Kumai's

Heartbeats and Banters

Maki took the liberty of heading off by herself in the university while her friends chatted. It’s not that she did not want to be with them. But there was one room she wished to spend some time alone in. The dusty wooden piano was still in that same room. A beautiful smile crawled up, warming her expression before she padded over to the same equally dusted stool.

She missed this. Her first year in that academy, she would suddenly disappear from everyone’s view and seek solace in that small room with that piano.

“I see you haven’t changed Maki-chan.”

The voice surprised her that she literally felt her heart almost beat out of her chest.

“Yuya!” Maki laughed. She stood up from the stool to go and hug the man by the doorway. Yuya hugged back, flashing that cute smile of his. If people didn’t know any better they’d say Yuya and Maki were siblings since they looked like each other.

“Why weren’t you there this morning?” Maki questioned once the hug ended.

Yuya smiled sheepishly. “I was late again…”

“I thought Tomohisa was always late; you’re worse.”

They both laughed at that until Yuya approached the piano, leading Maki along. “Play Sayonara ni sayonara for me onegai.”

Maki loved that song, composed by Yuya and his best friend Takahisa themselves. She had no hesitation and sat by the piano, bringing the song to life with her fingers as Yuya sang.

 Kimi to boku ga kore kara zutto

Kuchi ni shinai kotoba ga aru

Sore ga nani ka wakaru darou

Sayonara ni sayonara

It was such a beautiful song and Maki enjoyed putting her own spin to it with the piano. They didn’t finish the whole song, but had a mutual understanding when to stop. Smiling, Yuya turned to Maki. “It’s going to be great working with you again Maki-chan.”

There was a small knock at the door. “Hai?” Yuya called out.

It opened, showing Takahisa, Yuya’s partner and Keiko, as Maki remembered. “Oh there you guys are!” Takahisa exclaimed. He was always such a happy fellow. He lunged forward and hugged Maki in welcome which the latter returned back, enjoying the comfort of the sweet man. Oh yes, being back was good.

Usually first day of reporting was nothing to them. Tomorrow Maki was sure that she’d be fixing the schedules together with her co-workers. It turns out her cubicle mate was Tomohisa.

“Hey, Jin and the others asked me if you wanted to come with us for a drink?” He asked her while they fixed their things, ready to go for the day.

Maki smirked playfully at the man. “Jin? Aren’t you interested too Tomo?”

“Oh shucks you know I love you to bits too Maki.” Tomohisa answered back mockingly.

Maki rolled her eyes, she missed teasing Tomohisa, swinging her bag around but answered. “So where are we going?”

“Kumai’s…”

Ah of course. It was that old bar a few houses down. They frequented that place of course. “Jaa ikou…”

Tomohisa waved his hand off so that she would walk before him.

They were already at the corridor when Maki saw Keiko again. The latter was already heading out for the grounds but stopped when they saw them. Keiko waved their way just as they reached her.

“Hello again Keiko-san.” Maki greeted.

“Hi.” Keiko greeted back, but she was looking at Tomohisa. “Are you guys heading home?”

“Just going for a drink.” Tomohisa answered simply.

“Oh, well then see you guys tomorrow.” Keiko was off in a flash, her shoulder bag swinging behind her.

“Tomo!” Maki scolded with a hiss.

“What?”

“You didn’t even invite her!” Maki whispered.

Tomohisa shrugged his shoulders. “Ikou…”

Maki stared at his back as he walked ahead. What was up with that?

Maki knew that Tomohisa was an aloof sort of person but not to people that he knew. She was sure he knew Keiko, they'd been working together for two tears already.

"Hey shorty hurry up!" Tomohisa called from the gates.

Maki's scowl was back. She huffed and quickened her pace. "I am not short..."

"Whatever you say shorty..."

"Ugh..."

They bickered all the way outside until Kazuya saw them.

"Honestly it's like taking care of babies with you two around." Kazuya said as he shook his head. Jin, Meisa ad Erika were already at the bar.

Kumai's was still the same. Young adults like them scattered around but of course they were the ones considered as regulars.

