Prologue

Occupational Hazards

 

             “So I heard from Kang that you were looking for a job?”

            “Yes, sir,” Daehyun did his best to keep his voice stable.

            “I talked to him about your credentials.”  The interviewer looked back down at the file lying open in front of him.  “It says here that you worked at Matoki Entertainment for five years.  Three years were spent as an assistant manager to Ca$$i and then you were promoted to head manager of 360 at their debut?”  Even though all the information was clearly laid out in front of him, the interviewer turned to the young brunette for confirmation. 

            “That’s right.”

            “Kang also credited your managing skills for the incredible success that 360 saw.  It’s not often that an underage rapping, dancing duo goes on to win over ten awards less than a year after their debut.  They managed to pick a fair many up their second year as well, right?  That must have been some great work on your part.  And you’re only 29?  Impressive.”

            Daehyun nodded his thanks but then wiped his sweaty palms on his dark trousers.  Though he was being deluged with praise, he knew exactly where this was turning.  It was the same way it turned in every interview right before he was thanked for his time and never called back.

            “So, I have to ask, after all this success in such a short amount of time, what made you leave Matoki Entertainment?  They refused to elaborate on anything other than ‘personal differences’, but there must have been a good reason for you to give up such a promising career.”

            Daehyun took a deep breath to steady his voice as he answered.  “As they said, there were insurmountable personal differences.  I’m afraid that I can’t elaborate anymore than that.”

            The interviewer sighed, clearly disappointed with the answer.

            “You’ll understand why this is a cause for concern for us.  We’re interviewing for the manager for our toughest star.  You’ll have to deal with ‘personal differences’ every day.  That’s why we’ve never had a manager stay for longer than six months.”

            Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

            “This is for Yoo Youngjae, right?”  While he was never the type to watch TV- he never had the time with his job- the actor was wildly popular, so even Daehyun was vaguely familiar with him.  He was younger- about 24- and always smiling a rosy, chubby cheeked smile that drove the audiences mad.  He was also famous for his cute giggle and adorable boy-next-door image. He was Korea’s sweetheart.  It couldn’t be the same person they were talking about now.

            “That’s right, Yoo Youngjae.  I’m guessing you’ve never met him off set.  Well, we don’t normally warn people right off about him, but I’m personally very tired of searching for and interviewing managers just to have them running off with their tail in between their legs weeks later.  So, I’m going to be upfront with you.  This is a horrible job.  You are going to be stressed out all the time, and there will be no rest from it.  Youngjae is continuously busy and you will need to be with him almost 24/7, and he will not make it easy for you.  But in return, we will compensate you decently.  I can give you a 15% increase from your last salary.”

            Daehyun’s eyes widened at this news.  He was actually expecting to take in less, but considering that his bank and savings account were basically zero from living unemployed for several months, the news was most welcome.

            “I’m not going to lie- your departure from Matoki Entertainment is a cause for concern, not to mention that you’re coming from a music background to the acting industry, but I’ve been assured by Kang that you’re the best, and that is what we need.  So what do you say?  Are you desperate enough to sign away your soul?”

            Daehyun paused for a moment.  It couldn’t really be that bad, could it?  His past talents had had their moments and weren’t always the easiest to work with.  He was certain he could deal with this as well.

            “I’d be happy to,” Daehyun answered and picked up his pen to sign the contract in front of him.

            “Welcome to B.A.P. Entertainment, Mr. Jung.  Let’s hope you’re still here by the end of the week.”

 

----------------------------------------

Author's note:

Hey guys!  Sorry this is so short.  I'm still on vaca, but wanted to give you guys a little taste.  I hope you like it!  Chapter 1 should be out in less than two days.

Though I can't promise as quick of updates as "A Prince and His Knight" since work is back to full blast and I can't spend all day writing there anymore.  I'm hoping to be able to stick to about once or twice a week updates.

Love, Dani.