Chapter 12: The Boys

Seohyun's Butler

Seohyun's POV

"So what's the deal between the two of you?" Sooyoung unnie asks to the point. I keep quiet because neither do I have a clue on what's going on.

Do I like my butler? Have I formed an attachment towards him without knowing? It seems even I, the person involved, am lost in the whole situation. But I can't be mistakened with the look on my face in the last photo. I'm not professional enough to feign such a complicaed emotion. The expression seems so real and genuine that I couldn't possibly have misread it. Not to mention the starking similarity of my looks and that of Changmin-ssi's. It is impossible that it should be a coincidence... If deep down, unknowingly, I'm really drawn to him... would it be so unbelievable that he should feel the same for me? But No, NEVER, he's my butler!!! I've been so sure that I'd never fall for him when appa told me about the rules! A lady should never fall in love with her butler!! What's got into me? What should I do now?

"Hey!! Hyunnie? You feeling well? You seem a bit pale! How a'bt you sit down first?" The voice of Hyo unnie draws me back to reality as she assists me to sit on the bed. "Sooyoung! Ease her into your interrogation! You didn't have to be so straightforward, now did you?" Hyo unnie snaps.

"Sorry maknae, I'm just worried..."

"It's ok, Sooyoung unnie. It's not your fault and I'm fine."

"Well, do you want to share? If not, I'm sure we'll all understand." Tiffany joins the group and plops down right next to me, her smile comforting me already.

"I don't know if there's much to say since I'm quite confused as well."

"You would be more confused if you knew how Minho sees you." Yuri unnie says aloud, earning a solid knock on the head by Yoona unnie. "Ouch!"

"Watch your tongue, Yul! We are here to comfort Seobaby and not cause her more problems!"

"Unnie, what is that you wanted to say about Minho? He's my friend, I'd want to know if anything was the matter." I try to push the matter but all the eyes on me seem to be discouraging my decision.

"The truth is... Minho does not see you as his friend..." Yuri unnie's reply is almost like the squeaking of a mouse, but my ears catch every word.

"What? Why didn't he tell me that he dislikes me? I would have steered clear from him and gave him the space he needed!" I am shocked by this fact.

"No! You're mistakened, maknae. He does not dislike you... No, he likes you, just a little bit more than he should... that's it..." Yoona unnie responds in a hurry, trying to explain but making me even more confused.

"What do you mean? He likes me but he doesn't.... I don't think I understand..." I scratch my head, trying my best to absorb all the information.

'Didn't you go to the US? Shouldn't you be more clear about these matters? What Yoona and Yuri are trying to say, is that Minho is crushing on you!" Sooyoung unnie blurts out directly, too directly that I am stunned. "Oh..." is all I can muster.

"Well, you did it, Sooyoung. Now what do we do? Maknae here is as petrified as a stone." Hyo unnie nags at shikshin unnie, who seems not the least sorry. But then, she shouldn't be, she's only telling the truth for my own good.

"Now, what should Seobaby do? Minho is clearly in love with her and Shim Changmin, her butler, might be a little bit too attached to her as well. Girls, there's one thing though: Romantic relationship is forbidden between the master-and-butler contract. We all know that." Tiffany unnie says plainly. Of course they would know. Once upon a time, before they had boyfriends, butlers were arranged to take care of them. Lucky for them, the only feelings they harbored were mutual respect and friendship. "But we can't blame Hyunnie for falling for Changmin-ssi though. It's not like he had a lack of admirers along his career."

This earned quite an uproar amongst my unnies who can't stop laughing and shouting names. 

"You remember Jessica, right? She practically flung herself to Mr. Shim with her low cut dresses and forced cleavage." Yoona says between giggles.

While I'm not the least amused (I don't know half the people they were talking about), the other unnies definitely find the issue so since they are practically laughing to tears and hands clutching their aching stomach. 