"Ah Maki hisashiburi!" Kumai, the bar owner waved. Kumai was a pleasant man, chubby and adorable as one would call him. He’d been good friends with all of them since they frequented the bar and grill he owned.

“So how was London?”

“Gloomy.” Maki answered the bar owner and had to laugh at the curious expression on his face. “It was gloomy because it’s always so cloudy.”

“Ah…” Kumai smiled back. “Jaa, why don’t you guys go ahead and take a seat, first round of drinks are on the house!”

“EH? You never did that when I was here…” Jin grumbled at Kumai.

“Sorry to say Jin, but you’re not as pretty as these three lovely ladies here…” Kumai gestured to Maki,      Erika and Meisa.

They chose a booth a little secluded but just so they could enjoy the place to themselves. Maki knew however, that a set of music was going to be requested from Kumai once they settled down. It wasn’t a burden. This was one other place where they could jam.

“Any song choices in mind?” Meisa teased them. Apparently Maki wasn’t the only on thinking that some, if not all of them, would be performing for the bar tonight. Meisa may be a dance instructor but she could also sing.

“Kiss me…” Erika chuckled before planting one right on the unsuspecting Kazuya’s lips.

“Oh get a room you two.” Tomohisa groaned quietly as his head was slung back on the booth.

“I was talking about the song.” Erika scowled although didn’t complain when Kazuya slung one arm around her so she could cuddle closer.

“On the house ramen!”

The six of them turned and saw a young waitress, bringing 6 bowls of ramen for them. She placed them on the table, not forgetting to wink at Tomohisa.

Maki rolled her eyes but saw that Tomohisa didn’t even acknowledge said wink and just started eating the meat from the ramen he had. Hmm.

She was gone for a couple of years and was pretty sure that some of her students would've already graduated or some were in their last year.

“Jaa so how are the students?”

"Yeah well, coming this semester some of your students won't know who you are and you, them." Meisa replied, taking a sip from her drink.

Maki remembered the joy of being with her students. She always had a nice going relationship with them. They still had that student - teacher respect going on but could become very close in a heart beat. Sighing, Maki reached for her chopsticks and helped herself to some meat.

Later, Kumai approached them, a small smile on his round face.

"Hey guys, think you could...?"

The six of them turned to look at each other and nodded their heads. It was as if they had mental telepathy and agreed on what they were going to perform.

"Kiss me?" Maki asked.

Jin chuckled. "Sorry Maki, I'm too committed to Mei-tan... but Tomo here might want to kiss you."

"Shut up Jin." Tomohisa grunted moving forward to the stage.

"I meant the song, genius." Maki rolled her eyes, following Tomohisa who was already at the stage.

Erika and Kazuya sat this one out. The stage would be too big for all of them there.

"Good evening everyone!" Meisa greeted, placing herself by the microphone. There were two guitars ready and an electric organ at the stage.

"Let's start off the night with a favorite ne?" Meisa turned to her friends, ready to sart with the song.

The intro started with Tomohisa strumming the rhythm while Jin and Maki entered with the solo parts. Then Meisa started singing...

Kiss me, mugiho-no hotori

Nightly, kusa-no namima

Futari hane hiroge

Omekasi-o e odoroh


Oh kiss me, awai yamiyo-ni

Lead me, tsuki-mo matteruyo

Hora goran 

Kaze-ga utatte

Hoshi-ga odori-hajimeta

So kiss me


Kiss me, himitsu-no shiro-de

Swing me, daiya-no fune

Hana-no boushi motte

Anata-no papa-no yume-e 

Tomohisa strummed the guitar, not realizing that  he was staring at Maki, watching as the woman's hair framed her face. He enjoyed looking at her while she smiled at Meisa, following the singer with her words.

The song finished withy the crowed clapping their hands to their heart's content. They weren't instructors for nothing after all. They all made beautiful music together.

"Arigato gozaimasu!" Meisa bowed to the crowed. "We just started of the nigth, it's open night and anyone who'd like to perform may do so! Oh, and please order more of Kumai's famous ramen!"

