Tours and Apartments

Heartbeats and Banters

Only 2 weeks left until the start of the semester and things were getting really hectic. Today onwards was especially hectic because it was the start of enrolment for the students. At least after this week Maki would know who her students were going to be.

“I hope we get some great talent this year!” Yuya said excitedly.

Takahisa nodded his head as he grabbed a french fry and stuffed it happily into his mouth. He smiled at Yuya and Maki before drinking from his watermelon shake. Maki shook her head but couldn’t help but smile at that. Aside from Meisa, Erika, yes, Jin and Kazuya plus Tomohisa, the people she missed the most were Yuya and Takahisa. They were like brothers to her. Little brothers in fact but they were older than her. She just liked being with them, even so when Yuya and Takahisa got into their little arguments; like the one now.

“Takahisa! You’re dripping ketchup on the table…”

“Just wipe it out then…”

“Sloppy sloppy!” Yuya muttered as he grabbed a tissue from the holder at his side then started wiping the red sauce on the space between him and Takahisa.

When all was well again, Takahisa turned to Maki. “Jaa, Maki-chan, how’s the song you’re composing with Tomohisa?”

“Oh it’s going great!” Maki replied. She wiped her hands on a greasy napkin. “We’re adding more instruments to the song. But I admit Tomohisa is better when it comes to things like that.” Yes, she was adamant that Tomohisa was better with thinking of different instrumentations to a song even though she didn’t want to. That just added a point to his invisible score board between the two of them.

Apparently Yuya wasn’t listening to what she said. “You can’t be like Maki-chan!” He told Takahisa. “Look, she’s so prim when she’s eating. It was true, there was not a single mess in Maki’s space on the lunch table.

“Give Takahisa a break, Yuya.” Maki patted the latter’s arm. “We all know you would be lost without him anyways.”

Both Maki and Takahisa thought that they were going to have to argue with Yuya but the man just shrugged his shoulder and ultimately agreed with Maki. Then he smiled at her as if saying thanks.

“Maki there you are!”

They turned their heads and saw that Meisa was approaching.

Maki turned to the two men. “Sorry guys, best friend calls.”

“Go ahead!” Yuya said while Takahisa waved in goodbye.

Maki approached Meisa who from a distance, waved to Yuya and Takahisa. Then Meisa turned to her best friend and sighed. “Yuichi asked me to tell you that you’d be touring the new enrolees!”

“Really? He failed to mention that.” Maki whispered to herself. Not that she wasn’t prepared; she was actually very good when it came to speaking to people. She agreed with herself that she was a pretty damn good party host.

“Anyways, tours start at the lobby right?”

“Hai!”

From the cafeteria, Maki and Meisa made their way until they reached the front where most of the already enrolled students, some old, some new, were waiting for the tour to begin. There were about thirty new students.

“We’ll group into three.” Meisa told her. She smiled as they approached and that’s where Maki noticed that Jin, Keiko, Ryo and Tomohisa were there too.

“So how will we divide the tour guides?” Meisa asked.

It was a definite guarantee that Jin and Meisa would be partnering this one up. Maki looked at the other three. Tomohisa had a blank expression on his face, just waiting for what was to be decided. Maki saw that Keiko and Ryo were looking at her. What, was she supposed to decide? Ryo turned to her and cleared his throat. “Anou, you’re good with speaking to people right? Is it okay if we partner up then?”

Well that would be alright, besides Maki knew that Ryo wasn’t the best of speakers so he would need her help. She turned to Keiko to confirm if this was alright. With the bright smile on the latter’s pretty face, Maki was sure it would be alright.

“Sure.” Then she turned to Jin and Meisa. “Jaa, I’ll partner up with Ryo so Keiko and Tomohisa will partner up.”

“N-not a bad idea.” Meisa hesitated slightly. Why was that so, Maki wondered.

Meisa faced them all, asking if it was alright.

Maki, Ryo and Keiko had all nodded their heads.

Tomohisa was still silent. He faced Maki for a while, looking at her. Maki returned the look. “What?”

“Ah, iie, nandemonai. Let’s start with the tour then.” He faced Keiko, offering her a smile which she returned.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

As it turned out, Tomohisa and Keiko’s group consisted mostly of violin and guitar majors, right on the jackpot. Being the girl, Keiko was almost always the one talking but Tomohisa knew that he himself had charm.

