Lectures At The Garden Bench And Studio Happenings

Heartbeats and Banters

This was intense. What was she going to say? She was not prepared. Maki’s heart was beating fast. Keiko was still looking at her, sharply if she might add, still waiting for her answer. She didn’t know what to do! But seeing the look on the woman in-front of her, Maki decided for herself and stood her ground.

“Keiko, why are you ask--”

“I’m asking the questions Maki, so if you don’t mind, please answer them.”

Wow. Maki had to step back a bit. The atmosphere was suddenly different. Just a while ago, it seemed that Keiko was still unsure of what she was doing but now she became fierce.

“Maki! Don’t you have a class to attend?”

Both the two women conversing turned to the side. Just a few feet away stood Meisa and was looking at them with dagger eyes but said eyes were obviously for Keiko.

Thank god, she really was Maki’s best friend. Maki nodded her head and walked away, careful not to meet with Keiko’s gaze. When she reached Meisa’s side, she whispered. “Arigato.”

Meisa only nodded her head and allowed her friend to get away as much as possible. She looked at Keiko whose expression suddenly transformed and was back to being innocent. Before she could say antyhign she did not want to, Meisa headed for wherever Maki disappeared to. She saw her friend sitting at the bench inside their school’s indoor garden.

Maki heaved a long sigh as she looked at the back of her hands which were placed on her thighs. She wondered, whyever di Keiko had the urge to ask that question? Did the woman realize something? Wait, what was Keiko realizing anyway. Maki had her eyes closed when she felt someone sitting next to her and she had no doubt that it was Meisa.

“What did Keiko tell you a while ago?” Meisa asked. Of course this girl always went straight for the jugular.

Would she tell meisa? She wasn’t sure. Her friend might take it the wrong way. But she was used to this; that’s why Meisa was her best friend.

She lifted her head before turning to face her friend. “She asked if I was feeling something for Tomo…” She expected Meisa to look surprised but the latter only looked back at her, waiting for her to continue. But before she could follow through with her previous words, Meisa spoke up.

“Why? You do really feel something for him right?”

Maki was surprised by what Meisa said. “H-ha? F-feel something?”

“Of for pete’s sake Maki, stop it. Yes it seems that I don’t approve of Tomohisa, just because, the guy has no clue and can be an idiot at times but I admit that you guys are good for each other and you like him.”

The list was endless as Meisa spoke up. If a while ago it was intense with Keiko, well now it was intense with Meisa.

Her? She liked Tomohisa? Yes he was attractive but did she like him? Like, like like? How would you ever know that you actually liked someone?

“How could that be Mei-tan when Tomo and I always fight.” Maki pointed out.

Her friend laughed before answering. “Honestly, you two would be much more passionate with each other because of that, taking into consideration that you would really get together.”

Maki was not used to Meisa saying these things to her.If it was Erika she’d understand but this was Meisa. This was different.

“And the thing is, the only reason you two fight with each other because you’re both attracted. You’re both in awe with each other that’s why you always put yourselves into a competition. Just because you’re both hard-headed.” Meisa heaved a long sigh and faced her friend who looked back to her

“You know Maki, I can’t be the one to decide for you but the only thing I’ll say is; it’s easy lying to others but it’s hard lying to yourself.” Meisa smiled before kissing Maki’s cheek and leaving the garden.

That was a very bizzare and new experience for Maki. Meisa rarely gave her lectures. It was suually Erika who they both lectured. It was a good thing that her class wouldn’t start for yet another hour because she was still not in her right mind. She stood up from the bench as peeked along the corridor. Her feet brought her forward until she almost collided with someone.

“Hey Maki! Are you alright?”

That was yuya, she was sure, no other voice would sound as good even when it was only speaking. When she lifted her head, the man was looking at her, still holding unto a class record. He was probably headed to class.

“I’m sorry Yuya I was not looking.” She tried hiding her dilemma by smiling. She was about to walk away but Yuya had suddenly gripped her wrist. She looked at him questioningly.

“Are you alright?” Yuya asked, choosing his words slowly. “It seems like you’re paling.”

