Killing Camp

Occupational Hazards

 

                “What do you think of this one?  It has rocket ships.   Those would be so cute on you!” Youngjae cooed at the stuffed rabbit tucked under his arm.  The two were scrolling through a children’s sweater website on his iPad.  “Ooooh, look at this one with the little cakes!  Move to shopping cart… and these overalls!”

                “Youngjae?  Are you in there?  We need to talk.”  Daehyun’s voice came through the dressing room door.  Youngjae’s eyes widened in surprise and he chucked the large rabbit across the room just before the door creaked open and Daehyun came into view.

                “God, can’t you wait for a ‘Come In’ before you come barging in?” Youngjae snapped, quickly minimizing his shopping page and clicking back over to his fan café site. 

                “Well, you always say to go away, so…” Daehyun trailed off as his eyes veered to the corner of the room and found his present lying haphazardly on the floor.  He let out a sigh.  He hadn’t expected Youngjae to fall in love with it or anything, but it’d be nice if the younger man didn’t treat it like garbage at least.      Trying to get close to the younger actor was definitely not going as smoothly as he had hoped.

                “So what is it that we supposedly need to talk about?” Youngjae huffed as he pretended to play on his iPad.

                “You and Sunhwa have been asked to take a day off of filming tomorrow and to go back to MNet to film a special “Killing Camp” actor’s edition.  Apparently they were really impressed with your emceeing and want to feature you again.”  This dragged Youngjae’s attention up to his manager.

                “Yeah?  What would I have to do?”

                “Just go on there with Sunhwa and some other actors and do whatever games and activities they have for you.  Just do your cute shtick and you’ll be fine.”

                “Other actors?” Youngjae quirked an eyebrow.  “Who are these other actors?”

                Daehyun had known this question would come, but he was still dreading answering it.  “You know, just some people.  You, Sunhwa, Kim Woo Bin, Jang Geun Suk, Sulli, Park Sin Hye, Yoon Eun Hye… No big deal.”

                Youngjae listened to the names, ticking them off on his fingers, but something didn’t seem right.  “3 boys and 4 girls?  Isn’t that uneven?”

                “Uh… no…there’ll be four and four.”

                “Who’s the fourth guy?”  Youngjae’s eyes narrowed when he noticed how uncomfortable his manager looked.  “Daehyun… who is it?”

                “…Kim Himchan.”

                “No. Absolutely not.”  Youngjae fervently shook his head before picking his iPad up again.

                “Youngjae, listen to me.  This will be great for your drama ratings.  There are a lot of big name stars that you’ll be with- everyone’s going to be tuning in to watch.  You’re the eight biggest movie and drama stars of the year.  You really don’t want to miss a PR chance like this, do you?” Daehyun tried, doing his best to persuade Youngjae from a professional standpoint, but was pointedly ignored.   Daehyun let out a deep, exasperated sigh when he realized that this wasn’t going to work and that he needed to change tactics.

                “There are a lot of competitions.  You’ll have the chance to beat and humiliate Himchan on national TV, with hundreds of thousands of people watching.”  Daehyun gave himself a mental high five when he saw Youngjae’s eyes cease their scanning and he could practically make out the cogs working inside the younger’s head.

                “Alright, whatever,” Youngjae grumbled as he returned to his surfing.  “Just make sure to call and wake me up before you get to my house in the morning.”

                Daehyun gave a hum in response but was internally doing somersaults.  The company president had told him that there was no way in hell Youngjae would ever agree.  This was going better than expected.  Now he just needed to get Youngjae to make it through 24 hours with the black haired diva without any major outbursts or breakdowns and he would be as good as gold.  He was only three weeks in, but already doing better than anyone had anticipated.

               

                Daehyun’s victorious high that had lasted the whole day before was slowly diminishing as he drove toward the MNet headquarters.  He had called Youngjae to wake him up only to be cursed to high heaven by the still half-asleep actor.  When he arrived at the apartment building he had waited but Youngjae never came out.  He called and called, but there was no answer, so he had to go in and pound on the door until Youngjae finally opened it in his pajamas with bed head and bags under his eyes.  Youngjae had simply walked back in and crashed onto the couch, cuddling under a mess of blankets, and leaving Daehyun to search through the mess that Youngjae called a closet to pull out an acceptable outfit.  He tugged Youngjae’s pajamas off and wrestled the outfit on, Youngjae squirming, fighting and whining the whole while.

