Chapter 10: The Photoshoot

Seohyun's Butler

Once again, sorry for the delay! Still, I hope you enjoy this chapter. :D


Taeyeon's POV

I was not the least surprised when my boss, Mr. Seo, requested that I arrange the photoshoot into Hyunnie's schedule. After all, he's been meaning to have her overtake the legacy Mrs. Seo left behind, all those years ago. As the sole socialite of the family, the little girl is of course expected to take up the role of spokesperson to the company. And I truly believe her fresh face will be well received, for who could resist such a pretty and sweet girl? At least I can't Keke. I just hope she doesn't get too nervous. Modelling is not really that hard of a job when one has confidence, but seeing how shy Hyunnie can get at times, I'm worried that she may get an earful from Mr. Song, who's notorious for being particularly mean and stingy and will definitely not hesitate to reprimand the boss' daughter when he gets angry.

Well, at least there's a pro around to look out for her. No, I don't mean me, keke, I'm way too short to be qualified as a model anyways, but Changminnie! Anyone who has eyes can see that he is good-looking and possesses an irresistable charm, he will be even more alluring if he puts on a smile. (Aish!! Why does he have to be such a snub?!) I've been around the Seo Inc. for quite some time, and I can still recall that the now-butler did some shoots and commercials for the boss during his training years in order to earn some extra bucks (or should I say, won? keke) for his family. He's quite a loving son, you know? Not that many do since he puts on a poker face all the time, so it's a secret between the boss, him and me. Maybe time will allow him to show that side to Hyunnie as well... Speaking of which, don't you think my little 'sister' and Changminnie are quite the match made in heaven? I can't say that cool and quiet kid cares very much for our princess but I feel something different between them. Aigoo! I forgot about the Golden Rule within the contract!! The lady and the butler should never fall in love!!! Pabo Kim Taeyeon!!! What have you been thinking? I guess I'll just have to let them be. If they are meant to be, so be it, but I mustn't mingle in this business. What a shame....

Changmin's POV

Why did noona have to tell Seohyun about my past? (I call Ms. Kim noona because she forced me to, even when she's a year younger than me, now it has become a habit. But I will never, and I mean NEVER call her noona when anyone's around) I just pray she doesn't reveal more than she should. Seohyun has no business in my personal life anyways, since she's no one to me other than my master.  But then, as a butler and guide to Seohyun's path to the upper class, I would have to teach her modelling skills whether noona had kept quiet or not. Mr. Seo would not have chosen me for this job otherwise had I not been the expert I'm now. Let's just hope Seohyun does not fail her task, or me, for that matter. Aish! What do I care about her failing me? She has no obligation, none at all, to answer to me. Our relationship is nothing personal and purely business. 

Well, let's put that thought at the back of my head since we've already arrived to the set and Mr. Song (I've worked with that hot-tempered man before) seems to be in a fit of anger. I can only catch short phrases like "boss's daughter", "late", "spoiled" and more. Naturally, he's furious that we are ten minutes behind schedule but there's nothing to do about it. Knowing how the renowned photographer can get mad at times, I have to warn Seohyun so that she can be prepared. 

I turn towards her and her cheeks are red, probably because she knows that Mr. Song's fury is partly her fault. Before I know what I'm doing, I've already leant down to her to whisper, "Don't mind him. Just change into the clothes as fast as you can and I'll guide you through all this." As I stand straight once more, I notice a smug grin on noona's face as if she knows something. I wonder what has amused her for I definitely don't have a secret to hide. Meanwhile, Seohyun took quite some time to respond to my words and she nods carelessly before rushing to the changing room where the stylists are waiting for her. 

Seohyun's POV

The moment I walked into the studio, I knew that we were late for Mr Song kept on cursing (at least I thought the red-faced man was him, for he had a camera around his neck). Not knowing if I should approach the man to apologize or wait for instructions from Taeyeon unnie, I decide to stand there quietly and wait. Suddenly, I sense the person beside me lean towards me and I freeze on the spot. I had not noticed beforehand who has been standing next to me, but the moment its voice whispers into my ear (for the third time; not that I'm counting), I feel goosebumps forming on my skin. His breath against my skin makes my legs go limp, and I just can't understand why he has to do that. I'm sure the reaction I experience everytime that butler of mine murmurs softly is typical for everyone and that there is not a special reason why I should feel that way. As soon as I register what he had said, I jog towards the back of the studio to get changed.