“Ohayou gozaimasu everyone!” Keiko greeted the students as she stood in-front. “Kitagawa Keiko desu! Are there any violin majors here?”

A few students, though shy, raised their hands. Keiko smiled back at them, giving a comforting air. “Well, we’ll be seeing each other mostly since I’ll be one of your major instructors.”

Murmurs of delight spread quietly. No doubt that Keiko would seem like a favourite. It was Tomohisa’s time to speak up. “As for those guitar majors, we’ll see each other often too.” He said. “Yamaa Tomohisa desu.”

“Jaa, now we’re bringing you to the studios!” Keiko announced.

Tomohisa nodded his head. He towered over most people, especially since the students were still kids.

“Has everyone already recorded songs and such?” Tomohisa asked, smiling softly at the kids.

Most of the girls blushed. Hey, he can’t help it if he’s a good-looking guy but he doesn’t push it. He waited for their answer and all nodded their heads.

“Well we have special treat for you.” Keiko smiled at them. She opened the door to their largest studio which was studio 6.

All of the new students mouth opened agape. Yes, the studio was a large feat and would be something to be drooled at by the music students.

“Studio 6 is our largest studio, but there are many other studios to choose from.” Tomohisa informed them as he stood beside a smiling Keiko. A hand shot up from the air. Tomohisa nodded his head at the student. “Hai?”

“Anou sensei, when the semester starts, are we free to use the studio anytime we want?”

“Of course. Just acquire a key from the lobby and you’re free to go.” Tomohisa replied.

The student too nodded his head, still looking blank. Tomohisa got a good look of this student. A young man. He was not that much in height but he had this air that pulled attention. This was obvious for Tomohisa since he realized that some of the female students kept looking at him.

“May I ask what your name is?” Tomohisa asked the student.

“Yamada Ryosuke desu.” The young man answered.

Tomohisa kept looking at him and student looked back as if challenging. “May I ask what your major is?”

“Guitar sir.”

Another hand shot up, this time from a young woman. “Anou, Yamaa-sensei?”

“Hai?” Tomohisa directed himself to the girl.

“Even without supervision sir? Can we use the studios?”

“Yes yes you do.” Tomohsia smiled. “Be informed that there are camera’s everywhere though.” He chuckled at the silly smiles the students gave each other. He smiled again then turned to Keiko who he realized was staring at him. His eyebrows shot up for a moment before he nodded his head at her and returned a small smile.

Keiko blushed a deep red. She turned to the students, asking if anyone wanted to try using the studios just to avoid looking at Tomohisa again. At this the latter chuckled quietly to himself. She looked cute when she did that. While Keiko was busy looking at the students, he busied himself and looked at her. Maki was right. What was stopping him from asking this girl out? He didn’t have a girlfriend or anything like that. Plus, he himself never really had girlfriends. So… he had to ask himself; what was stopping him?

“Yamaa-sensei and I will be assisting you then!”

Tomohisa snapped out from his thoughts when he realized that the boy named Yamada volunteered to try the studio out. Keiko turned to him and nodded her head as they led Yamada inside the sound booth while the other touring students looked on. Well this was a surprise. Tomohisa didn’t realize that they really would be giving the students a chance to record.

“Jaa, okay then!” Tomohisa clapped his hands together and he and Keiko led Ryosuke inside.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tours were finished for the day, Maki, Ryo, Erika and Kazuya were taking their snack at the cafeteria.

“Ne, so how was touring?” Kazuya asked. He and Erika didn’t get a chance to do so since they were helping with the on-going enrolment.

Maki laughed softly then smiled teasingly at Ryo. “It was ok. But Ryo here is a blubbering mess as a host.”

“I can’t speak like that in-front of people.” Ryo grumbled, reasoning out.

Maki laughed again. “How can you teach the students then?”

“It’s different!”

Erika and Kazuya laughed at the two. Just then, Erika stood up, and pulled Maki with her. “Ikou Maki-chan, I need to go to the bathroom.

They walked away, hearing Ryo say; “Why do girls always go to the bathroom in groups?”

Maki rolled her eyes just as she and Erika entered the bathroom at the end of the cafeteria.

“Ne, so, getting close with Ryo ne?” Erika while fixing her hair in-front of the bathroom mirror.