Maki laughed, realizing that Meisa had endorsed the bar too much. She stretched her hands a bit before going down the stage, followed by Meisa who was holding unto her shoulder.

"That was great you guys!" Kazuya clapped his hands once they got back to the booth.

Maki enjoyed a drink for herself, sitting beside Tomohisa. If there was one thing she enjoyed in life, it was playing music and being with her friends, so you could say this was a good night.

“This reminds me why I missed you so much Maki-chan.” Meisa smiled, going over to hug her friend. Maki knew deep down inside that it was rather unfair for her to leave them for London. But she wanted that. She wanted to prove something to herself. Maybe the call of teaching just got through her. In all other matters, she was happy that she was back.

After they sang, a few people showed off their talents in singing but after a couple of performances, the people singing died down again although there were still a lot of people inside.

“Come on, let’s perform again!” Erika stood up. This was her chance to be revved up. She and Kazuya didn’t get to perform earlier.

Feeling comfortable in their seats, Maki and Tomohisa waved them off so they could sing while the two of them sat back.

Well this was awkward. Awkward since Tomohisa kept swinging the straw of his drink around the glass while Maki looked the other way. But being the friendly person that she was, Maki started talking.

“So what’s up with you and Keiko?”

Tomohisa didn’t expect her to actually talk at all but alright, he’ll play her game. “What are you talking about?”

“A while ago…” Maki shrugged. “It looked like, you two have some issues.”

“No we don’t…”

“Oh come on, it’s not like you don’t know me…” Maki coaxed.

Tomohisa turned to glare at her but she kept the same curious face even smiling at him. God she was infuriating. He kept swinging the straw but decided for himself that he’d rather tell her now than she bother him the rest of the night. The music echoing behind in-front of them was of their friends as he talked.

“She told me she liked me…” There, he said it. But then he saw Maki made no reaction. Maki nodded her head and rested back on the seat, uttering a small; “Wow…”

“Wow what?”

“I just didn’t think someone actually likes you…”

“Shut up.”

Maki laughed softly then turned back to him. “But come on, so what’s the big deal if she likes you? Then go date her!”

At first Tomohisa looked away but Maki kept pestering him. “You like her too don’t you!” Maki teased.

“Shut up, she’s--”

“She’s what hmm?”

Gritting his teeth Tomohisa looked away again. He’d rather not answer that question. Unfortunately when he looked away, he saw someone familiar heading their way. “Oh .”

“What is it?” Maki asked, turning to where Tomohisa was looking at. A petite looking girl smiled while making her way over to them.

“Who’s that?” Maki asked again.

“Shut up and come here!” Before Maki could do anything, Tomohisa pulled her flush against him, his arms around her.

“Hey! What are you doing!”

“Be quiet and just sit there…”

“You’re not the boss of--”

“Shut up or I’ll kiss you!”

That got Maki to stay quiet. But then again, she wondered what those lips of his would on hers. Argh! Mental image! Stop brain!

“Hi there Tomohisa!” The girl from earlier stopped in-front of them. Her smile dropped when she realized the position Maki and Tomohisa were in.

“Oh, hey Airi…” Tomohisa greeted dully. He did not want to deal with her right now.

Airi, as she was called, smiled again and asked hesitantly. “So, uh, would like to have drinks with me at the bar?”

“Not tonight Airi sorry, I’m with my girlfriend.” Tomohisa gritted his teeth, squeezing Maki’s arm that the woman almost felt it come off.

Catching what he was trying to do, Maki smiled back at Airi, trying not to wince at the force of Tomohisa’s squeezing.

“Oh, okay then…” Airi smiled again before moving away. When she was out of sight, Maki pushed Tomohisa away, rubbing her arms.

“That hurt jerk!”

But Tomohisa just sighed. “Man, I always have to deal with her when I go here.”

Maki rolled her eyes. She couldn’t blame the man though. With his cool demeanour and his handsome face (not that she would tell him that) he was a definite chick magnet.

“For the record, you owe me for this.” Maki huffed and stood up, just as the other returned.

“Admit you liked being my girl for a minute!” Tomohisa yelled dully but Maki just glowered him, making her way to the bathroom.