“Aren’t I always pale?” Maki laughed.

Yuya grimaced. Still holding unto Maki’s wrist, he turned to his watch before pulling her inside an empty classroom. Why did everyone seem to want to talk to her today?

“Did something happen?” Yuya asked.

Maki saw the dtermination dancing in the man’s eyes. She was defeated. But she could tell him without being too obvious right? “Yuya, how would you ever know that you’re already into someone?”

Yuya suddenly erupted his face with a smile. It was different from what his expression a while ago. “Wait a minute, why are you even asking me when you’ve liked Tomo for as long as I remember.”

Maki’s eyes almost bulged out. “H-ha?! I wasn’t even talking about Tomo…”

“Whoo, yeah right…”

“I thought you were here to help me.” Maki replied with a scowl.

While still laughing, Yuya began talking. “Okay okay.” He was looking all serious again and was giving Maki a soft smile. “You know Maki-chan. You’re the only one who is going to know if you really do like the person. In your case, I think you really do like Tomo because you won’t acceot it. Sometimes it’s harder and more complicated when it is that way…” He smiled before comfortingly gripping Maki’s hand and walking away.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Maki already wanted to commit sucicide. Her class had just ended and to be honest, it was a wonder that she was able to give a lecture. Her thoughts were flying all over the place. Her students had already left while she stayed behind to fix some fo her things. Because she was so distracted, she accidentally hit her pencil case and it rolled over to the other side of her desk. The noise echoed as her pencils and pens fell all over the floor.

“Oh no…” She quickly rounded the desk and started picking the pens up when a pair of hands started helping her. She looked up and came face to face with Mirai.

“You have so many pens sensei.” The student joked. Maki could only smile as they continued picking the strewn materials across the floor.

“I’m sorry Mirai, my hands are a little tense today.”

“Ah, they say all piano players are like that ne?” Mirai praised as she handed Maki the last ballpen.

They left the room at the same time.

“I’ll get on going then sensei.” Mirai bid goodbye.

“Alright.” Maki waved back. She turned around to head straight to the faculty room only to see Keiko walking over her way. It seemed the latter also did not know that Maki was there for Keiko looked surprised when their eyes met. Maki had already decided to face the other instructor. Whatever may happen they had to talk to each other.

“Keiko-sensei, may I talk to you?” Maki asked her co-worker.

It was obvious that Keiko was also uneasy but nonetheless nodded her head and followed Maki until the both of them were standing to one side.

Keiko immediately spoke up before Maki could say anything.

“Maki-sensei, I want to apologize for the way I acted a while ago.”

Obviously surprised but Maki allowed Keiko to continue.

“Honestly Maki, Tomohisa is the forst man who was not immediately drawn to me.” Keiko continued. “I’m not being conceited or anything, it’s just that ever since, I get the guy whenever I show him a motive… I don’t do much but they become mine. Tomohisa is the only one not to do that. At first I wondered why. The I realized, it’s because of you.”

“M-me--?”

Keiko laughed slowly. “Oh man. Sometimes love really does go to waste. I shouldn’t have asked you a while ago Maki. It’s obvious that you like Tomohisa too. What I’d like to say, married people can be pulled apart. What more with those that don’t even have a formal relationship.” She left before Maki could say a thing. Maki turned around, still in a daze and was flabbergasted to see that Mirai was there.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa looked at his wrist watch. It was only 3:30 in the afternoon. Dismissal was still at 4:00 but he had ended his lecture in quick time.

“Take your free time guys.” He told his students. “Just don’t be too noisy so we won’t disturb some of the the other on-going classes.” He sat by his desk so he could rest. It was very tiring to stand up for one and a half hour and give a lecture. He was about to relax when a student’s hand shot up in the air. He looked at the said student and allowed her to speak up.

“Sensei may we interview you?”

It seemed like everyone was interested because instead of doing whatever they wanted to do they all turned to listen.

“What kind of interview?” Alright, he’d try humoring these kids.

“How old are you sensei?”

