Babysitting a Brat

Occupational Hazards

 

            “Ah, Mr. Jung, you’re finally here,” a curvy, purple haired girl grabbed Daehyun by the hand and dragged him through the studio.  “They already started filming, but there’s plenty of paperwork to go over while you wait.  I’m Hyosung.  I’m one of the assistants around here.” 

            Daehyun didn’t even have a moment to respond as he was jerked this way and that down various hallways and corridors, finally digging in his heels to stop when he noticed that they were near the set.  Hyosung stopped and turned back, noticing where his attention had turned and allowed him a moment.

            Daehyun crept closer to the set, careful to be quiet and out of sight, but wanting to see his client in action.  From the information he had read on the way over to the studio from the office, Youngjae was currently filming a love drama about an office romance between a boss and her employee.

            “Mr. Kwan, where is the paperwork I asked you for?  I told you that I need it for the meeting with the Choi Company.  I don’t know what we’re going to do if they actually manage to buy us out.”  Daehyun watched as the petite, curly, orange haired actress paced her “office” in a frantic frenzy, hands running through her hair- a little over dramatic in Daehyun’s opinion.

            “Noona.” Daehyun’s attention now snapped to the chocolate brunette who stood up and grabbed the actress by the waist, pulling her into his chest.  His voice dripped like honey, sweet and smooth.  He had seen his face in advertisements and in the snippets of television he managed to watch, but he was still surprised to see how handsome and sweet looking the boy was in real life.  “I’ve told you not to worry.  You can always rely on me and I’ll keep you safe.”

            “Joonho…” the actress breathed out as Youngjae brought his hand up to delicately cup her cheek, face tilting to the side.

            “Come on.  There’s a lot to go over before they wrap up for the day.” Daehyun turned his attention when he felt a tug on his hand and the purple haired girl was dragging him away once more.

 

            “This is Mr. Yoo’s personal dressing room.  You can sit in here and go over this.”  Hyosung led him over to the couch and dropped a thick file into his hands.  “In here is all of the information you need to know about the company and about Mr. Yoo.  His likes, his dislikes, his contract stipulations, his schedules, past, current and future projects, everything you’ll ever need to know is in here.  Familiarize yourself with it and get ready for schedules to come. As manager, you’re expected to get him to all of his schedules, to keep him happy, to get him what he needs, and to help with his image and appearances, keeping him current, setting him up with variety and talk shows, the like.  Though, you’ve managed before, so it shouldn’t really be news to you.  Just… be careful.  And definitely familiarize yourself with the first part of the file.  If you step one toe out of line, Mr. Yoo will never let you live it down.”

            Daehyun thanked her and took the file from her before she was back out the door once more.  He sat down on the couch, but his mind was still reeling.  He couldn’t believe what everyone was saying about Youngjae.  There was no way that the sweet boy he had seen in the interviews and on set just now could be as bad as everyone was saying.  He opened up the file and began to peer through.  He started with the schedule, eyes going wide when he saw the sheer length of the list of events and appearances.  He had thought 360 was busy, but this was ridiculous.  When was he even supposed to go home and sleep? 

            Daehyun shook his head and set the schedules aside.  It didn’t really matter anyway- he knew that he was incredibly lucky to have gotten in with a company as big as B.A.P. Entertainment, especially after everything that had happened.  A few sleepless nights were well worth it at this point in his career.  He instead turned his attention to the larger section of papers and thumbed through them. 

            Mr. Yoo is to be presented with 3 meals and two snacks a day.

            All meals should be warm unless otherwise directed.

            When the temperature exceeds 85 degrees, the lunch time meal should be a cold meal.

            Coffee should be served with breakfast and dinner and be exactly 142 degrees.  There should be one creamer and one half of a raw sugar packet in each cup of coffee.

            Green tea should be served with lunch and be exactly 140 degrees.  No additives.

            Filtered and lightly lemoned water should be served with all snacks. The juice from one wedge of lemon should be added for every eight ounces of water and three ice cubes should then be added.

            Snacks should consist of almonds, fruits, or yogurts, as per Mr. Yoo’s daily request.

            Green Tea Cheesecake should be served for every Sunday dinner.

            All rooms that Mr. Yoo enters should be exactly 80 degrees. 

            All toilet seats are to be replaced weekly in Mr. Yoo’s personal dressing rooms and offices.

           

            Daehyun gawked at the list before him and flipped from page to page. 10 goldfish to be kept in 5 separate fishbowls placed evenly throughout the room?  All bathrooms and towels should be prewarmed before his showers? This kid had to be kidding if he thought he was seriously going to be doing all of this.

