Chapter 6

A Whirlwind Of Calm

Eunhyuk isn't sure if he wants to throw up his breakfast all over Donghae or violently punch the wall closest to him as he watched Kyuhyun wiggle his way into the miniscule space between Sungmin and Leeteuk to sit down and have breakfast with them. The side of his mouth curled up in disgust and he fought to keep his attention fixed on his breakfast rather than Kyuhyun trying to get Sungmin to grab some beansprouts for him.

Glaring down at his own soup, he stabbed the seaweed in it viciously with his chopsticks. The fact that the seaweed tore without resistance and was now in smaller pieces and thus, harder to pick up did nothing for his wonderful mood.

Donghae nudged him in the side and he nearly snarled in the state of annoyance that he was currently in, but it was Donghae and nobody snarled at Donghae so he simply turned and stared.

'Eat,' the smaller man whispered. 'If you stare any harder Kyuhyun is going to have a hole in the side of his face.'

'I hope all his brains fall out,' Eunhyuk grumbled. 

Giving up on the seaweed and shovelling the rest of his rice and kimchi into his mouth, Eunhyuk pushed away from the table and stalked to the living room. He was being a perfectly good best friend, mind you. He had Sungmin's best interests at heart and it was perfectly okay for him to glare at any potential threat to it. Kyuhyun was definitely a threat.

It wasn't that he didn't want Sungmin to be happy; if having Kyuhyun around and paying attention to Sungmin again meant that Sungmin was going to be happy he was all for it, as long as Sungmin was happy. But Sungmin had told him what had transpired between the two of them that night after Kyuhyun was rejected by Zhou Mi and he was not happy at all, to say the least.

No way in hell he was going to approve of Kyuhyun making use of Sungmin so that he could feel better, he groused as he kicked the side of the couch. Regretting the action immediately, Eunhyuk hopped around on one foot, holding his other foot in his hands as he swore inwardly.

Sungmin was his best friend next to Donghae and after three days of holding his best friend in his arms as he cried his soul out, he was pretty sure he wasn't going to let Kyuhyun lay another finger or emotional scar on him; Kyuhyun would have to get through him first.

The only question was how he'd get Sungmin away from Kyuhyun.

Sungmin wasn't exactly fighting to have the attention stopped but he wasn't comfortable with the extra touchy feely stuff going on either. He could tell in the way Sungmin sidled closer to him sometimes, away from Kyuhyun when the latter was looking for a hug or whatever. 'I'm afraid I'll fall for him again, and I'm not sure if I want to stop or if I can stop myself then,' Sungmin had told him that night, hushed and uncertain, his hand uncertainly in the blanket. 

Eunhyuk didn't know what to say. He never had that problem with Donghae. It was simply straightforward with them, Eunhyuk liked Donghae, Donghae liked him back, they were together and they were never going to be apart. Simple, easy, uncomplicated. Thank god for that. 

The sound of the doorbell brought him out of his thoughts and he peeked through, hoping not to see crazy rabid fangirls who had snuck past the security guards. 

It was a delivery man, he sighed in relief, before opening the door and relieving the poor man of his load. Staggering slightly under the weight of a huge sunflower bouquet as well as a bunch of pink and silver balloons, Eunhyuk waddled in a very ungainly way towards the kitchen. 

'Aww Hyuk a surprise for me?' Donghae leapt out of his seat, hands clasped together in excitement.

Eunhyuk shook his head, cooing like the whipped boyfriend that he was when Donghae pouted. 'The guy said it was for Sungmin hyung?'

'For me?' Sungmin's eyes shone with surprise as he took in the fresh bouquet and the balloons in his favourite colours. Leaning over tentatively to grasp at the gifts, he wrapped his arms around the bundle and heaved it onto his lap. The balloon he looped around his wrist as he leant in and smelt the flowers. The gifts had been arriving steadily since that first bouquet he'd received at the photoshoot last week or so and the members around him were starting to notice a certain glow about Sungmin, of genuine happiness. 