Tomohisa laughed. Hadn’t he already mentioned how old he was? Maybe he just forgot. “I’m 28 years old…”

“Do you have a girlfriend sensei?”

As always the youth were like this. He shook his head but answered noetheless. “None yet.”

“Ever sir?” Tomohisa was surprised when he saw Ryosuke was the one who spoke up.

It was ture. He never had a real girlfriend. He usually went on dates and had a few flings, but a real girlfriend? None. His longest fling was about three months. He wasn’t a playboy or anything like that sine he never had two flings at the same time. And he rarely even dated. He decided to put his music first instead of those things.

“None…”

“Really sensei?” It was Ryosuke once again. This kid was really interested in him.

“You don’t like any other instructor here sir?” A student named Hikaru asked.

Tomohisa had no idea why but Maki’s beautiful smiling face suddenly invaded his thoughts and he found himself answerin; “There is.”

“Oooooh…” The student’s murmurs echoed. Now they were all intrigued.

“Sensei, who is it?” Asami, a student asked.

He smiled before shaking his head. “Of course I won’t tell you guys…”

“Awww…” The students collectively groaned.

“Sensei if we guess correctly would you tell us if we were right?” Ryosuke said in a serious manner. Tomohisa suddenly felt nervous. Maybe this kid knew something!

KRING!

It was true when they say saved by the bell. Tomohisa quickly stood up and started fixing all of his things into his bag. “Alright class, it’s time. You’re dismissed.”

“Unfair sir! We were going to guess!”

“Go on you’re dismissed.” Tomohisa laughingly answered. Feeling dejected, the students all followed and fixed their own things. Tomohisa waited for his students to leave before he was the one to do so. Surprised, he saw that Ryosuke was still inside. The young man had too many things to fix. Papers flew away and one landed straight in front of him. Tomohisa grabbed the piece of paper and realized that it was a song.  He read the tile.

“Mirai…”

The paper was quickly gone from his hands and was back in Ryosuke’s grasp. Embarassedly, the student looked away from him.

“Uhm, see you sensei, I’ll go ahead…” Ryosuke moved quickly out fo the room, carrying with him the song he wrote for his girlfriend.

Shaking his head, Tomohisa closed the door when his phone started ringing in his pants. He quickly pulled it away from his pocket and saw that Yuichi was the one calling.

“Yuichi?”

“Tomo!” His friend’s voice echoed through the other line.

“Ou, why?”

“Remember the unplugged version I asked you and Maki to write?”

Of course, how could he even forget about that. “Sure. Why?”

“It needs to be rushed! I need it in three days.”

“Three days?!” Tomohisa couldn’t help but yell. It was a good thing he was alone in the corridors. It was hard to record that quick! “Wait a minute. What is this song even for? Why does it need to be unplugged?”

Yuichi was silent but spoke up after a while. “I’m not allowed to tell you. Just that I need it stat. Forgive me Tomo but you know I wouldn’t ask this from Maki and you if I didn’t know that you both couldn’t do it.”

“but…”

“I still have a class. I’ll talk to you later bye!”

The phone clicked to an end. Tomohisa slowly brought it dwon from his ear. He couldn’t do anything else. He wasn’t even ready to see Maki again.Now that everything was clear to him, he had no idea what to do. This was a different feeling. This was the first time he felt this way! He frustratedly scratched the back of his head then walked away. From afar he saw the garden bench. Maybe he needed time to think. He sat on the wood surface and placed his things beside him. He closed his eyes but instead of seeing darkness, he saw Maki’s beautiful face. . Was this some kind of disease? Maybe he needed to get checked by a doctor?

“Tomo?”

He turned to the side and saw Kazuya. It seems like the latter had just finished class since he was still allsweaty. It was really like that when you were a dancer.

“Are you alright?” His best friend asked .

He shook his head before answering. “Kazu why is it like this…”

“Is that Maki?”

“Ha?”

“I mean, is Maki the one bothering your thoughts?” Kazuya asked.

Tomohisa closed his eyes before leaning his head against the back of the bench. “Why Kazu, why am I feeling this way?”