"Maknae doesn't know. Jessica is the daughter of Mayor Jung. Before your butler served you, he served her. She is quite the princess and tries to get what she wants, which is her butler. Unfortunate for her, Mr. Shim turned a blind eye to her every attempt to seduce him. In the end, her parents could no longer endure her behaviour and had Mr. Shim sent away. Now, Jessica has got herself a new butler who is willing to cave in to her wishes." Yuri unnie explains for me and pretends to kiss Yoona unnie as if to demonstrate explicitly her last sentence. 

My mouth must have hung wide open because Sooyoung unnie's hand reaches my jaw to push it up. "You can't be kidding me? You really have no knowledge of relationships and boy-girl stuff?"

I shake my head. "I study in an all-girls school and they treat me as if I were transparent there."

"Oh poor thing... So you've never had a boyfriend before?"

"Well, Minho and Jonghyun are my friends and they are boys... Do they count?"

"LOL No! I mean that kind you fancy and dream about every night! The ones you go on date with and kiss!"

Before I could replly, Hyo unnie has put on a gagging face. "My dear Sooyoung, I know your experienced, but please... just keep them to yourself. I feel sick just hearing them. I wonder what Ryeowook sees in you!" Sooyoung unnie sticks out her tongue to her and turns back to me, waiting for my answer.

"If you mean those kind of boyfriends, then I don't. I never had one." I hang my head low in embarassment. 

"Aww!! Maknae is so adorable!! There's nothing to be ashamed of! What's better than purity?" Tiffany pinches my nose and gives me a bear hug. 

"Then are you hinting that I am tainted then?" Sooyoung unnie her eyebrow at Fany unnie. 

We all laugh and continue with our preparation.

Minho's POV

I was going to knock the girl's door to see if they needed anything. That is just another lame excuse of mine to see Seohyun. If you must know, I've been in love with her ever since we're 3. You have no idea how devastated I was when she left and how glad I was when she returned 9 years later. If I did not have Jonghyun to keep me company, i think I would be suffering from depression. 

Before my fingers could touch the door knob, I hear the words: If you mean those kind of boyfriends, then I don't. I never had one.

It did not take me a single second to tell that those words came from the mouth of my favorite girl. Imagine the joy I was in! She's been single all these 18 years and is still now! I did not bother to accomplish my initial task and ran to find my dear friend for the good news.

"Jonghyun! Can you believe it? Our Hyunnie has never had a boyfriend!!" I shout at the top of my lungs as soon as I spot my buddy, who was plucking his guitar casually (I don't know why he brings it with him all the time)/

He lifts his head and looks at me, as if I was speaking nonsense. "You sure? Or is it only your hallucination?"

"Aniyo! I heard her speak clearly!"

"When?"

"I passed by the girls' room and heard her say it by chance!"

He immediately focuses back on the instrument. "Well, Minho, I've known that fact all along. I just can't believe you, of all people, needed to eavesdrop on other's conversation to be informed."

"You knew? How?" I ask, flabbergasted that Jonghyun should know before me.

"Simply from the way she handles you. If she had experience, she would've noticed that you treat her more than a friend." Without another word, he returns to his world of music, leaving me puzzled as to how I could have been so clueless all along. 

Donghae's POV

Since today's Tiffany's birthday, I've been invited to attend the party. In all seriousness, I'm much too old to fit into this crowd of college students. I'd have saved myself from such embarassment if I weren't here for another mission --- to be my little sister's date. Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's now got that annoying hell of a butler taking care of her, but I'm just not too comfortable to place Joohyun in the hands of such a cool and uncaring man (at least that's my perception of him. He might be a good guy after all, but until he shows that through his actions, I'll treat him as a bad one).

So, when I heard Joohyun was attending the party, I RSVP-ed to this event immediately and offered to be her . After all, in such kind of parties where booze and playboys are readily available, you never know what'll happen. With her by my side, I can at least keep an eye and fend off any unwanted men from her. Sometimes, I just think she's too pretty and innocent for her own good. 

