Chapter 12

Snatched

        Weeks had passed without a word of Onew nor Minho, Everyone else seemingly busy with their own tasks and Jonghyun playing the biggest role of babysitter anyone had seen in a long time. I myself felt the discomfort of watching him go through with something no one had seen coming. Due to the lag of productivity on Onew's end, Jonghyun himself had gone out of his way to acquire the paperwork needed to finalize this plan of his, and with looks of horror from Yesung and a not so surprised look from Kibum, He had finished the process just short of a week. He hadn't looked at me often in those long seven days, and I felt a creeping sensation of isolation in the 12 by 16 bedroom I was confined in most hours of the day.
         Jonghyun had grown slightly more agitated every passing day, and why was unbeknownst to me, I left him be, and slowly I found myself becoming near mute. Never spoken to and so never uttering a sound. Watching him check up on me almost out of paranoia. Like clockwork to assure himself I hadn’t snuck off after having made him do something so drastic just to appease the anxiety of a boy he most likely just pitied. I still questioned why it was he was being so kind, why out of all the people he had trafficked it was me who he took in. Never touched and salvaged the 'innocence' that was so valuable. In reality I should have been sold on my first night, or so Kibum says in his failure of a hushed voice when the others think I’m asleep. 
         

      Sleep wasn't something I was getting much of. Odd considering I was almost guaranteed rescue from the auction to some old stranger, but it was still very real that I was in a house full of murderous, sick and twisted men disguised as decent people. I was a pawn, and a troublesome one at that. I had overspent my stay and no one here seemed used to having the same boy here for more than two weeks’ tops. It was only a matter of time before Jonghyun realized his mistake and either forced himself onto me or threw me to the wolves. I was just playing the wait game.

       It was somewhere in the middle of the week; a Wednesday or a Thursday, I wasn't sure what days were which anymore only that two weeks had passed since the official status of my purchase. Nothing else had changed however, and I was just as lonely as I had ever been, more so now that I had been thoroughly shunned by the only other person who had once showed concern for my wellbeing. Today was bit off though, having opened my eyes to a partially lit room and the flat an eerie silence. I couldn’t help but think It was never this quiet. usually Someone was either arguing or having a boisterous conversation about something I could never make out. Sounds of noise in the kitchen and footsteps all along the hallway outside the bedroom door a constant reminder I was being guarded. However, as I woke up from a short nap I had accidentally slipped into out of sheer boredom, it almost occurred to me that the building was empty. That no one was around, and I was almost definitely alone. 
          I was quick to laugh this theory off. There was no way, it made little sense as to why I’d be left unattended and the others weren’t so irresponsible as to leave me with no supervision. Still, I ached with curiosity and soon I sat up, shaking away a brief head rush as I stood too soon and wobbled my way over to the door. Every move I made was careful, each step slow, listening out for any shuffle on the other side. I waited a solid five minutes before having pushed the door open and stepping out into the hall, only to find it empty, leading into an equally abandoned living room and soon discovered empty kitchen. Something wasn't right...
     

      "Hello?" I called out boldly. Slightly on edge now with my new discovery, less cautious now as I turned back on my heal and proceeded to check every other possible room, as though it were a weird game of hide and seek. Ten minutes later and a few unlikely hiding spots checked, my laughable theory had been proven. I was alone. I didn’t know how long it had been or even how much longer it would be, if the others decided to return. There had to be some type of note, some sign or explanation, but the more I looked, the less I found. I had eventually approached the front door, having opened it to check if someone had been standing outside, guarding the place or returning, but there was nothing but an empty corridor. It had only then dawned on me the very real opportunity I had. Leaning against the door frame, right hand holding the door open I froze. I could leave. I could easily run away. To the police even. I didn’t have to be around these people, I didn’t have to be some prisoner, some hostage and pawn. 
      The longer I stood there, the more realistic it became, but when it came to taking a step past the eave, I was immobile. I eyed the staircase just left of the door, but I felt no desire to bolt towards it. I frowned, trying to shake whatever this feeling was. I was flustered instantly. It wasn’t fear of being caught that held me back, this was what bothered me. I couldn’t get why I was pulling back so hard on the idea, and within a minute I had stepped back and allowed the door to swing shut. I was no longer scared of what was in here. I was scared of what I’d get myself into out there. I didn’t know of any family, or memories other than whatever this was. This was all I really knew. Who’s to say it was any better anywhere else. Maybe I had grown sick in the head too . I had grown attached to the only thing I knew. And I had learned to truly understand what stockhome felt like. 
         I felt disturbed for a moment, backing away from the door and taking a few shallow breaths before turning my back on it. I suddenly wanted to get away from it, and so instead I had moved into the kitchen, idle for a few minutes before deciding to rifle through the fridge. Hunger had gotten the better of me and I had hoped food would distract me from my own twisted thoughts. The boys hadn't done much shopping the past few days, however I managed to scavenge enough for a make shift sandwich. bread, mayonnaise and cheese. Something was better than nothing and soon I was leaning against the counter as I ate. The quiet was unsettling, and oddly enough I disliked feeling this alone, the sounds of my chewing too audible and soon causing me to lose my appetite. I had finished half the sandwich in a few bites before wastefully throwing it away. Still I remained against the counter, listening to the tick of the clock.


