I Choose You

Heartbeats and Banters

Tomohisa stayed put on his seat in the faculty. Maki wasn’t back from her last class of the day yet. He decided to relax and leaned back on his chair when footsteps echoed and awoke him.

“Kazu?”

“I’m bored man, let’s eat.”

Before Tomohisa could say anything, Kazuya had already pulled him up from the chair and was pushing him out of the faculty room.

“Nande? Chotto—I--”

“What, are you waiting for someone?” Kazuya asked in challenge.

Tomohisa would’ve answered, yes, since he really was waiting for Maki but he’d rather tell that news when they had that meeting for the acquaintance party later. “Ah iie, but we have that meeting right?” Nice save.

“Oh yeah, good thing you remembered.” Kazuya said smilingly. “Erika would’ve killed me if I forgot. Why don’t we just head on to the cafeteria then?”

It wasn’t that much of a walk when you talked with your best friend. Before they knw it, they were stepping into the white tiled floors of the cafeteria. It was almost dismissal and yet a lot of students were still there, probably up for some energy snacks.

The two handsome instructors chose to sit by a table next to a window. Since Kazuya was the hungry one, he bought their food and Tomohisa waited patiently. The latter roamed his eyes around the room, seeing different types of students. When he was studying, he didn’t have a care in the world. He was more of the cool type if he could say so himself.

“Tomo?”

Turning at the voice, he saw Keiko’s smiling face with a tray of chips and juice with her.

“Oh, hey Keiko.” He said. He moved a little so that the violin instructor could sit down next to him. Keiko did as so, still with that huge smile on her beautiful face.

“I didn’t see you last Friday, Jin and Kazuya said you were sick?” Keiko asked worriedly.

Tomohisa chuckled. He actually had good memories of that weekend. He stopped smiling when he realized Keiko was looking at him in a rather weirded out expression. Clearing his throat, he straightened out in his chair. “Yeah, but I’m all good, I had some tender loving care.” He smirked.

Keiko looked at him. “Really? From who?”

“Hey Tomo, I know you want the Cheetos.” Kazuya suddenly arrived, tossing the bag of Cheetos to Tomohisa who caught it easily. “Oh hey Keiko.” He said when he noticed the woman.

Keiko waved as Kazuya took a seat in-front of Tomohisa.

“Ne, Erika texted me, she said we’re going to meet them later at the studios for the meeting about the acquaintance party.” The dance instructor said.

“Ah sou  a.” Tomohisa nodded his head as he dug in to the bag of goodies. Keiko chose this moment to continue with the conversation she and Tomohisa were having just a while ago. “Na, so who took care of you last Friday?” she asked.

This time Kazuya also joined the conversation, leaning on the table, interested with the outcome. “Yeah Tomo, Erika and I were talking about that. Wasn’t Maki absent that day too?”

Tomohisa almost choked on his chips. Was this the moment of truth? Was he supposed to tell them? What if Maki killed him for telling them without her consent?! Keep calm Tomo. He didn’t need to tell them everything did he? “Ah, yeah. Maki found out I was sick the night before so she took care of me the whole day.”

Kazuya started chuckling at that. “Well isn’t that sweet.”

Keiko on the other hand, stayed quiet, keeping her thoughts to herself. She just nodded her head and continued with eating. “Sou ka…”

This didn’t go by unnoticed by Tomohisa. He wasn’t that dense as some would put it. He knew Keiko liked him and he liked her too, but just as a friend. He had to get out of there. Standing up, he wiped his hands clean on a paper napkin and faced his two friends. “Gomen, I have to check up on something.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

When class finished, Maki proceeded to the studios. She’d rather stay there and wait for the meeting to start rather than tire herself by going back to the faculty then going back to the studio. She wasn’t up for exercise once she’d had a full day behind her. The piano was right there in-front of her again. There was this magnetic pull whenever she saw the majestic instrument. With a small smile on her face she started playing a song. It wasn’t a full song. It was only a melody but that was what’s wonderful about music. It could always be your own.

She was getting into the music in such an intense way that she didn’t hear the door opening and closing behind her. When she did finish, a sound of someone clearing their throat caused her to jump in surprise and face the person.

“Always so intense when piano playing.” Tomohisa smirked. He had his arms crossed in-front of him and it only made his muscles bulk up more. Damn him.