                He was sure that he’d have a black eye the next day by the time he finally managed to drag Youngjae out of the house and into the car.  They were already running incredibly behind but Youngjae refused the breakfast provided.  He demanded that Daehyun stop at three different places to pick up all the foods and drinks he wanted and by the time they finally pulled up, Daehyun was worried that they were going to start without them.  They raced up to the meeting room where he was heavily chastised by an upper executive and Youngjae was shoved into a dressing room for quick hair and makeup.

                “Tough morning, huh?” A booming voice sounded from behind Daehyun after the executive had yelled to contentment.  Daehyun turned and met with a grinning Yongguk.

                “Eh, on par for the course, I suppose,” Daehyun attempted to make his voice light to bring up his own mood and keep himself from cracking so early in the day, though it wasn’t working.

                “I see you took the advice I gave you.”  Yongguk eyed Daehyun’s outfit of tight khakis, a low cut white wife beater covered with an open, denim button up and all topped with a black bowler hat.  He gave a hum of approval and Daehyun awkwardly turned away.

                “Well… it was kind of nice to get out of the suits,” he admitted, but any further conversation was punctuated by a raspy whine filling the hall way.

                “GUKKIE!  GUKKIE!” Himchan came running down.  He made sure to knock Daehyun out of the way and into a wall as he stood in front of Yongguk and gave a twirl.

                “What do you think?  Is this outfit alright?  I don’t like the way the cordi-noona did my hair.” Himchan stuck out his bottom lip and crossed his arms.

                “It looks great, Channie.  The windswept look suits you?”

                “Really?”

                “Yes.”

                “Really really?”

                “Channie…” but luckily Himchan was kept silent by the booming announcement that came from the speakers overhead.

                “All actors gather in studio 1.  All actors gather in studio 1.”

                “Wish me luck!” Himchan cheered before turning and running off.

                “He sure seems like a handful,” Daehyun chuckled as he dusted himself off from his fall.

                “Eh… he’s grown on me,” Yongguk gave a small smile that Daehyun definitely noticed.  “But you still seem much worse off.”

                “I’m trying to take your advice, but it’s just not really getting much better.”

                “Patience.  Trust me, I’ve been around long enough to know something about Yoo Youngjae.  He hates people.  I mean, absolutely loathes them.”

“Great,” Daehyun grumbled under his breath.

“But I think that means that you just need to give him time to open up.  Even someone like him can’t stay alone forever.”  Daehyun nodded his head in understanding, taking the elder’s words in.  “Well, we better go keep an eye on them.” Yongguk nodded down the hallway and the two managers moved toward the filming studio. 

                Everyone gathered together in the studio, the eight actors in the middle and a hoard of technical crew, directors, aides and managers that were just out of sight of the camera lenses.  The air was tense as everyone made small talk, but rivalries were blatant.  Though Daehyun knew they’d all be able to turn on the charm when the cameras started rolling, the tension in the air now could be cut with a knife.

                “Ok, so when we start you guys need to all be standing here, looking bored and confused.  You think you’ve come for a hosting gig.  Then the mysterious cellphone will go off and Woobin will answer it.  I need you all to act surprised and shocked.  Then from there you’ll be lead through various activities.  Also, you have your bags for camping, right?”  Everyone nodded and the director looked relieved.  “Ok then.  Get into positions and be ready on my count.”

                As the director counted off, the atmosphere immediately changed.  Everyone on stage instantly morphed into their on-camera personas.  They stood closer together and chatted and laughed more freely.  The camera’s started rolling and Daehyun was impressed to see Youngjae take the lead.

                “What do you guys think is going on?  I mean, we can’t all be emceeing together right?” he asked as he tilted his head cutely at the end of his question.

                “And where is everybody?  They just rounded us up into this room and left us in here.  Something must be going on,” Sunhwa added, her expression full of determination.

                “Well, it could be-“ Geunseuk started, but was cut off by the loud alarm of an unseen cellphone.  The tone was spooky and all of the actors jumped and screamed.

