Chapter 3

A Whirlwind Of Calm

Learning the dance choreography was hard, especially when your body just wasn't suited for dancing. Even after all the training that he had been put through, Kyuhyun knew deep down that the rest of the members were much better dancers than him. He could learn the steps and add a little of his own groove to it yes, but there was no way that he'd be able to choreograph or freestyle. It just wasn't his strength. He'd be lying if he said he didn't envy the dancers a little, especially Eunhyuk. 

Things had been getting better in the dorms. The members weren't as hostile to him now that they saw that Sungmin and Kyuhyun were getting along just a little. They barely spoke ten sentences to each other every day. It was mostly 'Good morning' or 'Have you eaten?' or 'Have you seen this? I'm looking for it' and it was a small improvement but it was an improvement nonetheless and the tension that had been hanging over the dorms dissipated somewhat. Heechul still came over at random to smack his palm over his head though, he thought wryly. He didn't expect that to change anytime soon.

Dance practice was at last over for the day and Kyuhyun was pretty sure 'Bonamana bonamana' was going to be ringing in his head for the rest of the night and haunt him in his dreams. He snorted as Leeteuk collapsed on the ground with his head in Kangin's lap, whining about his old bones and old muscles and whatnot. Picking up his towel, he rubbed it vigorously over his face; peeking out from the edge of it as he heard a commotion and he watched as Eunhyuk and Yesung chased Sungmin around the room, holding out their smelly gym shoes in front of them. 

Such children, Kyuhyun shook his head. He wondered sometimes if he really was the oldest or if their biological information was just changed around for the fun of it and to make their band more interesting. It wasn't that it was annoying he enjoyed his hyungs' antics; it's just that sometimes he wished that they were a little more grown up more of the time. Trudging off to the locker rooms to shower, he slammed the locker shut just as his phone started blaring and he slammed the door open again hurriedly.

'Hello?'

'Hello Kui Xian,' a very manly giggle travelled down the line and Kyuhyun relaxed, his back leaning against the cool tiled walls.

'Hey Mi. What's up?'

'Oh Kui Xian you don't have to act so cool on the phone with me I already know you're a dork,' a hiccup before Zhou Mi continued. 'I'm at the clubs with my friends and it got boring. Wanna come join us? We're at the Lounge.'

Kyuhyun couldn't scramble into the showers fast enough. 'I'll be there within the hour. Wait for me okay?' He couldn't resist smiling excitedly at his phone, it wasn't like Zhou Mi could see it but he couldn't help it anyway.

Another hiccup and an uncharacteristic giggle. 'Hurry, waiting for you.'

Kyuhyun couldn't shower fast enough.

-

Kyuhyun was waved over to one of the booths by an obviously intoxicated Zhou Mi, who was laughing and leaning on a couple of his friends, all obviously high as well. Thankfully this was a club popular enough but still just under the radar enough for paparazzi to ignore this place. Kyuhyun ordered a small glass of soju and sat down, grinning amusedly at everybody. 

'Kui Xian you're here!' Zhou Mi trilled as he flung an arm around his shoulder. 'Now entertain us.'

So he talked, told funny stories, even sang a little as he enjoyed the reactions that he got from Zhou Mi and his friends with every word he spoke. He thought it was more the alcohol than anything making him funnier than usual but he ignored it and simply enjoyed the attention that he was getting. The arm slowly snaking around his waist didn't go unnoticed either and he leaned into Zhou Mi's embrace, almost relieved at the physical contact.

A few hours later, even Kyuhyun was tipsy and Zhou Mi was a few minutes from passing out. 

'Alright, it's time to go. I'm calling us a cab and sending you home,' Kyuhyun heaved the taller man to his feet, catching them both as they swayed against the unsteady table.

'The floor is moving. Keep still!' Zhou Mi waved a shaky finger in the general direction that he believed the floor was at, which happened to be the ceiling. Kyuhyun shook his head and hauled them outside, hoping the cool air would freshen them up abit. They jumped together at the rush of the cold wind and shivered together in the five minutes it took for the cab to come. Piling in haphazardly, Kyuhyun had to think for a minute or two before he remembered the address of Zhou Mi's apartment in Seoul.

When they were well on their way, Zhou Mi, who had his head leaning on the seat rest because he was far too tall, tilted his head to look at Kyuhyun.

'Thanks for coming.'

'You know I wouldn't have it any other way,' Kyuhyun whispered back. 

Zhou Mi bit his lip thoughtfully. 'I wonder ...,' he said, before leaning down and kissing Kyuhyun gently on the lips. Kyuhyun wasn't that drunk so he grabbed the front of Zhou Mi's shirt to pull him closer but before he knew it, Zhou Mi was passed out again. Sighing, Kyuhyun realised that they were outside Zhou Mi's apartment and paid the guy to stay and wait for him. Dragging the taller man up, he took off his jacket and arranged him comfortably on his own bed before smoothing out his hair and leaning down to press a gentle kiss to his forehead.

'Goodnights Mi.'

