Welcome Back Maki-chan

Heartbeats and Banters

 

Maki was so thankful that the actual school year wouldn’t be until a month from now. This first day was just for the instructors to get oriented for the new school year. She hoped she could get back to her systems. For three years she was a pianist for a band in London and hadn’t taught music for a long time.

“Jaa, that ends the meeting! We can have an early brunch at the cafeteria!” Yuichi announced. Being the director’s right hand man wasn’t an easy job for him.

Maki grabbed her bag, leaving a few things on her brand new desk. Erika and Meisa were at the doorway, waiting for her but before she could approach them, Yuichi walked closer to her.

“Anou Maki-chan, could I talk to you for a minute?”

“Oh uh…” Maki shuffled for a minute, turning to her friends who were clearly still waiting. She gestured that they go on without her with Yuichi looking their way as if backing up as Maki’s excuse. The other two girls looked at each other first before nodding their heads in understanding.

 “What is it?” Maki asked the man curiously.

But Yuichi held one long slender finger first then turned to the doors before one other instructor could escape. “You too Tomohisa…”

“Eh?” Tomohisa was in the midst of rearranging the stuff in his bag when Yuichi called out to him. The latter nodded his head as if Tomohisa would already understand this before walking over to his desk. Maki followed soon after, giving Tomohisa a questioning look as she passed but the man simply shrugged. He was oblivious as she was.

By now only the three of them were left inside the faculty room, giving Yuichi the freedom to talk to them in privacy. “Now you two both know we have the opening ceremony at the start of the semester…”

Yuichi wasn’t even finished with what he saw saying but Maki already knew what was to come. “Wait a minute Yuichi…”

She would’ve continued but again, Yuichi raised that slender finger of his. It was obvious that Tomohisa too knew where this was headed since he was left sighing tiredly beside Maki.

“What, you’re asking me and Maki to compose a song for the ceremony.”

Instead of being annoyed with Tomohisa’s rather vexing tone, Yuichi smiled as if he won the lottery or something. “Nice thinking Tomo! But yes anyways, we need a song from both of you…”

Maki clicked her tongue rather in annoyed manner. Not that she was annoyed with Yuichi; just that she was annoyed with being partnered up with Tomohisa. “Yuichi, you know I love you right? But… I can’t work with him…” She said whiningly. And she hated sounding like that. Sadly, this was a situation she’d risked sounding like a bratty girl just to escape.

“I’m not excited with working with you too.” Tomohisa replied fiercely facing his left where Maki stood. He was a good six inches taller than her but Maki’s ego was taller than her own body.

“Glad to hear we agree on something.” Maki replied, showing Tomohisa a vexing smile.

“Stop it you two.” Yuichi said, although not making an effort to stand up from his desk. With his hands splayed on the glass surface, he started explaining. “I didn’t do this to piss you two off or anything.” He breathed before continuing. This was going to be an uphill battle. “Remember the first year? You two managed to compose a song without killing each other… well, barely.” He laughed before turning to Maki. “Like it or not, Tomohisa’s melodies are enchanting and your lyrics are inspiring!”

Tomohisa and Maki faced each other again. They were both unsure but seeing Yuichi’s pouty face ensured that they were done for.

“Ne so what do you say?” Yuichi asked. “Are you two up for it?”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“I can’t believe I just agreed to work with you!” Maki gritted her teeth as she opened the door. Tomohisa followed behind her, thankful that the door’s hinges didn’t come off from the force. Maki was petite but that didn’t mean she didn’t have a killer strength inside her.

“I was forced too!” Tomohisa gritted back. He was able to catch up to Maki with his long legs aiding him. “If it wasn’t for Yuichi being my friend, I wouldn’t have agreed to do this!”

The conversation would be going nowhere and Maki knew that. So for the good of her first day she opted to keep shut.

“Figures… you need me. A song can’t start without a melody…” He said coolly.

Maki arched a perfectly good eyebrow at him. “And you can’t finish a song without the lyrics Tomo… face it, we need each other. So stop trying to feed your already big ego.” She walked ahead again and in the same manner, Tomohisa was able to catch up.

“Why did you come back anyway? Playing piano in hotels got to be a bore?”

Maki knew he was teasing and was urging a reaction from her but she kept her cool.

“Because I missed you Tomo and can’t wait to torment you day after day.” She teased, faking a sweet smile his way.

“Well I didn’t miss you.” He replied trying to hide the smile from his face.

Maki laughed to herself. “Of course you didn’t.” She decided to end it at that, finding her way over to where Erika and Meisa were. She didn’t realize that Tomohisa had stopped walking so he could gaze at her from the distance.

“Welcome back Maki.” He whispered with a small smile on his face.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Meisa and Erika were with their respective partners when Maki reached their spot; the last table at the corner of the cafeteria.

“Hey Maki-chan!” Kazuya greeted softly when she approached.

Gosh she missed them all in truth. Maki waved softly before taking her place beside Erika. A few short moments and Tomohisa caught up, sitting across from Maki and beside Kazuya.

“So Yuichi told you about composing a song huh?” Meisa said, feeding herself some salad.

“You guys already knew?” Tomohisa asked, accusingly.

Jin shrugged his shoulders. “Not really, we just figured it out. Everyone knows you guys compose the best songs.” He stretched his arms behind his back before wrapping it around Meisa who smiled back at him.

Maki and Tomohisa looked at each other disbelievingly. They would be a perfect team if they actually agreed on things. She just hoped they could go through with this and not kill each other in the process. Tomohisa wasn’t her enemy per say, but they could not agree on things.

It was then that Maki realized Jin and Meisa in-front of her. Man, they looked sweet. She laughed to herself. They weren’t like that years ago. One could say that Meisa hated Jin for being a playboy but she guessed that the man’s charms worked.

“Ne Jin…” She called out and the man turned to her. “You hurt Meisa and you wish you’d never been born, got that?”

Jin’s eyes actually widened for a moment before the confident smirk was back on his handsome face. “Roger that Maki-chan.” He chuckled, kissing Meisa’s cheek while the woman rolled her eyes.

“By the way Maki-chan.” Erika cut in. “So where’s your new apartment?”

In unfortunate events, Maki had to sell the house where she and her mother used to live after her mother died and she got that job in London.

“I live at Parkstreet apartment, room 406 if you guys want to come.”

Kazuya almost spit his iced tea out when she finished her sentence and she looked at them questioningly.

“What’s wrong.”

“You don’t know that Tomo and you are neighbors then?” Meisa asked teasingly.

Maki whipped her head over to Tomohisa who was quiet all this time.

“I never knew you were that new tenant.” Tomohisa reasoned out. “Besides, I slept over at Kazuya and Erika’s place last night.”

“Well then I’ll be your alarm clock once the semester starts.” She declared.

Tomohisa groaned to himself before burying his head in his hands. He was a very heavy sleeper but he knew that wouldn’t stop Maki from probably banging his apartment wall just so he’d wake up.

“Gosh I missed this.” Erika chuckled to herself, drinking from Kazuya’s iced tea. “Welcome back Maki-chan…”

======================================================================================

AN: Hello friends! XD did you like the latest chapter? :D sorry for typos :p please correct some ne? and comments please :D thanks for reading!