Chapter 8: Meeting new Friends

Seohyun's Butler

The trio parted for the second and third class for Joohyun was to take piano lessons while Minho and Jonghyun were to enjoy free periods. After bringing her to her designated room and promising they would pick her up for lunch, they left for the library for some computer time (they were too cool for books, at least that's what they thought).

Piano lesson was much more enjoyable than music theory for she was among the few at the Music Academy who enrolled in the class. Of course there were many who played the instrument and were good at it, but they were not necessarily as dedicated and passionate about it as she was. Joohyun could not say that she was exceptional or talented in playing the piano, however, she was very serious about it and had dedicated most of her time and energy in polishing her skills and technique. With her, it was always about interests and never ability because she believed that anyone is capable of anything as long they tried. 

Another reason why she had found her current classes much more appealing was that her classmates seemed to have no notion of who she was. There had been zero commotion when she had walked in and introduced herself. They simply gave her a friendly nod and smiled at her, which she shyly returned for surprisingly, she was the only girl in her class. The small room was quite empty with a grand piano sitting in the middle and one row of chairs arranged in a half-moon shape next to it. The teacher, Mrs. Choi, who was seated at the farthest end of the row, had a clear view of the players hands and posture while the students were to observe their fellow classmates's performance and critique it.

Joohyun entered the room with only one seat left, the one between Mrs. Choi and a boy who had a toothy grin and messy dark hair. Presumably, all the boys were trying their best not to be seated next to the teacher, who looked perfectly nice (not that the girl could judge correctly without watching her act).

"Finally! A girl for a change," Mrs. Choi had exclaimed with a wide smile which seemed to have surprised the other students. "I assume you are Miss Seohyun?"

Nodding, she answered with a bow, "Yes M'am, I am."

"And you have good manners as well." The teacher said, not without giving the boys a glare. "I guess you'll have to sit next to me, my dear." 

Giving the seemingly kind Mrs another bow, she took her place as indicated.

As soon as she sat down, her neighbour had put out his hand to greet her, flashing his crooked smile as he did so.

'"Annyeong! Jung Yonghwa imnida!"

"Annyeonghaseyo! Seo Joohyun imnida!" She returned the greeting as she shook his hands and bowed slightly.

"There's no need to be so formal with me," he replied. "By the way, isn't your name Seohyun."

She gave him a surprised look and realized he had not the slightest idea of who she was.

"Well, it's complicated. I hope you understand." She answered, somewhat embarassed.

"No problem, don't push yourself. So should I call you Seohyun or Joohyun?" 

"Maybe.... Seohyun for now?" 

The boy named Yonghwa gave her a reassuring nod. "Then Seohyun-ssi it is!"

One by one, she was introduced to her other piano buddies through her first friend in uni. The skinny boy with the adorable smile was Ryeowook and the last one, who was the epitomy of contradiction with his muscles and cute grin, was Nickhun. They all made her feel comfortable despite the overpowering masculine vibe that was in the room. For once since she stepped into the campus, she felt that her university experience was going to be awesome instead of frustrating with paparazzis on her feet every damn second.

For the whole class, everyone took turns to play their favorite songs and listened to their peers' comments about their performance. Joohyun got slightly nervous as each boy completed their tasks with excellent execution. She could tell that they were all talented in and devoted to piano, unlike her, who only had half of their qualities. As she sat timidly in front of the piano and staring at the black and white keys, she gently spreaded her slender fingers across the board and readied her feet at the pedal. With a cue from Mrs, Choi and a deep breath, she played her most loved tune ---  Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. It was not a really difficult piece to play but it reminded her of the ups and downs in her life and as she played, she could feel energy surging through her veins.

When she was done, she looked at her teacher and classmates, waiting for their response. The boys were clapping while Mrs. Choi had a satisfied smile.

"You may not be the most talented in this room but you sure pour your heart out when you play. Well done, Seohyun!" The older woman remarked as she skribbled something in her notebook.

"Aniyo, songsaeng-nim! Seohyun-ssi is of course talented! She practically brought the song to life!" Yonghwa shouted out in disagreement whilst his other friends nodded along and cat-called.

This made Joohyun rather embarassed for she had never received so much recognition and she thought that maybe her new classmates were just teasing her.

She headed back to her seat as Mrs. Choi shot daggers at her seatmate for being impolite. As the teacher called for a break, Yonghwa tapped on her shoulder to speak to her.

"You did a marvellous job!" He flashed his crooked grin.

"You all flatter me so! But I'm sure my performance wasn't as spectacular as you give it credit for." She replied, cheeks turning red.