                “What is that?!” Shinhye asked and Woobin walked towards the offending sound.

                “It’s a cellphone,” he announced when he found the offender.

                “Answer it!” Sulli told him.  Woobin did so, putting the phone on speaker mode as everyone gathered around him to listen.

                “Welcome actors,” the heavily digitized voice greeted and everyone let out loud “WOAH!”s.  “You have been summoned here to complete several tasks before you will be allowed to go home.  Are you up for the challenge?”  The actors all shared puzzled, questioning expressions before Woobin answered in the affirmative for them.

                “Your first task will be a trivia match.  The boys will challenge the girls in a battle of the es to see who’s the smartest of the group.  Are you ready?” 

                The actors and actresses were lead to two sets of podiums facing each other.  The rules were quickly explained by the phone and the match was ready to begin.

                “Ladies, what is the largest ocean?”  The girls discussed it together for a brief second before Eun Hye answered “The Pacific!”

                “Correct.  Gentlemen, how many inches are in an American foot?”  The boys turned and stuck their heads together to discuss. 

                “It’s 12,” Youngjae said to his group members immediately before turning back to answer the question officially.  He was stopped mid-turn, however, when Himchan grabbed his elbow and pulled him back down.

                “It’s not 12, it’s 10,” Himchan retorted.

                “No it’s not,” Youngjae growled, turning to the other two men for support, but they just shrugged, having no idea.

                “Come on.  What stupid measuring system doesn’t use increments of 10?  That’s stupid.”  Before Youngjae had a chance to argue, Himchan turned and stated the group’s official answer.  “It’s 10.”

                “That is incorrect.  Ladies?”

                “12!” Sunhwa answered and the girls’ team was immediately rewarded another round of points.

 

                Daehyun groaned as he watched Youngjae slowly becoming undone, his sweet boy façade slipping away.  The game proceeded with Himchan arguing with the younger boy at every question until the oldest two finally took it into their own hands to keep Himchan quiet and allow “The Brain” to answer all the questions instead.  Unfortunately it was too late at this point since the girls had an insurmountable lead and the game finally ended with the girls’ unquestionable victory.

                As a reward, the girls were allowed a head-start for the next activity.  It was an individual game.  Each actor was let loose in the grocery story with a backpack and a stack of cards.  On each card was a letter and they could only buy foods that contained those letters.  There were also “Freeze”, “Swap” and “Steal” cards placed in the bags and around the store.  They were all told that whatever food they found would be their lunch later in the day.

                By the time the boys were allowed to start the girls’ bags were already half full.  Youngjae paid no mind to anybody else, simply ripped open his envelope and grinned down when he noticed the “swap” card placed amongst his letters.  He took off a top speed before the other three boys had even managed to decipher their own cards, and set to work filling his bag with as much food as possible.   He was coming close to finishing when he noticed Himchan shoving a green tea cake into his own bag.  An evil grin spread across his features as he stalked toward the elder like a panther on the hunt.  This couldn’t be more perfect.

                “Ne, Hyung, what is that?” he asked cutely, pointing toward the cake.  Himchan eyed him with suspicion, but Youngjae kept his face as innocent as possible.

                “Cake. Why?”

                “Hyung, do you like grapefruits?” Youngjae asked but Himchan vehemently shook his head.  “Well, that’s unfortunate.”  Youngjae placed a grapefruit and the swap card into Himchan’s hand before quickly grabbing the cake and dashing back down the aisle.

                “YOO YOUNGJAE!” he heard Himchan scream when the older finally realized what had happened.  Youngjae snickered and looked down at the prize in his hands.  This entire mess of events would surely be made much better as long as he could unwind later and enjoy a treat.  He had been on a strict diet for the last month and hadn’t been allowed any sweets whatsoever.  But now that he held one so tightly in his hands, he could feel his heart and stomach calling out for it.  His mouth was watering as he eyed the pretty swirls of green when it was suddenly yanked from his sight and a yellow card took its place in his outstretched hands.  He read the world “Steal” and his head shot up to see a grinning Sulli.

                “Thanks, Jae Jae,” she cooed and then her heel and took off down the aisle.  Youngjae was about  to run after her, to steal the cake from her dead, cold hands if he had to, but the buzzer sounded and the game was called to an end.  He was chauffeured to the front of the store once more and the bags were taken from them, his precious cake having disappeared inside.