Kyuhyun's fingers didn't leave his lips for the remainder of the cab ride back to the dorms.

-

Sungmin woke up and stretched lazily until he heard that crack in his back. Dropping his arms into his lap, he yawned and stared aimlessly around his bedroom. He finally realised why he had gotten up so early without any morning schedules when his ears finally registered the incessant buzzing of Kyuhyun's phone. Collapsing back onto his pillow, Sungmin mumbled, 'Kyuhyun, answer your phone.'

No response.

'Answer your phone.'

A snore greeted him.

Sungmin hurled a cushion across the room, where it proceeded to bounce off Kyuhyun's before flopping harmlessly to the floor. Kyuhyun snored on. Nearly pulling out his hair in frustration, Sungmin covered his head with blankets for twenty seconds before snarling and throwing them off. He stalked across the room and grabbed the phone off the floor. 

It was Zhou Mi calling.

Sungmin stopped in his tracks and stared at the phone still vibrating in his hand. Shaking his head a little to clear it a little, he finger hovered over the reject button. It's not your business anymore, he chanted a little in his head, his thumb indecisive between the reject and the accept button. He could do this, he could take a message for Kyuhyun since that lazy was still incapable of moving or thinking in the wee hours of the morning, Sungmin rolled his eyes. Besides, it wasn't going to affect him in any way. Nope.

Sungmin was the king of denial, he really was.

Oh what the hell, Sungmin looked up and sighed before moving to answer the call and take a message when the phone stopped buzzing. 

Problem solved, he thought and moved to put down the phone by Kyuhyun's bedside when the phone lit up with a text. Being an iPhone, Sungmin didn't have to unlock his phone to read it and he just couldn't help it. Besides, it wasn't spying if it was just being displayed right there.

Hey Kui Xian, do you remember all of what happened last night? I don't remember much of it but I hope you realised that I was very drunk. My stomach certainly told me so. Thanks for taking me home.
- Zhou Mi


Sungmin threw down the phone and stormed out of the room, half wishing that he had aimed for between Kyuhyun's eyes. He had to do something to work out this aggression before he exploded. Half the reason why he was so calm about everything lately was because he took everything out at the gym or at martial arts practice. His trainer had been complimenting him on his progress of bulking up lately but if he knew the true reason behind Sungmin's crazed workout sessions, he was pretty sure no one would approve. Only pausing on the way out to grab his gym bag when it had been discarded yesterday after a last minute appointment, Sungmin dragged on a hoodie and some shoes before leaving the dorm hurriedly.

It was still dark, he noticed, he hoped no one would be there this early. 

You should really know better, Sungmin fumed at himself. It shouldn't come as a surprise anymore so push it aside and move on idiot. As much as he hoped he would, Sungmin knew there would always be a part of him waiting and praying for Kyuhyun to come back to him. And he was going to squash that feeling today or so help him, he would take up ballet.

Throwing his gym bag into a locker and shrugging off his hoodie, Sungmin charged into the gym aiming straight for the punching bag. He stopped short when he nearly bumped into Kangin and he yelped. 

'What're you doing up so early?'

'Speak for yourself,' Kangin grunted as he put down the dumbbells and punched Sungmin on the shoulder.

'Couldn't punch Kyuhyun so I came down here to punch some other stuff,' Sungmin shrugged. 'You?'

Kangin snorted. 'I was craving for a drink. I couldn't have one, obviously, so here I am.'

They bumped fists before continuing on with whatever they were doing. After twenty minutes of heavy workout sessions, Kangin was hydrating himself on the bench and Sungmin was still pummeling the punching bag like his life depended on it. Kangin's eyes followed every punch before reaching forward to stop the next one.

'Your knuckles are bleeding,' he noted mildly, before leading the smaller man and forcing him to sit. He made his way to the first aid box in the corner and took out some gauze and tape.

Sitting comfortably in front of Sungmin, he took his water bottle and poured the water over Sungmin's hands, ignoring the hiss that Sungmin gave as the water grazed his knuckles. 'You know, beating yourself up bloody won't heal you, you know,' Kangin said as he dabbed away the water and spread the gauze evenly over Sungmin's left knuckles.

'It helps.'

'No, it alleviates, temporarily I might add. But it doesn't help. I know,' Kangin hurried on as Sungmin opened his mouth to speak. 'It's hard, but we're here to help.'

'It's already been a few months.'

'It's been a good few months,' Kangin corrected. 'You've come a long way from when he first left. Ignore him, he's an immature who needs to realise things for himself.'

'What's that supposed to mean?'

'Nothing nothing,' Kangin taped the gauze securely to Sungmin's knuckles before applying pressure to them. 'Still hurt?'

'Not as much as before. Thanks.'

'Here to help,' Kangin stood up. 'You're a good kid Sungmin, don't let him break you down. By the way, all your gym time is paying off. Looking good,' Kangin winked before leaving the gym to take a shower.

Sungmin huffed and swatted at the man affectionately. He was right, it was time to move on. 

There were much better men out there, and by God, he was going to find one.