Chapter 10 - Running

Red Riding Hood

They circled each other, send glares of death to each other. Their eyes spoke words to each other that no human would ever understand. The night wolf pounced towards my chocolate wolf, shoving him onto the ground. My wolf pushed him off.

The villagers watched in fear and awe. The monks were ordering the guards to charge and kill those werewolves, but, for once, their orders were defied. The guards, no matter how chivalrous, how strong, how intelligent… None of them had the courage to go near those wolves. 

The remaining monks looked at each other with fiery eyes, and began chanting. The black wolf growled in pain and glared at the monks before preparing to lunge forward towards them. Hongki shoved him over in time, but I could see the pain evident in his eyes.

“Stop chanting!” I yelled, “Please!” I ran towards the monks, only to be stopped by Seunghyun-oppa. “Oppa! Tell them to stop! It’s hurting Hongki!”

“Haru-yah, it’s too dangerous! The monks are performing the ritual; if they stop, the wolves will attack us!”

Before I could say anything, there was a loud howl. The black wolf was howling in pain. He shook his head furiously, as if he was trying to get rid of a headache. He writhed around in pain, knocking over villagers and trees.

I ran towards Hongki, as he collapsed to the ground in agony. “Hongki-yah!”

“Look! The black wolf is leaving!” I looked up to see the dark night wolf running towards a brick wall, crashing through it and running into the forest.

Hongki got up and raced after him. “Hongki-yah!” I rushed after him.


I stumbled. I fell. I was strangled by tree branches and grabbed by bushes. But, I continued to run. I ran because I didn't want to lose Hongki. I didn't want to lose him to the black wolf. I didn't want to lose him to the beautiful moon again.

"Hongki-yah! Hongki!"

My legs felt like they were being torn off from my torso. My feet were running on daggers. My heart was burning... spreading to my lungs... spreading to my throat. It hurt; my breath was being stolen from me.

"Hongki!"

Growl. "You!" A voice snarled. 

My eyes widened as a hand cupped my mouth and arms locked me in. 


"I'm so sorry... Jaehee-yah... Sorry."

"Get away from me!" She threw something against the floor, screaming out in pain and utter despair. "Leave me alone! I can't... I hate you! I hate you so much!"

"Jaehee-yah..." Scream. Sigh. "So sorry... Jaehee. Sorry for everything." He whispered. 

I bit my lip and ran away, before anyone could see me.