         "-IDIOT, I TOLD YOU TO STAY!" A loud, enraged voice shattered the silence rather suddenly and I nearly jumped out of my skin, soon after hearing the loudest slam of a door hitting a wall as it was forced open and rushed footsteps entering the flat.  I hadn't the courage to move, frozen beside the kitchen island and hearing through the walls multiple other doors being thrown open. Silence followed before I heard Jonghyun snarl, followed by a heavy blow to the wall and a whimper from someone else. Probably Yesung as he had then proceeded to yell back,
         "H-he was asleep, I stepped out for two seconds!" He responded, however nowhere near as loud as the other who seemed to be scouring the rooms. I then realized I had left my bedroom without the knowledge of any others, and swallowing the lump of fear in my throat I took a tiny step forward in the direction of the hall, still hidden behind the walls. 
         "Do you ing think? Do we EVER leave them unattended? ARE YOU A ING MORON?!" Jonghyun shouted, confirming what I believed to be an argument over me. So it had been a mistake to leave me alone, that much I knew. However As I moved closer to the edge of the archway separating the kitchen and hallway, I caught Kibum in the corner of my eye, leaning against the wall and looking down at his feet. My movement had caused his head to snap up, eyes widened and soon glancing over to the others, standing a bit straighter. 
         "Did you think he wouldn’t escape the moment he realized he was left alone?!" Seriously Yesung you-"
        

     "Jonghyun..." Kibum uttered, moving now to stand in between the two to get his attention. By now I had moved farther out, catching sight of Jonghyun and face turning cold at the amount of rage he was radiating, the knuckles of his right hand raw and the wall beside him damaged with a deep dent. How relieved would he be to realize I hadn't left? I wish I could have thought like that. but instead the only thoughts in my mind were those of crippling fear. 
         "Kibum, step back-" He began, having pushed the other to the side and eyes rising only to meet with my own instantly. I had now been in full site as I had inched my way towards the middle of the hallway, hands clasped in front of me and unable to hold long eye contact before dropping my gaze to the floor. Yesung too had turned around in utter shock, and Kibum sighed. 
         "He's right there." He said in exasperation and disinterest, pushing Jonghyun away and now moving towards the living room to my left, brushing past me. I dared turn away from the frozen stance of Jonghyun to glance back, following Kibum's motion before another, unfamiliar body caught my attention. He'd never been here before...
         Before I could make much sense of who he had been, Jonghyun had come back alive, and hearing the fast approaching stomps I quickly turned towards him. Almost instantly I was blinded, feeling my body crash to the floor and an unbearable ache ignite all along my right cheek and jaw. A high pitched cry filling my ears. I was disoriented for a few seconds, the wind having been knocked out of my lungs and body recoiling out of instinct against the carpet. Never had Jonghyun hit me that hard. Never had I expected it, and almost immediately my eyes pooled with the pain that now spread, hand cupping my face and beginning to squirm away in fear of being hit again with such force. 
          

     "WHO TOLD YOU TO LEAVE THE ROOM?!" He shouted, the intensity of his voice so close causing me to flinch away once more. I had then noticed the soft cries in my ear were me, and I fought to keep them in. I could taste blood at that point, and the inside of my cheek stung like nothing I had ever felt. The outside had begun to throb worse with pain. Again he stepped forward as though to strike again and I was quick to scream, "I was hungry!" Moving away from him until my back hit the front door, knees pulled up to my chest and head buried behind my arms. This was what I had forgotten. This was who Jonghyun was. This was nothing new. I had simply disillusioned myself into thinking he was kind. How stupid...
         "Jonghyun, enough... Why punish him, he did nothing wrong." I heard Yesung chime in concern, truthfully surprising me that he had said anything when moments before he had been so close to receiving the same punishment for losing me. A long few seconds passed before I had peaked through my arms, finding Yesung grabbing Jonghyun’s arm, and trying to get him to look at him, my own eyes never once looking for Jonghyun. I didn't want to see them. "He didn't escape, he was hungry. He was in the kitchen." Yesung reiterated, followed by Kibum who had added, "He never intended on leaving, you idiot." 
      Jonghyun grunted, pulling his arm free from the others grip roughly and turning back. " you guys." He grumbled, shaking off his hand from the impact seconds before and disappearing around the corner into the bathroom. 
         