            “What is this?!” Daehyun’s concentration was broken and he looked up at the sound of the voice ringing through the halls.  Though he had heard it not too long ago out on the set, it sounded completely different now- much more high pitched and whinier.  “I ASKED FOR POMEGRANATE GREEK YOGURT, NOT STRAWBERRY BANANA.  HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EAT THIS ?!”

            “I’m so sorry, Mr. Yoo,” a low level worker seemed to be whimpering. 

            “Well sorry doesn’t cut it.  Get me a new one.  I have to go back on set soon, so hurry with it.”

            “But sir, there are no grocery stores nearby that sell that type of yogurt.  I don’t think I can be back in time before you have to film again.”

            “Then don’t bother coming back.”

            The harsh, biting voice was just outside before the door was flung open and the petit brunette stormed into the room.

            “But sir, I-“ but both boys’ attentions were soon turned to the young man sitting on the couch, eyeing the two.

            “Who might you be?  And what the hell are you doing in my dressing room?” Youngjae growled, but Daehyun paid him no mind.  He was used to working with over entitled stars.  He instead stood up and walked across the room, hand outstretched to shake his new client’s.

            “Jung Daehyun.  I’ll be your new manager from now on, Mr. Yoo.”  Daehyun kept his arm outstretched, waiting for Youngjae to return the gesture, but it never came.  Instead, Youngjae’s eyes trailed slowly up and down his body, a smirk playing on his lips as his eyes oozed judgment and disdain.  Daehyun was slightly intimated by the fact that although the boy seemed so adorable and petit on set, he was actually slighter taller and bigger than Daehyun.  But, even so, he made sure to keep his face stoic and subtly straightened his posture to give himself as much height as possible.

            “Is that so?” Daehyun retracted his hand when he realized that Youngjae was not going to be professional about the situation.  Maybe he really was as bad as everyone said.  “Well then, Mr. Manager, how about you get me my yogurt since this now unemployed dimwit couldn’t complete one simple task.”

            Daehyun eyed the yogurt with a cocked eyebrow, ignoring the whimpering protests of the third boy in the room, before staring straight back into Youngjae’s eyes.  “No.  If you don’t like it, don’t eat it.  But I’m not going to be running all around town for something so trivial when we have more important things to discuss.  Now, about your schedule for this week-“ but Daehyun’s words were cut short as he felt a pressure against his chest and looked down to see a gooping, pink mess dripping down his suit jacket.  He glanced up to see Youngjae smirking at him, blatantly pleased with himself.

            “Nobody says no to me, Daehyunnie.”

            Daehyun let out a sigh, finally coming to terms with what everyone had been saying- this would not be an easy job.  But no matter, he couldn’t let his professionalism falter.  This was just a stepping stone to getting his career back on track.  He took off his suit jacket and laid it over his arm, mess side up.

            “I’ll send you a bill for the dry cleaning.  Also, I noticed that Saturday, you only have schedules until 4:00 and then are free until Monday morning again.  Whatever plans you had for that time, cancel them.  You won’t be going out.”

            Youngjae’s smirk quickly dropped and he paled.  “What do you mean?  Are you grounding me?  Just who the hell do you think you are?!”

            Daehyun met the younger’s fiery glare with his own hard, stoic gaze.  “If you’re going to treat me like a babysitter, then I’m going to treat you like the brat you are.  So yes, you are grounded this weekend.  You are not to leave your house until I come to get you for Monday’s schedule.”

            If it had been a cartoon, steam would have been billowing from Youngjae’s ears by now.  He couldn’t believe what he was hearing.  No one had ever talked to him this way and he sure as hell didn’t like it.  He felt his face heating up and his body start to shake.  “You think you’re so tough, but I’ll have you out of here in no time- just like the rest of them.  You’ll regret ever messing with me,” he growled.  He sent the elder brunette one more blistering glare before he his heel and stormed out of the dressing room, making sure to slam the door behind him for good measure.

            Daehyun waited until the actor’s stomps had faded away before he moved back to the couch and flopped down.  He set his soiled jacket aside and brought his hands up to his head, rubbing his temples gingerly.  “Come on, Daehyun.  You can do this.  You just have to show him who’s boss,” he mumbled to himself as he did his best to soothe away his headache.  “You’ve got to pay your rent, so just it up.”

 

           

            Daehyun pulled up next to the curve and put his car in park.  Youngjae’s condo was pretty nice for a 24 year old and Daehyun couldn’t help but be a little bitter when he looked at it.  “We’re here.  Now, don’t forget that you’re not supposed to go out this weekend.  Stay in and think about your attitude,” he warned, glancing in the rearview mirror at the young man in the back seat.  Youngjae was slouched against the leather seat, arms crossed and face set in a scowl.

            “Whatever, mom,” the actor snarled as he undid his seatbelt and threw the car door open, slamming it shut without looking behind. 