Kazuya laughed. “You know, you’ve been feeling that for along time but just now realized.”

Tomo turned to his friend.

“2 years ago, when you first saw Maki, it’s always her who you’ve been telling me stories about. And then even though you’re annoyed with her, you still continue with your stories. It’s too obvious Tomo.” Kazuya smiled.  “And then, even though you hid it, I know you were disheartened when she went to london. Of course, how would you be with her when she’s in another conutry. There, it was all inside you for two years and now that she’s back, your feelings suddenly overflowed.”

Tomohisa looked at his friend. So this was what it was like when you talked about love. “I just realized that you’re a romantic Kazu.” He joked.

Kazuya laughed too. “Of course, that’s why Erika and I were made for each other.” There was a faint buzzthat could be heard and they both looked at Kazuya’s pocket. The latter grabbed his phone and was saw his girlfriend’s name displayed on the phone screen. “There, I think Erika misses me.” He stood up and comfortingly cupped Tomohisa’s shoulder.

Tomohisa watched as his friend walked away.

“Tomo, why are you alone here?”

He had to look and saw that Keiko was headed his way, carrying a ton of paper with her. Quickly he stood up and moved to help the woman.

“You have so many things, aren’t these heavy?” Tomohisa said as he took the stack of papers from Keiko.

The latter smiled and nodded her head in a form of thanks. “I was heading back to the faculty,, I’d just let my studentstake a quiz.”

“Oh okay, I’ll help you then…”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“I’m sorry Mirai if you’ve heard all of those things.” Maki told her student as they both stood infront fo the school railings. She didn’t know why but she felt at ease with this young womanTheir ages weren’t that far apart that’s why she felt they were like just friends.

Mirai could only smile. “It wasn’t even my business sensei, I just accidentally heard it.” There was a left over pen that she wasn’t able to return but it was too late since Keiko was already there.

“But sensei, you and Tomo-sensei look good together.”

Maki turned to the young woman. “Ha?”

Mirai laughed. “I don’t know why but don’t they say that chemistry can bee seen in two people no matter what they do?”

Maki followed with the laugh. If you were going to base it on looks, maybe, just maybe, she and Tomohisa looked good together. But then again, she admitted that she was not that pretty to match with Tomohisa’s obvious male handsomeness. She was about to say something when she saw something from afar. It was Keiko and Tomohisa laughing with each other. The two seemed to be heading for the faculty. She then realized that Mirai was looking her way. One small smile crawled up to her face as she looked at the student. “I think Keiko and Tomohisa suit each other better.” She said. She sighed deeply then turned back to Mirai. “Oh well. Thank you for your time Mirai, but I still have another class.”

“Oh okay then sensei.”

Maki started walking away, not seeing the concerned look on Mirai’s face. At least now that she was alone, she could think her thoughts to herslef. Mirai was right, chemistry could be seen no matter what you do. And it was no doubt that Keiko and Tomohisa had better chemistry. Their looks were a perfect macth. Wow, she wasn’t even joining the war but she was already losing .

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= 

If it was possible to escape Maki would but it was too obvious. Just a while ago Yuichi called and informed her that she and Tomohisa needed to finish that song ASAP. And now, Tomohisa texted her that they see each other in studio 3.

You can do this Maki, you are just going to see each other, you won’t be doing anything wrong.

Almost all the people in school were gone since it was already late into the day. She was jealous with Meisa and Erika since they had their dates with their boyfriends. At  least she had a studio date.What a date?! Stop it Maki, you’re just going to record…

She was feeling a little nervous but she went ahead to studio 3. She was expecting tomohisa to be there when she arrived but the man was nowhere to be found. Ok, now she was annoyed. He kept texting when she was going to be first there anyways. Her tummy suddenly started rumbling. This looked like it was going to be an all-nighter, what if she grabbed dinner first? Her things would probably in safe keeping so she left her bag and just grabbed her phone and her wallet. Even though it was far, she had no choice but to head for a conbini since their school cafeteria was already closed.

The bell of the conbini rang but she was surprised to hear the voice that echoed through her ear.

“Maki.”