And again, Maki rolled her eyes, this was getting kind of a habit for her. “Come on Erika, first Tomohisa now Ryo?”

“What? I’m not saying anything like that!”

“Oh but you are!” Maki teased, she smiled knowingly at her friend who kept trying to look innocent.

Erika turned to her and sighed haplessly. “Alright alright. I admit that you look cute together.”

“What is it with matchmaking me Eri?” Maki chuckled, leaning a hand on the sink.

“I don’t know, I ship Maki and the universe!” Erika giggled. She went over to hug her friend. “Just don’t take Kazuya…”

With a small smile Maki, pulled away from the hug but keeping Erika, hands in hers. “Oh come on Eri, how can I steal Kazuya away from you when he’s too busy falling for you?”

“Well I am irresistible.”

“Damn right you are.”

They laughed together then exited the bathroom. When they returned to their table, it was to realize that Tomohisa had joined their little group.

“Oh hi Tomo! How was the tour?” Erika asked. She sat down beside Kazuya while Maki next to Tomohisa.

The latter shrugged. “It was alright, I think we’ll be having some good students this year.”

For the remainder of the whole day, the instructors helped with the other employees of the school to welcome the school year. Maki reminded herself that she and Tomohisa still needed to finish the song. When the sun was ready to set and people were already leaving, Tomohisa approached her, pulling her by the arm to the side.

“Itai!” She muttered and glared at him as he had her back to the wall.

“When are we continuing with the song?” He asked her, voice low.

“Naturally, after work!” Maki hissed. He had a killer grip.

“I don’t want to stay in school at night!” Tomohisa reasoned out.

Maki smiled smarmily at him. “Why? Afraid of ghosts?”

Tomohisa turned to the side scoffing as he faced her again. “Me? Ghosts? Not a chance Maki-chan, but I am not comfortable with going home late at night so robbers have a chance to steal from me.”

He had a point. Maki crossed her arms. “Isn’t Japan a safe place?”

“Never too careful Maki-chan.”

Maki had to give up at that. But where will they record the song? She wanted this to get over with. They can’t record the song somewhere else since the school didn’t expect them to waste budget. “Then where we’ll we record? Somewhere else?”

“I forgot you haven’t been inside my apartment.” Tomohisa sneered.

Maki raised an eyebrow at him but h shook his head and told her he’d be waiting for her at the lobby. She didn’t want to say anything else and so grab her things from the faculty room, said goodbye to her friends who decided to stick around at Kumai’s. Too bad she had something she needed to finish.

When she got to the lobby entrance, it was to see Keiko and Tomohisa talking to each other. Ouch, what was that? Something clenched in her chest. Maybe it was just fatigue. With a small smile, she headed their way as so Tomohisa noticed that she was arriving. At the same moment Yuya and Takahisa were exiting the gates.

“Hello Keiko.” Maki smiled, holding unto the strap of her bag.

“Hi there Maki.” Keiko smiled back. “Going home?”

“Ah hai, you?” Maki answered as she fixed the contents of her bag, looking for her phone.

“We’re going home too!” Yuya proclaimed while Takahisa stood there nodding his head.

“Yep…” Keiko answered before turning to Tomohisa. “You want to head out for a bite?”

Maki could see that Tomohisa stiffened and had to bite the inside of his cheek. The man sighed and scratched the back of his head. “Sorry Keiko, but Maki and I are heading back to my apartment.”

“Tomo’s apartment? Are you two together now?” Yuya asked.

If Maki could melt right then and there, she would. What the heck was Tomohisa doing by saying those things?! Now Yuya and Takahisa… and probably Keiko were thinking of some very inappropriate scenes. “A-anou Keiko…” She started but Keiko only smiled, uneasily for that matter.

Takahisa nudged Yuya’s arm. He sensed the awkwardness. “W-we’ll go on ahead!” He smiled nervously before pulling his best friend away.

“It’s alright, I’ll see you two tomorrow then.” Keiko answered suddenly to Maki’s unfinished sentence. She shifted in her shoes then moved away, walking briskly, following behind Yuya and Takahisa who were visibly arguing.

Maki’s mouth opened agape. She couldn’t say anything. She turned to Tomohisa and saw that he had the same expression on his face. “You are an idiot.” She muttered before moving away. Keiko was nowhere in sight.