 

                “Daehyun…” Youngjae growled as he stomped over toward his manager.  They were getting ready to move to their next location and the cameras had stopped rolling to be packed into the vans.

                “Hey, Youngjae, you’re doing good,” Daehyun tried to reassure the younger, noticing the practically visible billows of steam coming from the younger’s ears.

                “They took my cake.”

                “I know, I saw. But it’s part of the rules.  I’ll get you a cake once everything is done, ok.”

                “I want a cake NOW.”

                “You’re not supposed to eat anything off set, that’s the rules-“ Daehyun was cut short as Youngjae grabbed the front of the elder’s shirt, dragging him close until their noses were almost touching.  Daehyun shivered as he felt Youngjae’s hot breath fanning over his face.

                “Get my cake tonight or so help me God, I will skin you alive in your sleep.”  Youngjae pushed his manager back and gave him a last, stony glare, before turning on his heel and going back to the other gathered actors.

                Yongguk let out a low whistle once the actor was gone and shook his head.  “Don’t do it.  This is one of those times that you need to stand strong,” he commented.

               “Are you sure?”  Daehyun shivered as he thought about the possessed look in the boy’s eyes just moments before.

                “Trust me.”

 

                The actors were gathered into vans and driven out of the city and into a wooded campsite.   The actors were given their bags back, but disappointed to see that the actual food items that they had picked up had been downgraded with smaller portions.  The random mishmash of food items was barely enough to satiate them, but they made sure to keep their whining to only an entertaining level, like the professionals they all were.

                Youngjae eyed Daehyun, signaling that he wanted cake given to him off camera, but Daehyun shook his head.  He kept his outer appearance strong, but inside he was slightly unnerved by the death glare he was receiving.  He knew that the younger was going to make him pay later, but he hoped that Yongguk was right about this helping him in the long run.

 

                Once everyone had eaten, they were split back into two teams for a game of capture the flag.  Sunhwa and Woobin were the team captains and the teams picked were Sunhwa, Youngjae, Eun Hye and Geunsuk vs. the other four actors.  The game lasted quite a while since both teams had hidden their flags well, but for the first time in a long time Youngjae found himself honestly laughing and smiling as he and his teammates dashed and darted through the wooded arena in search of the other flag.  The game finally came to an end when Eun Hye managed to sneak in behind enemy lines and steal the opposing team’s flag, signaling a victory for team Sunhwa.

               

                They were all gathered once more for the last official game of the night.  It was a scavenger hunt that was to be played in pairs.  Each pair would be given a map and a different starting point.  They had to use the map and their first clue in order to continue finding clues that would eventually lead to their camping site for the night.  The first team to arrive would receive the best dinner and tents, with the last pair receiving the worst.

                “Alright, I will announce your pairs and give you your map!  The pairs have been selected at random- one person from the winning team and one person from the losing team,” the director stated.  “First pair: Han Sunhwa and Kim Woobin.”  Youngjae grimaced.  Sunhwa was the only person he could remotely stand amongst everybody here.  As long as he wasn’t paired with you-know-who… “Second pair: Jang Geunsuk and Sulli.”  Youngjae felt dread building up as the two names he was waiting for had yet to be called.  “Third pair: Park Shin Hye and Yoon Eun Hye.”  NO.  Youngjae could barely hear the call of “Fourth pair: Kim Himchan and Yoo Youngjae” over the internal groan he released.  This was just perfect.  Not only was he going to have to traipse along for hours, secluded in the woods with that narcissistic airhead, but they were going to have to share a tent for the night too.

                “Hey partner,” Himchan grinned as he skipped over through his arm around Youngjae’s shoulders, mugging for the camera.

                “Make us lose and I will slice up that pretty face of yours,” Youngjae growled when he saw the camera turn to another pair.  Himchan’s arm immediately left his shoulder as the elder backed away.

                Each pair was given their map and clue and told to start whenever they were ready.  Youngjae and Himchan bent over theirs together, studying it.

