Chapter 2

Sixteenth Note

Several years passed and we grew even closer. Always chatting, eating together and laughing. He always play that piano piece for me.

 

My world revolves around Lay, since the day I met him. He's special. Very special to me.

 

"Hey I want chocolate."

"How 'bout cheese?" Lay asked me.

"Chocolate." I said.

"I told you there's no chocolate flavored ice cream here. Go pick between strawberry and cheese."

"What kind of ice cream stand is this? They don't have chocolate?"

"It's out of stock."

"But I want chocolate."

 

"Gege, give me two strawberry-flavored ice cream." Lay said to the vendor.

"But I want chocolate!" I still protested.

"Don't mind her, gege. She's out of herself again."

"What are you calling me out of myself?!"

"Come on. Here's your ice cream." Lay put the tip of the ice cream to my lips.

 

I accepted the ice cream and grabbed Lay's hand smashing the ice cream into his face. Then, I laughed hard.

 

"I bought an ice cream so I could eat it. Not wash my face with it!" Lay said as he wiped the thing off his face using wet handkerchief.

 

He bought another ice cream.

 

"Try to do it again. I'll get you this time."

"Promise I won't." I said with my right hand raised.

 

We walked together, eating our ice cream while he listened to me as I talked nonsense.

 

"Lay." I called him.

"Hmm?" He answered me.

"You're right about Sixteenth Note. It's different than other notes. It's quite realaxing and inspiring and motivating. Like, since you gave that necklace to me, my world changed. I even look at this before sleeping and I realized that you can do much things in just a day." I said. as I walk and eat my ice cream, facing north.

 

"I also feel far from depression. After a tiresome day, this necklace seems to swallow all my pains. You're really right." I looked back at him because I don't feel like he's walking beside me.

 

Lay is crouching on the ground with his hands on his head and his ice cream spilled on the cement.

 

I ran towards him.

 

"Lay. Lay what happened?"

"My... head... b-badly aches." he answered me with an expression of pain on his face.

"Wait. I'll c-call a cab!" I said panicking.

 

We rode on a taxi to the hospital.

 

 

 

"Doc." I said as the doctor went outside Lay's room.

"We found an unusual thing on his brain. We don't know yet what it is but he seemed to have a brain complication."

"Is it... fatal?"

"We don't know yet. We still have to do a lot of tests to him. Excuse me."

 

I enter his room to see that he's still sleeping.

 

I picked a chair and sat beside his hospital bed.

 

Lay must have felt that someone's inside for he immediately opened his eyes.

 

"Are you feeling well now?"

"A bit. My head still hurts."

"Don't move too much. Doctor said you need to rest." I advised him because he tries to sit.

"What did the doctor said?" He asked me as he settled his body flat on the bed.

 

"Lay... they still have to do some tests to find out what was really wrong with you."

"Ism't it just a simple headache?" He asked again putting his left hand on his head.

"I don't think that it's just a simple headache. You almost fainted. And you said it badly aches."

"Yes. It does. But I frequently experienced this. It's just that today's the worst. Usually, it only hurts for a few minutes but fades after quite some time. Though, it didn't work like that now. Maybe it's because of the heat."

"Let's just wait for the results. We can't just jump into conclusions. But first, you should eat. I know you're hungry."

"Yeah. I'm kind of, now, you know."

"What do you want to eat?"

"I'll hold on to anything right at this moment. I'm starving."

"How 'bout burger? You want burger?"

"Anything. But don't let me eat burger alone. I won't be full with just that."

"Alright. Ice coffee? Burger with ice coffee. And with vegetable salad. Let's add fries. Full with that?"

"Plus chicken. Fried one."

"What am I? A WAITER?!"

"I'll get the bill when I'm done. Do you accept credit cards?"

"Shut up Zhang Yixing. I won't get your food if you'll keep on irritating me."

"Okay. I'll zip my mouth. Just give me food, jiejie." And he cutely held my left hand with his right and swung it just like what a child will do if he wants something.

"I'll get you food." I said as I stand and snatched my hand.

 

I took speed as I grab the door.

 

"Make sure it's all large." Lay shouted before I even got out of his room.