“ME? What did I do?” Tomohisa asked once he caught up with her.

Maki gritted her teeth. “Didn’t you hear what you just said?!”

“About what? Us going back to my apartment?”

“Exactly!”

“Well what’s wrong with that?” Tomohisa uttered.

Maki couldn’t believe this. Surely he wasn’t innocent when it came to those things? Then again, they weren’t doing anything wrong. They were just two co-workers, going back to one’s apartment to record a song. Plus they had neighbouring apartments so what was wrong with that?

“You’re right.” Maki breathed in. “I’m sorry I freaked.”

She said no more as they made their way to the train station. She was unusually quiet and that was ticking Tomohisa off but he decided not to push her buttons for tonight.

The whole ride and walk back to their apartment building was silent. So was the elevator ride.

Tomohisa opened the door to his apartment, allowing Maki inside. The moment Maki stepped in, Maki had to grimace when she saw his living room. It was a mess! Dvd stacks were everywhere and people had to be careful not to step on his Playstation.

“What is this a pigsty?” She remarked, settling herself on the sofa.

She was waiting for a comeback form the man but all she saw was Tomohisa smiling at her. “What?”

Tomohisa chuckled. “Nothing. I’m just glad you’re back.” He headed for the direction of the kitchen, leaving Maki chuckling to herself. When he came back, he was ready with 2 bottles of juice, one for him and one for her.

“Arigato.” Maki said.

Tomohisa gestured for her to stand up then brought her further into the apartment.

Maki gaped when he saw one room. “You have your own studio…” She uttered. It was perfect! Tomohisa had everything inside that room. A keyboard, multiple guitar, a drum set and a microphone. Of course he didn’t have a soundboard but he did have a laptop for editing.

Only thing left for the song was the singer and Maki was not going to sing. She admitted she didn’t have too much talent for that.

“No no…”

“Oh come on…”

“When I sing, it rains.” Maki reasoned out.

Tomohisa laughed. “No it won’t plus, I’ll sing with you so no matter.”

For the fun of it, they did a trial version with Maki singing with Tomohisa.

Here’s to a fresh start

Walking this road to tomorrow, let’s fly!

No looking back, reach for it jump! Run!

Knowing what it is we really want, let’s soar!

Maki was actually having fun as she sang. At least Tomohisa wasn’t laughing at her. They finished the song with a last guitar strum and Tomohisa ending it with a solo part from him.

Maki liked this side of him. He was smiling freely which he rarely did and it was obvious that he was having fun. Finally finishing, the music ended and when Maki turned, she saw Tomohisa looking at her. He wasn’t smiling like before. But it was like, he was observing her. Maybe it was just her but it was like he was trying to see through her.

Tomohisa was in a trance. He knew it. He was in a trance. Standing there, he didn’t realize he was already staring at Maki. It’s just that, the way she looked as she enjoyed singing; it was beautiful. Did she know how beautiful she looked? Her hair fell, landing on her collar bone which was very visible from the top she was wearing.

“Tomo?”

That snapped him from his reverie. “What?”

“Why were you staring at me?” Maki asked. “Is there something wrong with my face?”

Tomohisa smiled softly at her. “No… you don’t have anything wrong with your face. Not at all.”

So that was it, they were finished. All that was left was for Tomohisa to burn the track into a CD.

“Jaa, I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Maki grabbed her things and her jacket, exiting the studio room.

Being the gentleman that he was, even if he did annoy Maki, he wasn’t rude and so walked her back even though it was a step away from his.

“Take care, you might catch traffic.” Tomohisa joked as he watched from his door while Maki entered her apartment.   

“Good night Tomo…” Maki said.

He nodded his head at her. “Goodnight Maki.”       

================================================================================================

AN: Hello! The song Maki and Tomohisa sung was composed by me haha. I play guitar and piano too so songwriting is a hobby of min aside from stroy writing. Thanks for reading and please comment! :D

@rengganis - haha! Jin is a Bakanishi! ooh I like your reading skills with my words! we'll find more about that in the latr chapters! XD Thanks again for reading! :D I love your support, you're one of my favorite commenters.

@jumpyamajima - I had fun writing that scene with Jin :p see? I'm glad to see someone agrees with me with Keiko :D haha! yeah no matter how I see them though, Yamaki has a place in my heart and I don't know why <3 thank you again!