                “Look,” Himchan whispered in a low voice once he felt that they were safe from the prying eyes of the cameras for a second.  “I know we’re not the best of friends-“ Himchan narrowed his eyes at Youngjae’s derisive snort but forced himself to brush it off and continue.  “-but if we can it up and use your brains, then maybe we can actually win.”  Youngjae nodded, not wanting to agree with his nemesis, but also not wanting to sleep on the forest floor.  “So, what does the first clue mean?”

                Youngjae studied the piece of paper, thumb nail held tight in between his teeth as he racked his brain.  Finally he looked up and pointed toward the left.  “I think we go in that way and then need to look for a large oak tree with a red ribbon tied around it.  It should be near a boulder.”  Himchan nodded and the pair headed down the trail into the woods.

                 It didn’t take them too long to find the tree in question.  They circled it, looking for the next clue, but couldn’t find it.  They dug in the dirt, looked under rocks and waded through leaves, but there was nothing to be found.  Finally, as Himchan looked up to give a cry of exasperation to the sky, he spotted a white piece of paper hidden in the branches above.

               “There!” he cried and jumped up, attempting to grab.  He fell a few feet short, however, no matter how much power he put into it.  “Here,” he waved Youngjae over, “get on my shoulders.”

               “Are you serious?” Youngjae shot him a look of disbelief that Himchan countered with a sigh of frustration.

              “Do you want to win or not?”

               Himchan crouched down and Youngjae uneasily made his way behind the older man.  “Swing your legs over my shoulders and hold on.”

               Youngjae did as he was told, swing one leg, then the other over Himchan’s surprisingly strong shoulders.  He situated himself and gave Himchan the ok to stand up.  This did not go as smoothly as he anticipated, however.  Himchan’s movements were wobbly, which made Youngjae feel as if he were about to plunge to his premature death at any moment.  In a panic he grabbed onto the only thing in front of him.

             “THAT’S MY HAIR, YOU IDIOT,” Himchan screeched, stumbling and knocking the two into the tree. 

               “I’m trying,” Youngjae growled, regaining his balance and stretching up.  He grasped the folded note in between his fingertips and called out in victory.  Himchan instantly fell to his knees, pushing the younger boy off of him.  They both stood, dusting themselves off before opening the clue and looking over it.

              “What does it mean?”  Himchan asked Youngjae who had once again  taken his “thinking pose” of gnawing on his thumb nail between his teeth.

              “This way!” Youngjae pointed and the two sped off down the trail.

               The two worked as a surprisingly seamless team.  Youngjae was the brains while Himchan was the brawn and they dashed from clue to clue, winding their way through the forest.  They laughed and joked as they worked, mostly cheesing it up for the cameras following them, but also, for the first time, Youngjae didn’t feel like ripping the elder’s throat out at every sound of his voice.

              Before too long they found themselves at the last clue.  Himchan wedged the note out from between a boulder and tree and handed it to the younger.  Youngjae read over it thoroughly.  This one was a bit trickier than the last, but before too long he had solved it. 

             “We need to go straight here and then take a left at the fork.  Break off the path at the second bolder and follow a trail of ribbons.  Let’s go!”

              The pair dashed and followed Youngjae’s orders and soon the campsite, already packed with tents and gear, came into view.  They picked up their speed, sprinting straight ahead, side by side, and arrived with cheers from the crew when they reached the end.

             “Congratulations!  You two are the first to arrive.  So, you will have the luxury tent and all you can eat barbeque tonight!”

               Youngjae gave a joyous cry and immediately jumped into Himchan’s, wrapping his legs around the man’s thin waist.  Himchan held him tight, jumping up and down in victory.

               “BBQ!  BBQ!  BBQ!” the two chanted, loudly, wide smiles adorning their flushed faces.

             Soon they came down from their winner’s high, however and gave one look into each other’s eyes before springing apart.  They readjusted themselves, trying to look casual.  Luckily they were saved further embarrassment by the crew as they were lead away from the cameras to the resting area to wait for the rest of the teams.

 

                Not too long afterwards the other teams arrived and they were lead to dinner.  Youngjae and Himchan were set up with the barbeque spread while the other teams had to fight for other scraps.  As the pair sat on a log by the fire, relishing in the juicy meat that they had both been long denied because of strict diets, Himchan turned the younger by his side.