“Ever learn how to knock Tomo?” Maki teased. She stood up from the piano and stretched out her limbs before sitting on the couch.

The smirk was still evident on Tomohisa’s face as he randomly pressed keys on the piano, still standing up. When he was satisfied, he joined Maki and sat beside her own the couch, comfortably wrapping one arm around her. It was fascinating how they fell into a routine. As if they’ve been doing this for a long time. Probably because they were friends (and occasional banter-mates) before they became together.

“Are you alright?” Maki as she leaned on Tomohisa’s chest and looked up. Tomohisa shook his head and smiled before kissing the top of Maki’s head. “I am, don’t worry….”

Maki fell back into peace, loving the feel of Tomohisa’s chest. If they kept this up she’d fall asleep on him. Her eyes were about to close when the rumble of Tomohisa’s deep voice woke her up.

“Maki…?”

“Hmm?” Maki straightened up.

Tomohisa looked to the floor, gathering his thoughts before looking at Maki. “When are we going to tell everyone about us?”

“Why not start now?”

The two whipped their heads at the voice only to see Kazuya by the open door.

The couple looked at each other. Couldn’t they reveal things in a normal way? Kazuya closed the door behind him and smirked at his two friends.

“I wouldn’t have suspected a thing if it weren’t for this dreamy look Tomohisa had when he was talking about you.” He said, directing the sentence to Maki who laughed as she looked at Tomohisa.

“What.” Tomohisa shrugged. “You took care of me well.”

Kazuya laughed as he leaned on the piano. “And I thought Jin and Meisa were cheesy.”

“Hey Kamenashi-san.” Maki challenged. “Do I have to remind you that you and Eri are the cheesiest couple around here?”

Tomohisa burst out laughing at the hapless expression Kazuya had. Maki was right after all.

“Touche.” Kazuya scowled. He looked at them and smirked. “Honestly I wouldn’t want to know how it all happened but omedetou.”

Maki smiled at their friend, actually blushing as she nodded her thanks. The doors again opened and in came Erika with Meisa, Keiko and Aki in tow.

“Oh gosh, finally we can start with the meeting!” Erika declared but she stopped midway in breath when she saw how comfortable Maki and Tomohisa looked while lying down on the sofa. She scrunched her eyes at them.

“Before you say anything.” Tomohisa began. He turned to Maki and waited after she nodded her head in approval and continued his sentence. “Maki and I are dating.”

The suspense was killing everyone. Kazuya and Meisa looked on. Keiko stayed quiet turning to the side while Aki stayed smiling. Erika on the other hand, moved forward and started clapping dramatically. “Finally!”

Once all the drama was pushed aside, they proceeded to their agenda. Maki however noticed Keiko growing quiet but when she turned to the woman she just saw her just giving a small reassuring smile. She smiled back, feeling lighter.

The meeting actually went by fast. Maki was still worried about Keiko and the woman had already headed on home before she could talk to her.

Tomohisa noticed this when the two of them were heading on home.

“Why is my girlfriend looking all sad I wonder?” Tomohisa mocked as they walked.

Maki chuckled as he looked at him. She liked the sound of that. Hmm, girlfriend huh?

“It’s nothing Tomo.”

But it wasn’t nothing; Tomohisa could tell. “You can tell me anything Maki-chan, come on.”

By this time they were sitting on the train. It was a long ride so Maki decided to get it on over with. “I was thinking about Keiko….” She said hesitantly. But when she saw Tomohisa urging her to continue, she did. “It’s just, I mean, she likes you too right? And I know it’s hard for her to see us together.”

After that Tomohisa looked intently at her then finally spoke up. “You know Maki-chan, it may be that way. And, Keiko’s my friend too but… you’re the one I like.” He smiled.

Maki could tell it was hard for him to be expressing these things. He rarely spoke. So she spoke for both of them. “People may be surprised when they find out that we’re together.” She said. “But I’m ready to tell the world that we figured it out, that we finally got it all right… because I choose you.” And in the silent and nearly empty train, she kissed him, placing her hands on his cheek.  

=====================================================================================================================

AN: Another chapter yay! Credits to the wonderful song by Sara Bareilles, "I Choose You"

It got me into the Yamaki feels ohohoho! I will finally reveal what's with Ryosuke and Maki in the next chapter! so stay tuned! please comment and thank you for reading! mwah!