She turned around and saw Ryo. He looked tired as hell. “Ryo! I haven’t seen you the whole day.”

“Why did you miss me?” Ryo teased.

Maki laughed. “Yes I missed you a lot.” She returned with her own teasing.

“Aren’t you headed home yet?” Ryo asked. It looked like he had just bought something from the conbinisince he was holding two plastic bags.

“Actually Tomo and I still have to record so it looks like I’ll beheading home a little later than usual.” Maki answered.

“Ah.” Was the onlything Ryo had to say. “Why don’t I bring you back to school.”

“Oh, it’s alright, I don’t want to trouble you.”

“No it’s alright. I want to.”

Maki smiled before hurriedly grabbing a sandwhich and her favorite iced coffee and bought them at the counter. After that, she and Ryo headed back to school. Maki’s cellphone suddenly rangonce they reached the gates. It was Tomohisa.

“Hello?” She answered as she and Ryo continued walking.

“Maki wher--”

The voice from the other line stopped and so did Maki with walking. She saw standing at the other end was Tomohisa. The man looked at her and Ryo before uttering deep into the phone.

“I’ll see you in the studio.”

He left while maki and Ryo looked at each other.

“Is Tomo alright?”  Ryo asked. “Why did he seem pissed off?”

Maki was asking herseflt he same thing. She breathed in deeply then turned to her friend. “It’s alright Ryo, I’ll head on now, thank you again.”

She had no chance to hear Ryo reply since she quickened her pace. She was sure that Tomohisa was already up there in the studio. No matter how fast she walked, she knew she wouldn’t be able to catch up with the man.

And she was right. Tomohisa was already inside, fixing the instruments. She opened the door and felt the cold air conditioning. She looked at Tomo but the man was not looking at her, he was too busy tuning his guitar. Damn it, he was acting up again. Let him be.

Maki sat at the couch and brought out the music sheets. “Where will we start?”

“It’s up to you…”

Maki stopped for a moment. There was something different in Tomohisa’s tone. “What’s wrong with you, are you mad?” Even she was getting annoyed. Shouldn’t she be the one angry? He was the one who was late.

“I’m not mad, let’s start.”

Maki threw the sheets on the couch before standing up. “We are not going to start until you tell me what’s bothering you, what gives?”

“I told you I’m not mad.” Even Tomohisa stood up. Unfair, he was taller than her. Maki felt smaller now.

“You’re not mad? Stop it Tomo, I know you, what ‘s your problem?” She was not going to back down.

In annoyance, Tomohisa grimaced. “Where were you anyways?! We could’ve start earlier.”

“I came here and you weren’t here yet!” Maki reasoned. “That’s why I bought food first!”

“I only went to the restroom! Didn’t you see my bag?”

This was useless. “I don’t know what’s your problem Tomo. Just that and you’re gettingticked off? Tsk.”

“Well sorry.” Tomohisa said but it was obvious he was mocking her. “I ruined your date wit h Ryo.”

Maki’s eyes turned into slits. “Will you stop it with Ryo, we just saw each other and he offered to take me back. What’s your problem with him anyways? Isn’t he your friend?”

“Because I’m ing jealous!”

They were both startled. But if Maki was surprised Tomohisa was more than surprised.

Maki was able to let her voice out. “W-wha--”

But before she could say anything else, Tomohisa pulled her forward, his arms snaking around her waist before crashing an open-mouthed kiss with hers. Was this what it felt like? Maki literally couldn’t breathe, Tomohisa’s lips against hers felt wonderful and he was kissing her as if he needed her lips for oxygen. She threw caution into the wind and steadied herself by placing a warm hand on the side of Tomohisa’s face and kissed him back, all the pent up tension overflowing through that kiss. But it seemed that she was pulled back into reality. With one move she pushed Tomohisa away. The man’’s dark eyes softened as they both had to catch their breath.

“Maki--”

“I’m sorry Tomo, but let’s record the song tomorrow.”

“Maki wait!” Tomohisa tried stopping the woman but Maki had already grabbed her bag and ran out fot he studio as if her life depended on it.