                “Thanks for that, back there.  Figuring out all the clues, I mean.  I wouldn’t have been able to do it myself.”

                “It’s… it’s fine.  I mean, you helped get them all since you’re so much taller.”

                “I guess we weren’t the world’s worst team then, huh?” Himchan nudged Youngjae’s side with his elbow.  It earned him a chilly glare before Youngjae cracked a small smile, playfully shoving Himchan back.

 

 

                Youngjae let out a groggy groan as he felt his precious sleep slipping away into a painful consciousness.  He tried to grab for it, but is slinked away, being chased off by the painful pressure in his bladder.  Youngjae let out a quiet curse as he fumbled for his glasses.  Not that they did much good, however, as his eyes were still so heavy that he could barely open them.  In his visually impaired state he stumbled through the tent, feeling some body part of Himchan’s under his foot, though he couldn’t have cared less at that moment, as he finally made it through the zipped up door and outside into the cold night.  He did his best to move through the maze of tents, and was careful to disappear far enough into the woods that nobody would see or hear him.  He was a stickler for privacy and made sure that he couldn’t discern any sight or sound of the campsite before he dropped his trousers and proceeded with his business.

                He fought to keep himself awake, eyes still most closed as he stood on unsteady feet.  When he finally felt himself finish he pulled his pants back up and turned to go home.  He had only taken a step when his foot, heavy and unable to lift off the ground far enough, caught in a protruding tree root and he tumbled toward the earth.  He fell forward-hard- and didn’t manage to catch himself.  He winced when he hit the ground and felt something crack underneath his torso.  When he noticed how blurry his vision was, he knew exactly what it had been.

                “Ow.  Ow ow ow ow ow,” he cried when he tried to untangle his foot to stand.  A sharp pain was shooting up his right leg any time he moved it.  He finally managed to sit up and free his twisted ankle, feeling it pulsing and swelling beneath his touch.  He reached forward, blindly patting the ground until he found his glasses frames, the lenses shattered out of them.  “Dammit,” he cursed.  Now he couldn’t see considering that he was blind as a bat without his contacts or glasses. 

                He tucked the frames into his pocket and put his weight on his left leg, attempting to stand.  He managed to get up, but the second his right foot even grazed the ground he fell back down from the searing pain.  He felt tears coming to his eyes as he grabbed and cradled his sore ankle.  He couldn’t see, he couldn’t walk, and everyone else was far away and sleeping.

                “Help!  Help!” he called, though he knew that it was futile.  He cursed himself for wandering so far out, for being so stupid.  He body shivered from the cold and ached for sleep.  “Help!” he cried again, wiping his tears, but there was no one to hear.

                “Hyung, hyung…wake up, hyung.”  Daehyun groaned groggily at the sound from outside of his tent that pulled him from his reverie.  He felt Yongguk sit up and grab at the tent door, ping it.  Daehyun rolled over and opened his eyes just as a head popped in.

                “Himchan, what the hell?” Yongguk growled, his deep voice even rougher from sleep.

                “Hyung… I can’t find Youngjae.”  This woke Daehyun up and he sat up to give the actor a questioning look.

                “What do you mean?”

                “He stepped on me and woke me up when he left the tent a while ago.  I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t until he came back.  So I waited and waited but he never did.  I stepped out to look for him, but I couldn’t find him anywhere… I’m getting worried.”  Daehyun threw his blankets off and grabbed his shoes in a panic.  He was absolute dead meat if Youngjae went missing on his watch. 

                “I’ll come look with you,” Yongguk offered.  “Himchan, you stay here and call us if he comes back.”  Himchan nodded and left to go back to his own tent and wait.  Daehyun and Yongguk dressed in record time and stumbled out of the tent.  “You take that way and I’ll take this way.  Call me if you find him.”  Daehyun nodded and dashed off towards the woods.

 

                “Youngjae!  Youngjae!” Daehyun called, heading darting left and right as he looked for any sign of the boy.  His body shivered but his worry and adrenaline made his mind ignore the cold.  “God dammit, Youngjae.  Where did you go?”

                Daehyun was debating where to go next- maybe he should change his direction, when something that sounded like a sniffle caught his attention.  He stopped, straining his ears to hear it again.  His heart jumped when he heard a hiccupping sob.  “Youngjae!”

