Chapter 7

Sixteenth Note

I opened my eyes. I was inside Lay's car. Maybe I fell asleep after that crying incident. Crying can be tiring at times, especially if you're crying for a very big reason.

 

I looked at my side and found Lay still sleeping peacefully.

 

"Zhang Yixing-ah. When will you stop hurting me? It's not about the disease. It's about you crying just because I was. You know it's not always your fault. You shouldn't take the blame. You shouldn't blame yourself. It's my decision to cry. It's my choice. You have nothing to do with that. It's my fault that I loved you so much. Your only fault is that you're too adorable. Who can resist you?" I smiled upon realizing how cute Lay was. "Yes. You're cute. I admit it. Too cute indeed. I--"

 

My phone rang, it's a reminder tone.

 

'Hospital Today'

 

"Oh yeah. Right. Better keep moving." I lean to kiss Lay on the forehead.

 

"Wait for me here, will you? I won't take long, I promised." I talked to the sleeping Lay.

 

I steal one last glance at him before I got out of the car. The hospital was nearby, so I just walked on the way there.

 

 

When I got there, I went to the information desk.

 

"May I know where's Mr. Go?"

"He's on that room." She pointed at the door on the right side of the hallway.

"Xiexie."

 

I went to the door and knocked several times before opening it.

 

 

"Doctor Go. I want to ask a favor from you. Can you tell me what's the condition of one of your patients. His name was Zhang Yixing." I told him desperately and strongly.

 

When he heard Lay's name, he was left frozen. Then he removed his eyeglasses and put it on top of his desk. He remained looking at his hands for a while.

 

"To be honest with you, I don't think that he can still manage to be alive in a week. He'll live no more than a day or two." The doctor told me sadly. He was still looking at his hands.

 

The words never reached my brain, but it did striked my heart. I never thought that Lay would die that soon. I never thought that He'll take him that quick.

 

"A day... or two?" I asked the doctor. My whole body was trembling.

 

"He was my first patient who was striken by that disease. His brain will collapsed. He will not remember anything. His systems will not work the way it did before. He will become paralyzed. And what's worst, his heart will stop it's beating. No one can live without their heart pumping blood all over their body. The symptoms may come out by now."

 

"Is there... a-anything that w-we can do?" I tried to strengthen myself.

 

The doctor looked down again and shook his head slowly.

 

"I'm sorry to say but... we can't do anything."

 

 

With that, the tears that I was holding back with all my power broke free.

 

"Since when? Since when did he ever got that illness?" I asked him.

"We don't know. But I believed it was there since he was a child. It was on it's stage 4."

 

I cried harder.

 

 

 

One day of time. How would that be enough? I badly wants to be with Lay. And a day wouldn't be enough to show him how much I really love him. Not even forever can be enough.

 

 

I stood at that room while I tried my best to keep my train of thoughts from exploding.

 

I can't... see Lay die. Not when I already realized what I feel for him. Not when I want to show him how much I love him... since the day I met him.