     I was far more than shaken, trembling violently and resisting the urge to spit out the mouthful of saliva and blood filling my mouth. I felt nauseated, and being able to tell, Yesung knelt down and sighed in annoyance. "you're ed..." He mumbled referring to my appearance, pulling at my arm to get a look at my face which I quickly refused. "You need ice." He soon added before standing back up. He had left only to return with a plastic bag of ice wrapped in a paper towel, casually gesturing for me to take it and leaving when I did. It hurt to put pressure against my face, but I managed to somewhat ice the swelling I could feel now inside of my mouth and along my cheek bone. My crying had only ceased a small degree. 
         "Hey, take care of this kid, I’ll talk to Jonghyun." Kibum said, Yesung moving out of site to attend to whatever it was Kibum had been referring to and soon replaced by the site of him moving towards the back of the apartment. Th
is kid...?______________________________________________________________________

     "Get up." 
An hour or so had passed before I heard the low, menacing voice of Jonghyun standing above me. Again, I had flinched out of gut reaction, shaking my head quickly and pushing the sloshy bag of lukewarm water away from me with my foot. The ice had long melted and the ache in my face had calmed, my hand had still remained over it though. Jonghyun gave no chance for rejection as I felt him grip my forearm and yank me up to stand, legs sore from being in the same position so long and balance dodgy for a moment. "I said up." He growled, pulling me from the front door and dragging me toward the bedroom. Again I shook with the fear of whether or not I’d be punished further for leaving the room. Never had I expected him to be so angry at something as small as that, but again I reminded myself this was simply who he was. I didn’t have to be in the wrong to be punished. It was whatever Jonghyun felt like that day. 
       "P-please don’t..." I whimpered, voice unable to get much louder than that, managing to pull myself up to the edge of the bed and immediately scooting back against the covered window. " I-I’m sorry I didn’t listen; I w-won’t do it again I promise." I said quickly, trying to spare myself of any other strikes that he may give. When I opened my mouth to apologize once more, I heard the door shut and Jonghyun sigh in irritation.
    "Shut up." He sighed, not seeming as angry as he had been before but still fairly agitated. It was different though, and I couldn’t tell if he was agitated with me or something else. I did as told anyway, and peering up slightly, I watched as he moved towards the bed and plopped against the edge, pushing a hand through his hair and rubbing his face soon after. He was troubled? 
    A few minutes past like that, both of us sitting in silence, I watching him silently as he seemed to mull over something in his head. Eventually he turned, and it was obvious his entire demeanor had shifted. 
    “Come here…” He said softly, and of course I instantly shook my head, warranting another sigh.

     “Please,” He tried again, and this time when being asked so nicely I could not refuse, carefully moving towards his side and keeping my head low. He seemed fairly relieved I had listened to him, and turning himself to face me he lifted a hand. I made a soft noise and he paused, shaking his head and reassuring me he wasn’t going to hit me again. “Just let me see.” He said, successfully moving a hand through my hair to push it to the side and tilt my face up. I watched as his expression turned, a rather disturbed remorse causing his eyebrows to scrunch and his lips to press together. I myself had not seen my face, and I didn’t want to. It hurt enough, and I could feel the swell. There had to have been bruising, and I didn’t care to see myself like that. 
    “I…” he hesitated, and I wasn’t very surprised to see guilt begin to fill his eyes. 
    

      “I put ice on it…” I whispered, having lowered my gaze now, pulling away from his hand. I wouldn’t say it was okay. Truthfully it wasn’t but this was where I stood and in this situation he was allowed to do such things to me. Take his anger out on me, or whatever it was he was feeling in the moment. I couldn’t retaliate. 
    “I didn’t mean…” He tried again, closing his eyes for a moment and shaking his head with a deep breath. “I thought you ran. I was shocked, angry.” He explained, and yet it fell on deaf ears. I knew. And yet I felt awful regardless. I really didn’t care what the explanation was, and so I soon cut him off. 
    “This is how it is. I know.” I mumbled. “I don’t expect anything else. So it doesn’t matter. I’ll heal.” I looked up to find the other’s eyes still closed and once again shaking his head. He hadn’t liked my answer, and guilt only bled through his eyes more once they opened. 
  

     “I’m sorry.” He breathed, and I hadn’t been expecting an apology to begin with so I was slightly taken aback by the sincerity in his tone.

Stop. Don’t let him fool you. You’re a toy. I told myself.
  

      “You did nothing wrong…” He whispered, reaching forward once more to hold my battered cheek in his palm and brush his thumb along a certain pattern. Probably the discoloration in my skin, stained purple and blue.

No, I won’t forgive him this time. He’s abusive. He hurt me.
    

     Gently his other hand reached to hold my other cheek, slow in every movement so as not to scare me, leaning close and grazing his lips across my cheek in a shockingly tender action, another silent apology.