                There was a moment of silence before he heard a choked answer.  “Daehyun?”

                “Youngjae!  Where are you?”  Daehyun dashed toward the direction of Youngjae’s voice and soon he could see the boy sprawled on the ground, clutching his ankle.  “What’s wrong?” he asked as he came closer and saw Youngjae’s chubby,  tear-stained cheeks.

                “Daehyun? Where are you?  Help me!” Youngjae’s head whipped side to side and he jumped when he felt someone grab his arm as they knelt down next to him.  “I broke my glasses and sprained my ankle.  I thought I was going to die out here.  I was going to freeze or get eaten to death.  I'm too young and cute to die like this.”  Youngjae’s voice caught in his throat as he let out another sob. 

                “Shhh…” Daehyun soothed him as he delicately reached for Youngjae’s ankle.  Youngjae’s immediate hiss and the apparent swelling confirmed that it was twisted.  “Alright, let’s get you back to the camp site.”

                “I can’t walk, though,” Youngjae countered as he wiped his cheeks. 

                Daehyun thought about it for a moment before turning and grabbing Youngjae’s arms.  He brought them around his neck and leaned forward.  “Grab on and I’ll carry you back.”

                Youngjae sniffed once more and then tightened his grip.  Daehyun grabbed under Youngjae’s knees and then shakily stood, legs fighting to lift both of their weights.  Once he was situated they slowly made their way back to the campgrounds.  Youngjae held on tight, face resting against the back of Daehyun’s head.  The older man’s body warmth was helping to warm his chilled body and he felt relieved to finally be headed back to safety.

                Once they reached the camp grounds, Himchan immediately ran up from where he had been pacing by the clearing’s border.  “Where the hell did you go?” he hissed at the confused Youngjae.  “You had us worried sick.”

                Youngjae was taken aback by Himchan’s attitude.  Although he couldn’t see the older actor’s face, he could hear the worry in his voice.  “S-sorry, Hyung.”

                “You better be,” Himchan snapped again, but Daehyun cut him off before he could say anything else.

                “Call Yongguk and tell him we found him.  Then in the morning let the MNet people know that I took Youngjae home.  He needs medical attention.”

                “Alright, be safe getting home,” Himchan said as he pulled out his phone and dialed for Yongguk.

 

                Daehyun carried Youngjae out of the campsite and to the parking lot where his car was.  “I need to go back and get our stuff.  Just rest here until I get back, ok?” Daehyun said as he situated Youngjae so that he was lying down in the back seat, foot propped up against the far door in order to keep it elevated.  As Youngjae nodded his head in understanding, his stomach gave out a loud growl and his cheeks flushed an immediate pink.

                “Sorry…I guess being awake made me hungry…”  Daehyun chuckled and went to the front seat, grabbing a plastic bag.

                “Actually, I uh… I got this for you at the super market before we came.  I just didn’t want to give it to you when you were being such a little , but I guess you deserve it after what you’ve been through tonight.”

                Youngjae narrowed his eyes at the insult, but is curiosity kept him from commenting on it.  “What is it?”

                “Here, open your mouth.”  Youngjae was suspicious, not quite trusting Daehyun, but he did as he was told.  Soon a smooth green tea flavor was invading his senses.

                “My cake!” he cried.  Daehyun situated the cake in Youngjae’s lap and placed the fork in his hand.

                “I’ll be back soon. Enjoy.”

                Youngjae hummed in understanding as he shoveled another large bite into his mouth.  Daehyun closed the car door and Youngjae rested his head back against it.  He closed his eyes as he allowed the cake to slowly melt on his tongue, his sleepy thoughts drifting back to his manager.  Maybe he wasn’t as bad as he had made him out to be…

-------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry this took me fifty million years and that it's also complete crap.  But work has been SLAMMED and I've just been so busy and tired that I come home and die.

It took me forever just to make the outline for this one.

I haven't proofread it, either.  I'll check over it again later, but I just didn't want to make you guys wait any longer.

 

In other news my BAP concert is coming up this weekend!  So I imagine the next chapter will either be a bit early or a bit late depending on where my BAP feels take me.  I'll definitely let you know how it goes, though!

Thanks for sticking through with me,

Dani <3