Meanwhile, I can hear unnie and Butler Shim talking, but they are not loud enough to let me hear their exact conversation. I wonder what is it that they are chatting about...

Taeyeon's POV

As the boss's secretary, I have been trained to be observant to assist him to the best of my abilities. My skill has always come in handy, especially when I have to adjust to Mr. Seo's sudden mood swings and make decisions on his behalf without him giving out a single order. I've never thought that it would be useful today, when I saw the interaction between Changminnie and Hyunnie. 

To be honest, Minnie's emotionless face has always made it difficult for me to directly understand his emotions. It was as if he was a robot which possessed no feelings and had a heart of stone. But upon witnessing how hard he worked for the comfort of his family, I know he must be a loving son. I begin to realize that he reveals his true thoughts through actions and not words or facial expressions. Having known him for a few good years, I have learned to comprehend him. So, when I saw him whispering to Hyunnie. I knew something was up. Then I seemed to recall how Minnie had interrupted every conversation that girl shared with other male guests just yesterday. Does Minnie likes Hyunnie? I don't know for sure but one thing's certain, our Ms. Seo is special to him. I'll have to talk to him about that.

"You did a good job there telling Hyunnie to hurry up." I say to Minnie as I go up to him. He raises an eyebrow as if contemplating why I should pick up a conversation with him.

"Why did you smirk back then?"  The question amuses me and I feel a smile creeping to my lips. "You're doing that again."

"Why? Don't I have the right to smile?" I challenge him.

"Just asking. If you don't want to tell, it's fine with me." He shifts his gaze towards the mad photographer who is putting on quite the show with his exaggerated hand gestures and furious mumbling. His coolness is sometimes really disturbing.

"Do you like Hyunnie?" I ask directly, not bothering to beat around the bushes anymore. If he wants straightforward, I'll give him that. I'm glad I did for he seems taken aback by my question. 

"What did you just say?"

"I said: Do you like Hyunnie?" I repeat my question once, this time opening my mouth wider so that there's no way he can play dumb and act like he doesn't understand it.

There was quite a long pause before he shakes his head in denial. "No. Why would you assume that?" 

I am slightly disappointed that he was one to deny his true feelings but he has always been like that. 

"It's just that you act differently around her."

"I do?"

I nod in response. "You seemed worked up when you saw her with other males during the party and I saw you whispering to her. You don't ever do that to any girls, especially your masters, not even to me, when we're so close." I nudge at him playfully and he scowls in return. "You must be mistakened."

"Say whatever you like, sir. Mind you though, I am the expert at reading minds here, not you." I smirk again and walk away to talk to Mr. Song, who obviously requires my comfort. I'll leave Changminnie some time alone to think it over.

Changmin's POV

Is noona speaking the truth? Do I really act strangely around Seohyun? I swear I didn't whisper against her ears on purpose but noona's right, I'm pretty sure I did no such thing back when I served Ms. Choi or Ms. Jung or all of the other ladies. A butler's motto is to always keep a distance with his lady. Have I crossed the line? If noona thinks this way, would Seohyun do too? Aish!! Such things are so troublesome. Now I'm certain that noona is only trying to mess with my head and make me perform badly. Nonetheless, I'll have to be careful from now on. Seohyun may be a different kind of girl, but my duty is to serve her and I mustn't ever compromise our positions. 