"Of course not! Personally, I believe that emotions are more important than skills. What use is there to master all the notes and beats without injecting any feelings into the song? I, myself, most certainly lack in that department." Yonghwa explained his theory. 

Joohyun remained quiet, trying to absorb his words. Before long, class was resumed. 


"Goodbye!" Joohyun said as she waved at her three piano classmates and headed to Minho and Jonghyun. 

"My stomach is growling! Let's get to the canteen now!" The tan boy grumbled. And as if to prove his point, a rumbling noise sounded. "You hear that?" 

And the other two giggled. "Yeah, yeah! We get your point! So hurry up!" Joohyun said, as she picked up her pace, willing the two boys to chase after her.

When the trio had each gotten themselves a tray of food, the boys led her to a table of presumably rich kids for they were dressed in designer clothes and each had the latest electronic gadget in their hands. Some of the phones were so advanced that Joohyun swore that they were not to be released until next year. For a second, she felt like the normal schoolgirl Joohyun, ready to be bullied, instead of the socialite Seohyun, who had captured the hearts of many a day before. She stopped dead on her tracks until a familiar shape passed by, whispering, "I'll be keeping an eye." She immediately identified the voice as her butler's and all of a sudden, his simple words seemed to have worked as a medicine and calmed her all together.

Straightening up, she quickened her pace towards the table and introduced herself to the crowd before her buddies did the honor for her.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Seohyun, nice to meet you all!" She said with the most charming smile she could muster. She had not the lovely dimples that some girls had, but her smile was most definitely genuine and sweet.

Her action seemed to have caught Minho by surprise for he could not say a word. Luckily, Jonghyun, though equally shocked, was calm enough and backed her up.

"Yes, guys. She's our friend as well and today's actually her first day. Would it be okay if she joined us?"

A girl with wavy red hair and an incredible eye smile said in a most friendly tone. "Of course!! I'm Tiffany by the way! It's nice to finally see you after all those gossips."

The name struck Joohyun and she remembered a conversation she shared with a Mrs. Hwang at the party.

"Do you happen to be Mrs. Hwang's daughter?"

"Yes! Did you meet her yesterday? I hope she did not trouble you too much though." Tiffany replied, sticking out her tongue, gaining a giggle from Joohyun and the girls beside her. 

"Of course not, she was most nice. But she did tell me about your friends who are also fresh to the social scene."

"You mean Yuri, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung and Sunny here? They are my best friends and we wouldn't mind adding you to our group." 

At that, the five other girls beside her nodded in unison and introduced themselves one by one to her. They became quite friendly with each other, given the short time they spent with each other. The six ladies had forced Joohyun to sit at the middle with three girls on each side with the boys opposite to them. Apparently, all of them had boyfriends, approved by their parents, so they need not  have a butler following around them to school as the new girl needed. 

"Well, Seohyun-ssi," Tiffany said as lunch period was about to end. "We should totally hang out with each other more often!! How about you join us for lunch every single day from now on?" The other girls agreed enthusiastically.

"That would be great! I was wondering myself if I had to eat my meal alone. Thank you very much for your invitation!" Seohyun replied.

Before the red-haired girl could respond, Minho had put in a word. "As if Jonghyun and I would abandon you. We are good friends, you know?" This caused the girls to smirk as if they had observed something.

"I'm putting my bet Minho that Minho here treats Hyunnie more than a 'good' friend." Yuri commented lazily, gaining giggles from her fellow mates. This made the boy turn beet-red but clueless Joohyun seemed not to have noticed a single thing, still trying to process her new friend's words.

"Hyunnie, you must spend some more time with us so that we can educate you on 'love'." The tan y girl emphasized the last word whilst giving Minho a you-know-what-I-mean look.

Without waiting for Joohyun to answer, Tiffany continued. "How about you arrive early on the day of my birthday party this weekend and get ready together? We could even have a sleepover!!"

Joohyun accepted her proposition appreciatively and the group broke off for their individual lessons.


AN:

I know it's been a while for my standards but I've been having serious writer's block and fail to come up with anything remotely interesting...

I may have to change up my writing style to cope with the situation so hope you do not mind!! Anyways, Please feek free to drop in any ideas and questions you'd like to ask and I'll certainly try my best to adapt to your suggestion!! 

I can't stress this enough, but thank you everyone for ommenting, subscribing and upvoting!! Please keep them coming KEKE

Don't worry, I won't blackmail you into doing so by threatening not to update LOL

Btw, excuse the wrong grammar and mistakes :)