Lightning and Thunder

Begin Again

 

“Here you are, Seoul’s toll gate is ahead. Cross it and you’ll enter Seoul but the city is still 35 minutes away” Ahjussi told me as he stopped the taxi.

“Ah thank you Ahjussi.” I said as I got out of the taxi with my suitcase.
With a sharp crack a bolt of brilliant white lightning forked across the sky followed by thunder.
 
“You know if I was you, I wouldn’t want to cross that toll gate.” He said with a worried face.

“Huh but why? Is there something wrong with the road?” I asked him.

“Listen, little lady, I don’t mean to scare you but no one dares to cross that road during the night.
They say that whoever crosses that road at night vanishes into thin air or is beaten up the Seoul Nightlife Community.” He said, almost in a whisper.

“Nice try Ahjussi, but I don’t believe in hauntings. And I do know some self-defence anyway so I’ll manage” I told him with a smile. “Goodbye Ahjussi, Hope to meet you again soon.”

“May God keep you safe” He said as he turned the taxi around and left.

Now that was some weird guy. I’m not as fragile as I look.

Suddenly the wind rose, it almost sent me sweeping off my feet.

It’s definitely going to rain. I better hurry.

I walked briskly through the dark lane, the only lights which were there were the old street lights.
Some were still working, some were not.
I reached the toll gate and looked around if I could see anybody.

Now that’s strange, this must be one of the most used lanes in Seoul so then why isn’t anyone here?

“Oh well, guess I don’t have to pay for crossing” I said as I sneaked to the other side of the gate.

As I was about to step foot on the road, I remembered what the Ahjussi had told me but chose to ignore it.
The minute my foot landed on the pavement, Lightning struck a nearby tree, turning it into ashes.
My mouth fell open in fright.

What if the ahjussi was right? What if I’m going to die today? No no no  Taeyeon Stop thinking rubbish.

Rain started pouring out of the sky. I wished I had brought my umbrella with me.
I kept on walking with my head lowered down. My hair was all wet and was sticking onto my face.
I could’ve sworn I was looking like Samara from ‘The Ring’.

Aish! Why am I so unlucky?
 

Suddenly, I noticed light flashing behind me. I turned around to see where it came from, but it blinded my vision. Then I realised it wasn’t just any light, they were  headlights.



.