Heechul nudged him, cackling madly as Shindong and Kangin started up a chorus of 'Sungmin and his namja sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!' 

Only Kyuhyun wrinkled his nose and nudged the bouquet aside. 'You're getting petals in my food hyung,' he complained and Sungmin moved dutifully, transferring his gifts to his room instead before returning to his place at the table. Leeteuk nudged him frowning, but Kyuhyun simply shrugged and continued eating his food.

-

Kyuhyun was not jealous.

Kyuhyun did not do jealous.

He simply wanted Sungmin's attention all to himself to occupy him so that he wouldn't be thinking of Zhou Mi all the time. He refused to be dependent on Sungmin's presence, especially since it was something that he had voluntarily pushed away nearly a year ago. 

Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin's reflection in the mirror, side glancing the smaller man as he tried to focus on Eunhyuk up front teaching them the dance steps as well. For the hundredth time, he sighed as he tried to force his body to move the way he wanted it to, wishing that he could sing as well as he could dance. Or give up some of his singing talent in exchange for some slick dance moves, he wouldn't mind that either. All the singing in the world couldn't cover it up if you weren't moving with the same force and raw energy as the main dancers of the group.

Watching as Sungmin slid across the dance floor as effortlessly as if he was the one who choreographed the dance, Kyuhyun lost his concentration for a second and stumbled over his feet, landing in a heap on the ground.

He groaned loudly and Ryeowook looked over with a little sympathy in his eyes, he was having as a hard time as him as well. 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes and clapped his hands. 'Alright guys ten minute water break.' He broke off to converse with Donghae about  the dance steps and the rest of the members thankfully dispersed, or collapsed on the floor spread eagled on their backs. Most collapsed.

It had been a really long day.

Kyuhyun simply rolled onto his side, slowly sitting up as he rubbed as his calf muscles, wishing again for the thousandth time that he wasn't so tall so he wouldn't be so prominent in the dance formations.

Out of the corner of the eye, he noticed Sungmin slipping out of the practice room to go wherever he needed to go and Kyuhyun forced himself to look at the ground. He did not have to be where Sungmin was all the time. There was no reason for him to follow the man around like a kicked puppy honestly, he was a grown man and he was perfectly fine on his own. 

Kyuhyun looked up and caught the last of Sungmin's smile at the members before he was out the door.

-

Sungmin hummed contentedly as he strolled to the washroom to relieve himself and clean up a little. His pores had been giving him trouble lately and he had to constantly cleanse his face otherwise his skin would break out again. 

Washing his face thoroughly, he sighed as the sticky feeling left him and he patted his cheeks happily. Sungmin stretched his arms out over his head, hearing his back crick satisfactorily.

He picked up his stuff and made his way back to the practise room, constantly humming Bonamana under his breath, making sure that the beat of the song was well and truly ingrained into his head.

Sungmin rounded the corner and promptly bumped into something firm, his head smacking against the underside of a very sturdy chin. Letting out a small yelp, Sungmin fell on his behind, scattering all his items as his hand flew up instinctively to rub at the sore spot on his forehead.

'Ow,' he pouted sadly.

'I'm so sorry hyung,' Siwon (of course it would be Siwon's firm chest he smacked into) bent down on one knee and his hands began fluttering over Sungmin's body, making sure that he wasn't hurt too badly. 'Did you bruise yourself?'

'Ow,' Sungmin repeated as he continued rubbing at the spot just above his eyebrows. 'Doesn't your chin hurt at all?'

Siwon's eyebrows raised comically as he grinned. 'No not really. It's probably harder than your forehead.' He helped Sungmin up and picked his stuff up him. Holding onto the facial products when Sungmin reached for them, Siwon shook his head, smiling. 

'I'll hold onto them for you. Can we talk?'

Something in Sungmin's stomach sank at those three words. They never did bode well and Sungmin swallowed hard. Maybe Siwon had a problem with him that they had to discuss. The smile on Siwon's face did nothing to reassure him, Siwon was always smiling. It didn't mean anything.