Seohyun's POV

I am aware of my butler's warning so I try to change into the outfit the stylists have handed me as efficiently as possible. If only Mr. Shim had been there to assist me, I would be fully dressed in a matter of seconds. But then, when it comes to styling the clothes the right way, it is better that I relied on the pros or else Mr. Song may get angry once more. I'm glad that the photographer's voice has died down, so he's probably in a calmer state. As soon as I'm done, I walk out to have my hair and makeup done. Within 5 minutes, I have my hair curled into soft waves and dressed in a bridal-like dress that had a lacy pink vest and a chiffon skirt. It is quite difficult for me to walk in the dress for it is long and heavy. In the end, the stylists pick up my train so that I am able to move around. As usual, my butler is as stiff as a rock and I don't even want to be bothered to talk to him. If he's willing to guide me, I'll listen, if not, I'll just have to rely on my instincts. 

"Mianhe, Mr. Song," I bow at the photographer as soon as I see him. A smile appears on his frowny face, which shocks me.

"At least you're a polite girl. Okay, lie down on the floor there and I'll shoot you from above."

"If it's not too troublesome, would you mind giving me more information about the shoot? I'm new to all of this and I don't wish to mess things up."

"A professional girl as well!" He grins. "This is actually a royalty themed shoot so act as soft and regal, even a sense of ego, if you can manage. Don't worry, you should do okay."

I nod my head and quickly move to the area where I am supposed to lie down. The floor is covered with tulle and as I lay on them, it seems as if I am buried in the fabric. I admit that during the first few shots, I was quite stiff and rigid, as if I was drowning in a sea. But slowly, with some instructions from Mr. Song, I begin to enjoy myself and soon enough, I feel relaxed and at ease. 

"Good!" "Excellent!" "Softer!! Softer!! Yes!!" are all what Mr. Song says after the initial 10 shots.

"I think we've got it! Go change into your next outfit and come back! Be quick!" He exclaims and I hurry back to the changing room as I was told.

When I came out once more with a slouchy sweater and a long skirt on, I notice Taeyeon unnie and Mr. Song looking into a computer. 

"You did a marvellous job, Hyunnie! I could have been fooled that you're a pro!" Unnie grins at me as she sees me approaching them.

"Are you sure this is the first time you have done this? 'Coz it doesn't look like it! I do have to credit my phototaking skills though." Mr. Song says, eyes still fixated on the screen. I can say that I'm no longer afraid of him.

"Of course, Mr. Song," unnie says, giving him a pat on the back. "We can proceed to the next shot then!"

For the next hour, I changed into different outfits and everything went on fluidly, that was until I came out with a red dress and the photographer announced that my butler was to join me in this photo.

Apparently, the two men collaborated in past projects and Mr. Song is quite fond of Mr. Shim. 

"Well, Miss. Seo, you need not do anything but face your back at Changmin-ssi. He will sit at the piano and cut out most of the work for you." Mr. Song orders. I oblige obediently but I'm struggling to maintain my relaxed state of mind.  The thought of having my butler join me just unsettles me. Maybe it's because I'm afraid that his presence would reveal how unskilled I in fact am. Nonetheless, I'm glad that no interaction is required between the two of us. 

I do as I am told, standing on one side with my head turning sideways as if I'm shy and thoughtful. I have not the least idea what that butler of mine is doing, though I have an uncomfortable feeling that someone is staring straight at my back and burning a hole through it. Good enough for me, this shot took only five minutes and I was off to change into my final outfit. 

Changmin's POV

I was sincerely surprised when Mr. Song requested me to join the shoot. But then, despite his outrageous temper, we are old friends so I dared not reject his invite. Seohyun seems quite astonished that I am to join her yet she did not say a single word of objection. Before she came out, the photographer had told me that the emotion I was to translate was longing. To be precise---- longing for Seohyun. I am not too happy (especially after the conversation with noona) about the concept but even for a catalogue, the photos must be realistic and alluring to the customers. If that's what Mr. Song and my boss want for this shoot, I'll have to give them that, whether I like it or not.

As I sit at the piano, I'm glad that Seohyun's front is hidden from my view. At least she can't see the way I'm looking at her, or to be presice, forced to look at her. I try to steer clear of any thoughts as Mr. Song goes on snapping but my mind begins to fill with images of Seohyun: how she fainted at the airport, how she seemed unaffected by me, how she danced in my arms, how she shuddered as I whispered and more. It is too overwhelming for me to handle and as I am about to ask for a break, the moody man announces that the shot is completed and tells both of us to change. 

