Chapter 1

Snatched

 

     Where was I?

      It was hard to believe darkness could be this penetrating. For a while, My eyes struggled to focus on what wasn't there. My head ached and I allowed my eyes to close. The steady hum of an engine, accompanied by my constant chattering teeth were the only sound i could hear. And by the way I was jostled ever so often I could tell I was in the back of a van. 

    I constantly struggled with the bindings around my wrists, which were tied behind my back, in some hopes of breaking free, or atleast loosening them from their tight grip. But with every movement i made, the metal wires only dug deeper into my skin. The searing pain had become so un-bearable, i eventually had to stop, allowing myself to just lay there, eyes heavy, feelings drained.

    Occasionally i'd let my mind wander. What day is it? What time is it? But everytime i tried to reach into the back of my mind for the answers, To the day of my kidnapping, something in me pushed it farther back. As time went on i just stopped thinking. I couldn't afford to scare myself with thoughts of whether or not i was going to die. Those thoughts were best kept hidden. Of course i tried to call out. Something. anything. But my throat was dry. And all that escaped my lips were small whispers. I was thirsty. So soon enough i abandoned that idea.

    I couldn't tell the difference between hours, minutes, days. But i became drowsy and soon did i drift in and out of sleep, unable to concentrate on anything but the warmth of unconsciousness.

    It was in the midst of sleeping when voices intruded my dreams. It took me a few moments to realize they hadn't been my imagination, and the voices of men were now coming from outside the van. The humming of the engine had stopped.

    A loud bang and the screech of metal doors swinging open rang in my ears and the darkness was instantly replaced with a blinding light. Sitting myself up, I slumped against the cold metal behind me and peered through squinted eyes.

    " Rise and shine!" Yelled a voice, It was exeptionally deep and held a certain tone of menace. I sank further back at the unfamiliarity in his voice.

      " Rest well?" A different voice asked. Having adjusted, my eyes could now focus on the three males that stood at the entrance of the van. One was tall and had a solid build. His hair was styled to the side. I assumed he was the one who spoke first. The second and the third wern't as tall as him but were almost just as solid as he was. One was a bit thicker and wore a smirk, but other than that was silent. The third who i predicted was the youngest, had his hands in his pocket, lollipop sticking from his mouth. The look on his face told me he had been the mocking voice who had spoken second. In the end, It wasn't hard to conclude this was a struggle i'd never win. That being the reason why when the eldest told one of them to grab me, i hadn't resisted as much as i'd of liked to. Instead i bowed my head and hid my face from their glaring eyes.

      " Cooperative today are we?" said the thicker one, who had been the one to grab me. i denied him any eye contact nor a response and continued to stare at the ground. The youngest who had a grin pulling at the edges of his mouth went to stand in front of me so that i was trapped between him, and the van. I had no where to look but at him and i cringed. He bent slightly in order to look at me through my bangs.

     "Why so quiet?" He asked.

       I didn't believe he expected an answer, so i hadn't responded, instead I focused on his chin instead of his piercing eyes. 

    A loud, deafening smack resinated around my ears at that moment. It had been so swift that if it hadn't been for the hot stinging in my left cheek, i probably would have never realised i had been hit.

     " That wasn't rhetorical." He sang bitterly. I bit my lip and fought the welling of my eyes, an instant reaction of getting slapped. That was when the oldest placed his hand on his shoulder.

     " Yesung. Enough." He said, " We hurt him, Boss'll hurt us." He added.

   " But we alway-"

    " Not today."

        Yesund scoffed but let it go with a shrug, Glancing at me once more before stepping aside. I took a silent moment of appreciation to the eldest who was seemingly more humane, or atleast less cruel.

     It was silent as the three looked around, it was the thicker one who spoke.

      " He's late." He muttered.

   I heard Yesung scoff then add, " Or we're early."

     More moments passed before i grew restless and began to fidget, causing  bindings to dig deeper into my wrists. I couldn't help but whimper at the pain, feeling warm droplets hit my palms.

     " Yah, stop fidgeting!" Yesung ordered. I winced at the stinging and and clenched my jaw. 

    " It hurts." I pleaded in desperation to be untied. At my words, the other two quickly snapped their heads in our direction. It was also the first time i'd spoken.

     The thicker one spoke again, 

   " Yesung!"

     " I'm not touching him!" He defended, raising his hands up for them to see. The thicker one walked to where Yesung stood behind me,

  " Then why is he saying-" He trailed off, his words followed by an aggravated sigh. " He's bound too tight you !" He groaned. I felt him hover closer, Then suddenly the pain lessened. I sighed in relief and began rubbing my sore wrists. I frowned. There were two identical gashed along each of my inner-wrists, where the skin was rubbed raw. Dried blood trailed along the inside of my palm. I looked up to find all eyes on Yesung.

     " Hey, It's not my fault. Kangin tied him up." He shouted. And with that, a whole new argument sprouted.

 " Siwon told you to tie him up. Don't try to pass the blame here."  Kangin yelled. I internally shook my head. Atleast  i knew their names. I realized they partially had forgotten my presence by the way they left me secluded from their usual watchful eyes. The idea of running occured to me, but as quickly as it came, i pushed it aside, I don't even know what part of town this is.

     The quiet sound of foot-steps awoke me from my thoughts.

  " Nice to know you guys are alright." Said a new voice. I looked up in surprise. " Now what exactly are you all bickering about?"