He followed Siwon back the way he came, turning at another corner and ending up in a stairwell with a closed door. Siwon bent to set the things on a low step before straightening up and turning back to face Sungmin with an easy going smile.

Sungmin fidgeted with the hem of his ratty practice shirt. 'Did I do something wrong?'

'Wrong?' Siwon's eyes widened. 'Why would you think you'd done something wrong?'

'I don't know. The whole 'can we talk' thing. Never really did bode well for me,' Sungmin gave a short bark of forced laughter. 'I'm assuming it's good then.' He shoved his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants and looked up at Siwon expectantly.

'Well it's good, I mean, good for me - I mean, good for us,' Siwon broke off with a stammer and ran his hands through his hair, ruffling it up until it stuck out in odd angles. This was the most flustered Sungmin had ever seen the man and he stared at him curiously, waiting for him to go on.

'What I mean to say is,' the tall man sighed and swallowed before plunging ahead with no breaks for air. 'I'mtheonewhohasbeensendingyouflowersbecauseIlliketoseeyousmileandnowIwanttodomorethanseeyousmileandIreallylikeyouandIhopethatyoucanacceptmeandwecanbetogether.' 

Sungmin stared. Siwon, who had closed his eyes and cringed at the end of his ramble cracked open an eye to look at him.

'You didn't get any part of that did you?'

'No no I think I heard the beginning, and something about flowers and I can pretty much work out the rest on my own,' Sungmin worried his bottom lip with his teeth.

Siwon waited.

Sungmin stared some more.

'Oh my god you like me.'

'Yes,' Siwon smiled brilliantly, glad that his message had been conveyed with minimal awkwardness and tripping over on his part.

'Have you lost your mind?'

'Wha - what? Why would you think that?'

'I got dumped remember,' Sungmin gestured to himself. 'There's obviously something wrong with me. You can't like me.'

'Hyung. I don't care about all of that. It's not important,' Siwon took a step forward. 'What matters is that I like you. And now the next question is if you'll accept me. No questions about the past, nothing. I'm not going to hurt you,' he ended on a whisper, taking another step until he was right in front of Sungmin.

Hesitantly, Siwon reached out a shaky hand, sliding it around Sungmin's shoulders and pulling the silently tearing man in for a hug. All he ever wanted to do was protect the man and he had finally summoned up enough courage to do so months after the break up, unwilling to see Sungmin so upset all the time. Even when he was in China he had worried about him. 

Sungmin in a shuddering breath. 'Well I can't say I expected this. I never thought you would be my secret admirer.' His voice came out muffled in Siwon's wife beater.

'And how do you feel about that?'

'I'm a little stunned actually. It's just, a lot to take in at the moment.'

'I've got time,' Siwon his hair a little, resting his chin contentedly on Sungmin's head. 'You don't have to tell me your answer now.'

Sungmin shuddered again with the tenderness of Siwon's embrace and he nodded. 'Could we keep it a secret though?'

'Why?' Siwon's forehead creased, in worry that Sungmin might be ashamed of people finding out. 

'I just don't want the pressure of other people as I'm trying to decide for myself.'

'Makes sense. I could do that.'

Sungmin pushed away from Siwon slightly and rubbed at his eyes. 'We'd better get back to practise, Hyuk will kill us.'

'I'll go first,' Siwon flashed him a smile. 'I'll see you later hyung.'

Sungmin nodded and the man brought his hand up to his cheek, rubbing away the remnants of tears. 'Don't cry,' he murmured and then he was gone.

Sungmin gazed after him, lost in thought as he sank to sit on the steps, his head falling into his hands. He was flattered no doubt about that, Siwon was the face of the group and recognised everywhere for his good looks. To have the man fall for him was a compliment indeed and he was sure he'd have to think hard about how he felt about the younger man.

That wasn't the problem at the moment though.

Siwon was a member. A member. What if he screwed everything up again? Because he was certain he would, at some point or the other. That would be another member he'd have to avoid.

Oh god what was he going to do?