The moment I emerge from the changing room, dressed in a new suit, I bump into a person and cause her to slip. Luckily, I am able to hold her arm in time and she misses the fall. 

'Mainhae." I say and she repsonds with a nod, head still bent to see if her dress was ripped in the process.

"Oh! It's you!" she gasps as she finally looks up. No words can form on my lips as I realize that the girl in the soft grey gown is actually Seohyun. As much as I want to deny, she looks like the lady that Mr. Seo hopes she'll become one day. It does fit her well, not too loud and fussy, but subtle and elegant.

"You're joining me for another shoot?" she asks when she notices how quiet I am.

"Yes" is my short response and I stretch my arm to tell her to go ahead of me. 

Seohyun's POV

My encounter with Changmin-ssi was totally awkawrd. I just hope Mr. Song does not come up with anymore strange ideas. But I am to be disappointed for his request for the final shoot is for me to sit on the arm of the sofa whilst my butler rests his head on my lap. I will myself not to blush. Luckily, the makeup on my face was quite thick (to my initial dismay. Now, I just thank God that the artist had piled so much powder on me) and my pink cheeks fail to show through. I pray that both of us will do a good job so that we can get this shot over with quickly and wrap up the whole shoot.  Well, things did not go as smoothly as planned because we (yes, even the mighty and professional Shim Changmin) both seemed ill at ease in our positions. 

This started with me not knowing where to place my hands, I did not want to have more skin contact with Mr. Shim than necessary so I lay my palm on my lap but Mr. Song was not too happy about it, saying that we two looked too distant from each other and suggested that I place it on his face or hair, as if comforting him. I was most reluctant, yet I did it because Mr. Song seemed to be getting more and more agitated by the second. His face is smooth and warm under my palm, without any stuble to prick my fingers. I cannot believe that a cold man like him could have any warmth seep through him, I guess I was wrong. He seems quite eager with his looks to be so well-shavened. Aigoo!! I must take my mind off him and focus back on the shoot.

"You look too stiff there. Relax your neck and lean in to Seohyun-ssi's lap. I'm sure she doesn't mind, do you?" Mr. Song says as he guides my partner. I want so much to yell out that I do but I hold back my tongue and shake my head. 

"See? I told you she doesn't! So just act like you're in your element there. Give me more of that feline grace you possess!! More!! I said more!" Our photographer shouts. I wonder how one can possibly relax when he or she is under the pressure of such a fierce man, like how Changmin-ssi and I are. Yet, I can feel the weight on my lap increase so my partner is indeed trying his best to suit Mr. Song's request. 

"I apologize for all of this. Just bear with me for another minute." I thought I was hallucinating but I can clearly see my butler's lips moving and forming those words.

"Okay," I whisper back. 

"This is still something lacking." Mr. Song pauses and puts down his camera. My partner and I dare not move an inch and remain motionless the whole time. "Ah! I know!" he suddenly lifts up his head and exclaims, "Both of you need more interaction! Seohyun-ssi, rest your left arm on Changmin-ssi's shoulder so that your palm sits on his chest. As for your other hand, just place it on your lap. And you! Changmin-ssi! Hold her hand! As if you do not wan to let her go!"

His sudden outburst shocks us but we do exactly as told, though not without hesitation, for I am blushing fervently. We are lucky that Mr. Song looks a bit more cheerful than before because of his "brilliant" plan and is not bothered with our slow pace of reenacting his "dream scene".

"Now just relax and think of someone you like."

The moment he says that, I can feel the heart under my palm pick up its speed, and as if on queue, the face of Shim Changmin rushes into my head. I don't know why it did but before I could come round, Mr Song lets out a cheer.

"Wonderful!! That's a wrap!! Thank you everyone!!" 

Photos from Seohyun x TVXQ Ceci Nov 2012. In this story, Yunho is not present in the shoot :P


AN: Please leave a comment as you wish!! I'm more than happy to read them :D