            Daehyun let out a sigh of relief that the brat was slowly disappearing from his sight into the high class building.  He needed a small break even if it was going to be a while before he got to go home.  He knew that Youngjae wasn’t going to listen to him and he intended to stand guard outside the building all weekend if he had to.  This past week had been the week from hell, as Youngjae had promised, but he couldn’t let him get off that easily. 

                  Daehyun cringed and slumped down in his seat as his mind replayed everything he had been through this past week since first meeting “Korea’s Sweetheart” on Monday.  While the rest of that day had gone by without any major incidents, Daehyun had not been so lucky afterwards.  He walked in Tuesday morning, made his coffee, and when he went to take a drink, found out that his sugar had been replaced with salt.  The unexpected, horrific taste had caused him to spit the liquid out all over his keyboard, freezing it.  The company had not been pleased with having to replace it on only the second day.

              But Daehyun soon learned that that would only be the start.  His schedules had also been replaced, which he learned too late when he took Youngjae to an interview that wasn’t even taking place and received an angry call from the variety show that he was actually supposed to be at.  Naturally Youngjae had feigned innocence and Daehyun had received all of the producer’s wrath.

            He then made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended in his office when he went to the bathroom.  Later, he tried to make a call about an appearance Youngjae was scheduled to make the next week.  But, when he clicked the contact and pressed dial, he was instead sent to a Chinese restaurant.  And so happened with every phone call he tried to make from his contact’s list.  All had been reset to the same restaurant take out number.

              By Thursday his email wouldn’t cease beeping at him from his phone as he received incessant emails throughout the day.  Someone had apparently taken his email address and signed him up for every mailing list under the sun, including many adult themed and “growth enhancement” ones.  He couldn’t go two seconds without his phone beeping or buzzing, to the chagrin of many people trying to hold important conversations with him.

            Though Daehyun was sure that his favorite had been opening his desk drawer on Friday to find a squirrel scurrying around inside.  He had screamed (in a completely manly way if you asked him), and slammed it shut.  He opened the drawer below to find an opossum.  And so on he went until he had opened all of his drawers to find quite the menagerie of rabid wild life inside.

 

          Daehyun alternated between nursing his latte and rubbing his temples as he tried to erase the memories of this past week from his mind.  No matter what, he couldn’t give in.  He needed this job and he knew that if he stayed strong and showed Youngjae who was boss, the boy would eventually give in to him, like an animal that needed to be tamed.  Or so he at least tried to reassure himself.  He needed this job- his career in the entertainment industry would be absolutely obliterated if he quit from here as well.  He was lucky for this chance to get back in and he couldn’t blow it.

           Daehyun pulled out his iPad, intent on getting some work done during his stake out, when someone coming out the front door caught his eye.  He was not at all surprised to see that it was Youngjae, changed into a clubbing outfit with large sunglasses, even in the dark, and cap pulled down low.  Daehyun let out a groan and exited the car as Youngjae tried to stealthy sneak away.

           “Going somewhere?” The 29 year old asked as he stepped out of the car and in front of the younger man.

            Youngjae groaned and rolled his eyes.  “You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Are you serious?  Do you really intend to stake out here all weekend?”

            “If I have to,” Daehyun replied, keeping his tone as even as possible.  He crossed his arms in a more intimidating stance.  “You need to learn your lesson.  You may not like it, but I’m your manager and I’m older than you.  You need to respect me.  Until you can act like an adult, I’ll treat you like a child.  And I am not letting you go out and have fun after everything you’ve done this week.”

           “Why don’t you just come in and keep me under house arrest then, warden?” Youngjae snarked, but Daehyun accepted the challenge.

           “Don’t mind if I do, then,” he retorted, grabbing Youngjae’s arm and dragging him back toward the building.

           Youngjae’s eyes went wide.  He couldn’t believe that his sarcasm had backfired so badly.  In his confusion he let Daehyun get the upper hand in dragging him away before putting up a fight.   “Let me go! I wasn’t serious!  This is breaking and entering!  IT’S KIDNAPPING!” Youngjae screeched, struggling against the grip on his upper arm, but Daehyun held on tightly.  Soon Youngjae found himself shoved into the elevator.  He tried to plant his heels and drag his feet as Daehyun pushed him down the hallway to his door, but it was no good.

           “Open the door,” Daehyun ordered, but Youngjae crossed his arms obstinately. 

           “No, I’m not letting you inside.”

           Daehyun wasted no time in reaching forward and shoving his hand down Youngjae’s pocket.

          “HEY!  What are you doing, you ert?!” Youngjae cried, but soon Daehyun had fished the keys out, unlocked the door himself, and unceremoniously shoved Youngjae inside before locking it behind them.

           “What the hell is wrong with you?” Youngjae barked as he stumbled from the shove and just managed to catch himself from falling.

