Riding Hood

“Haru-yah! Run! Don’t stand there!” Unnie yelled out, panic in her tone. “Go!”

But my feet were glued to the ground were I stood. They slowly sunk down into the white snow. My eyes weren’t staring at unnie; they were staring right into the angry wolf’s eyes. Its fur was as black as a raven’s wing. Another wolf growled in the distance.

“HARU-YAH!”

Red.


My eyes snapped opened, slowly processing my surroundings. It was dark, and I was sitting at that same spot, by the window. I sat up and the red hood that covered me slowly slipped down my arms. Before it could fall to the ground, I caught it and wrapped it around myself again. Eomeoni must've placed it on me. 

I walked towards the door and slid it open, to find myself in a new world of ice and snow.

A brown flash appeared in the distance. My eyes widened. The wolf stared right back at me. His deep brown eyes… so familiar… so beautiful. He took off in an instant and I leapt up and raced out the house, following him.

I came to a halt, panting, to catch my breath. The light brown wolf had disappeared from sight. The white snow fell silently around the dark black forest.

Even though it was crisp cold out in the forest, beads of sweat were rolling down from my forehead. Biting my lip, I looked around, searching for the wolf. I don’t know why I was chasing after it; I just felt the need to. I felt like I knew the wolf.

There was a tiny hanok in the distant, and my feet unconsciously began making its way towards it, stopping in front of the wooden door. I reached up and knocked on it softly, twice. Unsurprisingly, there was no reply. The house looked deserted.

Biting my lip, I slowly slid it open. There was a soft, rough sliding noise as the door opened, and light filled the dark house.

A half- boy with soft brown hair sat huddled at the back of the tiny house. He peeked up with squinted eyes that widened when he saw me. His mouth was slightly agape and moved, stutteringly, as if wanting to say something, but not being able to.

My heart leapt in recognition. He was that boy in my picture…the one who had been looking in my house that day.

“W-what are you doing here?” He stuttered out, finally finding his words.

I slowly approached him, “You… I know you.” I squad down a few feet away from him, as I had a feeling he didn’t want me too close.

His eyes flickered for a second then looked back at me, “You’re not supposed to be here… it’s not safe… You should go home.”

I inspected him. His sad and lonely eyes were gone; all that remained were empty, lifeless eyes. Such familiar eyes… Without thinking, I blurted out, “You’re that brown wolf.”