I can’t forgive him.
    

     “You stayed put like a good boy, I shouldn’t have hit you.” He whispered, and I began to feel myself already melting. Despite the sting in my cheek, I began to lean towards him.

I won’t.
    

     Pulling his face away he sighed before meeting my gaze, already b with tears of frustration with my lack of will. “It hurts doesn’t it?” He wondered in concern, again brushing against the bruise lightly. The soft touch and voice, I didn’t stand a chance. Dammit.

I have to.
 

     A few tears spilled when I nodded my head, breath hitching slightly and releasing a soft cry. I couldn’t remain stoic much longer. “It hurts.” I stammered, tears wiped away as soon as they fell, a look of recognition on his face as his question had been answered. 
Just as he was during his affectionate episodes, he pulled my smaller body into his and rocked softly to the side in comforting motions, patting my hair down and trying to appease the new sobs I released.
     “I know, my anger got the better of me. I promise it won’t happen again.” He said, tone still gentle but much more firm in meaning now. I wasn’t so much crying due to the pain, but more so because of the betrayal I felt towards myself. I was sick. Taking comfort in this man’s arms, and yet a part of me didn’t want to get better, I wanted to be comforted. I thrived off of his affectionate moments and sweet words of remorse. I craved them. And If it meant further abuse just to receive more of this, part of me wanted it. And it was saddening.

     It was a while before my sobs died down, the rocking only coming to a halt when I began to quiet down. I was exhausted, but sleep wasn’t something I wanted to do, and instead I clung to him more. As though realizing my twisted desire made it stronger. He could tell I didn’t want to part and so he didn’t force me, probably figuring it was his way of making up for his rash actions prior. By now he had pulled me into his lap, coddling me and allowing me to rest against him. 
     “Why didn’t you run?” He suddenly asked, breaking the newfound silence and causing me to look up in confusion. He met my look and offered a brief smile. “I’m just curious, you were alone. You could have.” He noted. I only sort of knew the answer myself and so I shrugged, looking down at my own lap in a moment of thought. 
      “I’m more scared of being outside alone than here.” I whispered after a while. “I don’t know where I live, or where I’d go.” 
Another moment of silence followed before he sighed, and a part of me felt he knew what was going on. What was happening to me. He knew I knew he wasn’t a good person, and to say I was less afraid of him than anything else spoke volumes. He pulled away carefully, I too parting from him although reluctantly and taking the space next to him instead. My throat was sore from crying and my eyes felt puffy, however I didn’t hesitate to look up at him when he cleared his throat.
     “There’s something I need to show you.” He said, standing from his position on the mattress and beckoning for me to get up too. I did so and was soon led out of the bedroom and back out into the hall.

     " I’m sorry you’re involved.” He added, still walking into the living room as he spoke. Clueless as to what he meant, I followed close behind and entered the living room with him, bowing my head slightly towards Kibum who looked up at me and hummed in acknowledgment. He was standing in front of the couch, looking at something with interest. This caused me to strain to peer around him and Jonghyun both, and that was when I noticed the boy I had seen earlier, unconscious and laying on his side, breathing low. He had a small cut along his temple and he was relatively dirty. Lowering my sights, I noticed the binding around his wrists. Oh.
     

     “He was homeless. Cute enough with no one who’ll miss him.” Kibum said in a flat tone towards the other, Jonghyun nodded slightly before leaning down to turn the kid’s face up and get a better look at him, humming in approval and releasing him just as quick, earning a soft incoherent mumble from the unconscious individual. 
     “He’ll do. Nice catch.” He praised, moving away from Kibum and passed me. I knew he wanted me to follow him to the opposite couch, however I was stuck staring. The boy looked no older than me, but he had rounder features and thicker lips. He was cute. I didn’t doubt he had been drugged, and as I stared a bit longer I felt numb. They were going to sell him off, and he was going to be abused worse than I ever would be. This poor boy… He needed a bath.
      “Taemin.” Called Jonghyun, snapping me back to the moment. I hummed, turning towards him and where he sat, holding a small tube of something I couldn’t identify.    “Let me treat your cheek.” He said, aware of my previous staring and urging me to move away from the stranger. I nodded without much reaction, moving across the room to sit on his lap once more and silently accept the smearing of ointment onto my face. This was my life now. I wasn’t going to run away; they all knew that now. Seeing their knew toy and knowing i had already expected it,

I was no better than them.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

I finally updated...ugh im so glad, i didnt want to give up on this because i like the idea of the story i just wish i was a better writer so i could execute my plot better. anyway im in college now but i will be trying to make time for this. my health is better too ^^

i know i always say im back so i will just say i will try to update more. i wanted this to be longer too but i just wanted to get this out there.

Can you guess who the knew stranger is?