ONE

Like A Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One

 

In the beginning a prank was played.

In the end I realized I was given a gift fragile as it was precious.

A love that would last a lifetime.

The journey to Kangwondo was several hours from Seoul and I had to wake up at 2am just to be here early. The house was easy to find which made me less grumpy and less mad at my father for forcing this thing on me. I should be resting. After all I deserve a good rest after finishing my college degree, I thought as I walked closer to my destination. The winter chill was still in the air but I can tell that spring was fast approaching. The ocean was no longer frozen. The sun slowly rose making the clear turquoise sea sparkle like a thousand small diamonds. The scenery behind me was breath taking but I was too annoyed to even pause and appreciate its beauty. Who wouldn't be? When my supposed to be loving father forced my eyes open in the middle of the night. Commanding me to leave at once without even bothering to fully explain the situation nor ask for my permission.

My dad, I sighed as I tried to calm down, will always try to make me do things I don't like. Last summer he practically bullied me into helping my aunt run her restaurant. And now this.

I stood still in front of a small white beach house with my hands in my pocket. I blinked my eyes several times to chase away my drowsiness. I adjusted my backpack and took a deep breath to calm my nerves before finally knocking on the front door. A minute or two passed before the door opened with a soft creak. A girl with long brown hair stood in front of me. A bright smile on her face.

“Are you the new milkman?” She asked while wrapping her thick winter jacket closer as if the cold was still too much for her. “Well? Where is my milk Ahjussi?”

I blinked, hesitating for a moment before answering. “I'm not here to deliver milk.” Surely Mr. Park informed her of the new arrangement?

She squinted her eyes, her smile wavering for a second. “I'm sorry.” She bowed. “I'm Dara, how can I help you?” I gulped but before I could open my mouth to speak she gasped. Her smile disappeared. “Omo, are you lost? I can help you. I will help you.” She declared, closing the door behind her while looking at me like I'm some kind of a lost puppy.

“Mr. Park sent me.” I said before she could come up with another absurd idea.

“Is he sick?” She asked, worried. “What happened?”

“No.” I shook my head. “He is safe and healthy.”

She nodded, her smile reappearing. “That's good.”

“I'm here to babysit his daughter. Is she still sleeping?” For a nanny, she sure is doing a bad job. Talking to complete strangers, a stranger who is a feet taller than her, with a bright calm expression as if she does this all the time. What if someone with bad intention comes? I thought finally understanding Mr. Park's request for a replacement. This nanny is doing a terrible job.

Then she laughed a long pealing laughter that made my insides flutter. Butterflies. After 20 years I finally felt how it feels to have butterflies flutter inside my stomach. I ignored the feeling and controlled my expression before speaking. “Why are you laughing?” I frowned, sneaking a quick glance at the house number. 26, I'm in the right house. But to my utter annoyance her laughter only grew louder. I scowled at her, laughing at my face while I lack sleep is definitely not the wisest move. “What is so funny?”

“I am his daughter.” She announced as she struggled to keep a straight face. That determination instantly crumbled the moment my jaw dropped. “Don't look too shocked. I am Dara Park, Sandara Park. The only daughter of Park Im Jung.”

My frown grew deeper with her revelation. Have I heard wrong? But my dad clearly asked me to do this as a favor for his best friend. Are they toying with me? I was cajoled by two supposed to be mature adults. I thought suddenly mad and humiliated. What am I doing here then?

She cleared . “You are?”

“Kim Jae Joong.” I answered bowing slightly, unable to hide my irritation.

Beautiful. Kind. Strange.

Those were the words that perfectly described the girl who was looking at me as if I just announced the early arrival of Christmas. Her intense gaze made me shift uncomfortably on my feet. “Your dad who happens to be my dad's best friend called last night and asked for a favor.” I explained suddenly finding the sand interesting as I locked my eyes on the ground. I'm not usually a shy person but who wouldn't be embarrassed with what I just have said and don

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter