Meeting You

Alone

“What are you doing here?” Kang Joo asks, puzzled at Namsoon’s presence in her workplace, a convenient store located near school.

“None of your business.” Namsoon retorts, a scowl on his face.

“Can’t I be worried about you?”

“No, you can’t.” He moves into the next aisle, trying to ignore her.

“Why not? Are we not friends?” Kang Joo follows after, determined to try and understand him.

“Don’t know the meaning of friends.” Namsoon snaps back, noticing another worker on the other side.

“Yah, stop ignoring me.”

“Would you stop…?” Namsoon turns to face Kang Joo, but the sight of a familiar face stops him. “It’s you.” He exclaims with surprise.

“Oh, hi.” The other replies with a look of confusion.

“Don’t you ‘hi’ me. I haven’t seen you in days and all I get is a ‘hi’?”

“I’m unaware that we made arrangements to meet.”

“Well…we didn’t. I just kinda…expected you to…”

“Were you looking for me?” She asks with a smile. “Sorry, if that’s the case.”

“Yah, Go Namsoon.” Kang Joo interrupts, pissed at how easily the other dismisses her. “Am I invisible?”

Ignoring the angry girl, he grabs the other girl’s hand, pulling her out of the store. Dragging her down the street, he doesn’t stop until he reaches the park and the bench, their bench. He lets the wrist go, frowning at the redness. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s fine.” She sighs and closes her eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun on her face. “It’s nice out, despite the coldness.”

“I didn’t know you worked. I mean, not that I know a lot about you. I don’t even know your name. I just thought you’ll be going to school and since you’re in this neighborhood, I thought you would go to the same school I did and…” He stops is rant and turns away. “I’m sorry.”

“So…your name is Go Namsoon, huh?” She smiles at the nervousness. “Kang Joo always talk about a friend who’s difficult to get alone with, but he’s a kind person, just a little lost and alone with no one to understand him and possibly suffering from some kind of breakup and sulking over it like a lovesick puppy.”

“W-what? She said all that?”

“Okay, I’ll admit it. The parts about being lost and suffering, I added that.”

“Are you some kind of mind reader?” He chuckles, smiling for the first time since Heungsoo’s departure.

“You seem happy.”

“Aniyo. I just…” He turns away with a frown. “I miss having someone to talk to.”

“You were talking to Kang Joo.”

“That’s not talking, that’s her yelling.” Namsoon corrects with a nod of his head, slightly annoyed by the said girl. “She’s annoying and always tries to do this and that.”

“That’s what friends do.” She rubs her hands together, shivering slightly at the breeze.

“You feel more like a friend than she does.” His words surprises even himself. “Sorry…”

“It’s fine.” Shivering again, she turns to the awkward looking boy. “Hey, friend. Come on, it’s cold.” She stands up, shifting her feet at the coldness and pulling her jacket close.

“Where are we going?”

“To get something warm to drink.” She starts heading out the park before making sure the other is following. “Don’t make me drag you.”

 

 


So, what does this girl have to do with Namsoon? Who is she?