As soon as I've handed my car keys to the valet for parking, I ring the door bell. Much to my surprise, Joohyun's butler, rather than the Hwang servants, opened the door. 

"So Joohyun's here already." I say, not bothering to give him a word of thanks. If he's going to be rude to Seobaby, I'll treat him the same way. After all, an eye for an eye is my motto of life. He makes no response and leaves the scene as soon as he had closed the door. Although he has no obligation to answer to me, his actions still fuel my dislike towards him. Still, I decide to let the matter drop and look around to see if any associates of mine has arrived.

I'm lucky because I can see Minho and Jonghyun at the living room, chatting. At least, I'll not be bored to death until Joohyun joins me. From afar, I already notice how animated and excited Minho seemed to look. That kid has always been the hyperactive one of the two boys, so it's not really that much of a surprise. What draws my attention is their conversation: Minho says that Joohyun has not a boyfriend (for which I'm grateful, she's far too young to be exposed to the desparation heartbreak and love brings) and how Jonghyun seems to be implying that the other boy has a crush on Joohyun.

Naturally, boys would fall for Joohyun, who is not only gorgeous, but kind and innocent as well. Who wouldn't want a girlfriend like that? I have nothing against Minho for he is a good kid with a good family background. Not to mention he's been friends with Joohyun for so long and has never failed to make her smile. All I want for my lil' sis, is happiness, freedom and health. As long as he's able to give her that, I'll approve of their relationship. But then, this may well be a one-sided love... Does Joohyun like him in return? Maybe I'll find out tonight.

Pretending I've overheard nothing at all, I walk to the two friends and give them my greetings.

Changmin's POV

I was told before leaving the Seo Mansion that President Lee's son, Seohyun's "elder brother", was going to be her . I did not know what to think but to convince myself that my work has been cut out for me. I can see that the Lee Donghae character has my lady's back since he seems to hold a grudge against me for being cool to her, at least I heard him say as much during her first party. She should do fine tonight. But I can never be too sure, so I decided to head up to Miss Hwang's room, where all the ladies were preparing, to check up on her. 

As I pass by the room, I can clearly hear the noise and laughter inside. I was waiting for the conversation to subside before knocking, in case I interrupted anything. However, the chat dragged on and on and occasionally, I noticed the words "butler", "maknae" and "like" repeat quite a few times. I never knew what they were talking about because at that moment, the door opened. 

"Oh! You!" The face of Joohyun greets me and her cheeks begin to turn pink. "What are you here for?"

"Excuse me, my lady, I'm just checking to see if you're all ready and dressed."

The room seems to have quieted down and loud whispers of "Is it him?" and "Shut up so I can hear!" could be heard. For a second, I wonder if she was blushing because of embarssment at her friends' words but from her darting eyes, I can tell it was something else. It's as if she refuses to have eye contact with me. When those brown eyes finally meet mine, she immediately lowers her head.

"I'm alright! You can go now!" She quickly answers and closes the door. 

I was about to leave when the door is once again yanked open. I turn round to see if she has an order to give but a body crashes into mine, its head banging onto my chest. The area throbs with pain and I look to see that Seohyun was rubbing her forehead.

"Are you okay, my lady?" My pain seems to have subsided a bit the moment I see that she's hurt. I kneel down a bit to check her injuries and begin rubbing the red spot before it grows into a lump. At first, she hisses slightly but since the blow was not too heavy, she was well after a minute. 

"Mianhae! Jinja mianhae! I hope you're ok as well." She raises her hand as if to check whether I was bruised but withdraws it just before she could touch my chest. "Anyways, gomawo!" And she runs to where the bathroom is, not without me noticing her reddened face first.


Finally, another update!!

Hope you like the POVs of all the characters!! Next chapter will be interesting, I promise!! INTERESTING = JEALOUS AND OVERPROTECTIVE CHANGMIN AND DONGHAE