            “I’m tired of your sass, that’s what.”  Daehyun felt his patience and control start to crack, his voice rising into a borderline shout.  “I am not going to let your little punk walk all over me and get away with it.  I have too much other bull to deal with than putting up with your prissy self.”

              By the end of his tirade, Daehyun’s voice was louder and harsher than Youngjae had ever heard it and it took him by surprise.  He had yet to actually see the elder lose his cool and for once he was intimidated. 

         “So, what?  You don’t have anything better to do than to stalk me on a Saturday night?  No one to go home to?  No friends to meet?” Youngjae asked when he finally managed to find his voice again.  He made his way into his living room and plopped down on the couch.  He didn’t want to the elder in his house but he was smart and knew better than to push it right now.

        “Do you actually care about my personal life?  Or are you just trying to insult me by insinuating that I have no social life?”

          “The second one,” Youngjae replied casually as he stood and made his way  into the kitchen for a drink.  “See, I actually had plans.  I was supposed to be meeting friends.  You know, that thing that normal people do on weekend nights when they finally have time off?  Not hanging around outside celebrities’ houses like some old, creepy stalker.”

        “I’m not old.”  Youngjae had to hold back a laugh at Daehyun’s scrunched, insulted expression.

         “Just keep telling yourself that, grandpa.”

           Daehyun narrowed his eyes towards the kitchen as Youngjae walked back, soda and chips in hand, and flopped down on the far end of the couch.  Youngjae picked up the remote and the TV, mindlessly flipping through channels.

        “I thought you were supposed to be on a diet,” Daehyun motioned toward the junk food, but a piercing glare had him shutting his mouth again.  He sat down on the couch, as far away from Youngjae as he could manage and watched as the younger continued his channel surfing.  He finally stopped clicking when his on interview came on.

          Daehyun watched on in amazement as the boy on the screen giggled cutely, puffy cheeks staining pink as he brought his hands up into his face in embarrassment.  “Noona’s just so pretty, it’s hard to work next to her,” the actor on screen cooed, flashing his costar a dazzlingly smile that had the audience screaming, before turning away and hiding his face in embarrassment once more.  Daehyun scoffed as he watched the audience eating it all up, cooing and giggling and screaming over the sweet, pretty boy.

         “I really don’t get it,” Daehyun finally spoke up.  “How can you be so cute and loveable on stage and so…like this in real life?” Daehyun gestured toward the boy in disgust, but Youngjae paid no mind as he brought his soda can back up to his lips.

       “It’s called acting,” he answered on beat, apparently taking no offence to the elder’s pointed insult.  “It’s my job.  The audiences’ are idiots and will buy anything.  They eat that up like Christmas Dinner.  It’s what pays for this place.”

       Daehyun nodded in understanding before his attention wandered elsewhere.  His eyes roved over the apartment, taking in the gaudy decorations that looked exactly like a twenty year old with too much money had gone overboard.  No surprise there.  But what he didn’t see was any sign of personalization.  There were no pictures, no personal mementos that one usually sees adorning walls.  Nothing.

        “So who were these friends that you were supposed to meet tonight?” Daehyun asked.

        “What?  Are you going to call their parents and set up a meeting or something?” Youngjae scoffed.

          “Just wondering.  I know it’s only been a week but I’ve never heard you refer to any friends.  And honestly, I can’t imagine what type of people would willingly want to spend time with you.”

         Youngjae glowered at the jab, but didn’t immediately retort, though Daehyun could tell he rubbed against something by the change in the younger’s demeanor.

         “What about family?  Do they live nearby?  You don’t spend your free time going to see them?”

          “Drop it,” Youngjae growled, turning his gaze back to the TV.

          “But seriously, what kind of son doesn’t even have a picture of his mom somewhere in his house?”

            “I SAID DROP IT!” Youngjae shouted.  Daehyun flinched back against the couch as the chips and soda went flying.  “IT’S NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN     BUSINESS WHO I SEE OR WHAT I DO IN MY FREE TIME.  And my family life is of no concern to you,” he ended on a growl.

          “Youngjae, I-“

         “Get the hell out of my apartment.”  Daehyun couldn’t manage another word in as Youngjae stood up and stormed off to his bedroom, the door slamming closed with a bang behind him.

            “What the hell was that?” Daehyun mused to himself.  He knew the younger was volatile, but the seemingly random outburst still surprised.  “Whatever,” he grumbled, standing up and exiting the apartment. “I have better things to worry about.”

 

------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

And there's chapter 1!  What do you guys think?  I have mixed feelings but I hope you guys like it well enough :3

Also, to everyone going to see BAP, lemme know how it goes in the comments below! I'm so excited to hear everyone's accounts since my concert isn't until the 25th.

Thanks for reading <3 Dani