Chapter 1 - Painted Picture

Red Riding Hood

 

“There’s been another attack…” I heard abeoji whisper into eomeoni’s ear, when he came into the room. Eomeoni had been sewing some floral patterns for a new hanbok she planned to make for my cousin.

I bit my lip, and continued to paint, keeping my eyes down. This line curves like this around the other line… which arches downward… connects with another…

If abeoji was being so quiet about it, it meant he didn’t want us to know. But it wasn't like we didn't already know... it was just another werewolf attack. They were becoming more and more frequent nowadays. I peeked up, my hand continuing to move on its own, and looked at unnie who was lightly smiling as she read. She hadn't even realized abeoji had came in. 

Haneul unnie’s delicate and wavy long hair was tied back in a loose plait and free strands framed her tiny pale face. Her soft brown eyes widened and twinkled in excitement as they darted side to side, reading the tiny script on the page. She seemed to be in a complete different world, though she was sitting on the other side of the room, by a closed window.

I felt eomeoni’s and abeoji’s eyes bore through my head. Eomeoni tugged at abeoji’s arm urgently and whispered something quick and incoherent and placed her sewing down, before pulling him out.

I looked up at the open door at the dark grey clouds, threatening to send beads of rain down to land. 

Tiny water droplets started spitting down onto the wooden boards outside. I do hope eomeoni and abeoji don't get wet walking outside. 

“Oh, it’s raining again?” Unnie murmured.

I nodded. “Ne…” I looked at her and she smiled softly at me. Her sweet angelic dimples and eye smile were some things that I was not blessed with when I was born. I smiled back to her before looking out the window again.

I was hypnotized by the sound of the soft pitter-patter of rain on the pavement and the way the rain slid down the wooden panels of the door; first a tiny speck of water, then gathering with other tiny specks of water to create one splash of water before trickling down.

As the minutes passed by, and the rain came to a stop, the grey clouds cleared revealing a dark night sky. How had time gone by so quickly without me realizing? I’d sworn seconds ago, the clouds were hiding the sun, not the incandescent moon that sat in the night sky, belittling the glittering diamonds scattered around it.

There was a soft tap on my shoulder. I looked up at saw unnie smiling at me. “Haru-yah, why are you day-dreaming again? Eomeoni’s calling for you… It’s dinner time.”

I looked at her, slightly dazed. “Unnie… how long have I been sitting here for?”

She shook her head and said, “Around five hours? I only stopped reading around an hour ago.” Her eyes darted towards the coffee table I saw sitting at and widened. “Omo… Haru-yah, this is beautiful… Who is it?”

“Hm?” I looked down at what she was looking at. It was my painting I had started before. My eyes widened. I remember only painting the shape of a face, but not completing it. It had rained and I had zoned out before that. “I… don’t know.” It wasn’t the first time this had happened. When I painted, I zoned out and didn’t realize what I was doing until someone came and pulled me out of my little trance.

She smiled and picked it up. “It’s beautiful… his eyes are so beautiful but deep and longing…” She whispered, “Almost sad… and lonely…” She carefully set it back down carefully, as if it was some precious thousand year old china. She patted my back, “Well, hurry and wash up. Eomeoni and Abeoji are waiting.”

I nodded and watched as she walked away, to the dining room. I turned my head and looked at the picture. Unnie was right. The boy’s eyes looked so deep and lonely. I touched the painting, careful not to smudge it.

I felt a dark shadow loom above me so I looked up. I gasped when I saw a boy with soft, but strange-looking, light brown hair looking at me from outside the window. Can someone’s hair be so light? He was dripping with water, as if he had been standing out in the rain all this time. He was, recognizably, the boy in my painted picture. I looked down at it and then looked up again, but the boy was already gone.

“Haru-yah! We’re all waiting for you!” Unnie’s voice echoed.

“Ne! I’m coming!” I stood up and, with another look out the window, quickly joined my family for dinner.