I don't...friends don't...

Alone

Namsoon smirks at the thought. ‘I’m Tsunami, Tsunami. I don’t need a girl looking after me, especially her.’ Entering the park, he sits down in the same spot he’s been sitting in since elementary. Sighing heavily, his thoughts return to four weeks ago, when Heungsoo won the soccer game and told him the news. Lying down on the wooden bench with an arm behind his head, he looks up at the branches and leaves of the tree.

Namsoon ah. I’m leaving tomorrow.” Heungsoo reminds, trying to get a reaction out of his best friend.

That so?”

Aren’t you going to say goodbye?”

Goodbye.” Namsoon flips through the pages of the magazine, despite his lack of interest.

That’s it?” Heungsoo asks with a humorless chuckle. “Aren’t you going to say something else?”

Like what?” Namsoon turns his attention to the other. “Do you want me to wish you luck? Tell you that you’ll do great? That you’ll be famous? That you’ll live your dream?” He chuckles. “Stop it.”

Yah, what are you saying? Do you want me to fail?” Heungsoo screams, rage filling his heart. “Aren’t you my friend?”

Namsoon smirks and stands up. “Friend? How are we friends?” His heart clenches, causing it hard to breathe. “Friends care about you. Friends share everything. Friends have each other’s backs. Friends are there for you when you need them. They’re there even when you don’t. Friends support you no matter what you do. Friends look out for you, keep you out of trouble, pull you out if you are. Friends are always there within arm’s reach. Friends don’t abandon you. Friends don’t leave you behind.” The pent up rage from the last two weeks overspills as tears streams down Namsoon’s face. “Friends don’t say goodbye.”

Namsoon…” Tears falling from his eyes, Heungsoo’s heart aches painfully at those words. “Nam…” His hand is smacked away.

You’re no friend of mine.” Namsoon growls bitterly. He shoves the other away and walks out of his house, slamming the door loudly behind him.

“Are you okay?”

Namsoon opens his wet eyes to see a girl standing above him. “Y-yeah.” He sits up, embarrassed of his appearance.

“Do you want a cake?” She pushes over a box of pastries towards Namsoon. “Sweet things help people feel better.”

“I’m fine.” Namsoon replies, a little awkward and suspicious of her.

“Want coffee then?” She grabs a hot coffee and pushes into his hands. “It’s a nice day out, just cold if you sit for too long.”

“T-thank you.” With his long fingers wrapped around the hot coffee, he realizes how cold he feels and how numb his fingers are. His stomach rumbles loudly, startling him and the girl.

“Here.” She pushes a large sandwich towards him. “Eat before you starve to death and I’ll have to drag your to the morgue.”

“Who are you?” Namsoon asks, curiosity getting the better of him.

“No one in particular.” She replies with a smile. Standing up, she brushes off the dust on her coat and takes a deep breath. “It’s going to be cold tonight. Maybe I should take out my electric blanket.”

“I wish I had one.” Namsoon mumbles under his breath.

“Eat and go home, okay? It won’t be good for you to get in trouble.” She advises him with a smile. “You’re still a student right?”

“Y-yeah.”

“It’ll be bad if the other students find out. Stupid rumors will spread.”

“It’s fine. School’s boring.” Namsoon admits, finishing half his sandwich. The last time he ate a proper meal was probably when his father was still around, probably four or five years ago when he was around twelve or so. “The teacher is annoying too.”

“Don’t you have friends?”

“I had one, but not anymore.” Namsoon stuffs his mouth with food to prevent himself from talking.

“Friends come and go. If he didn’t stay, maybe that means your friendship wasn’t meant to last.” She sits back down, grabbing the cup of hot tea. “Or perhaps your friendship is being tested. You’ll encounter obstacles and problems. Perhaps you’ll be separate for a few months or years, but you’ll eventually meet with him again.” She turns to Namsoon. “If you’re still friends then, that means your friendship will last for a long, long time.”

“And if it doesn’t?”

“Then the friendship wasn’t meant to be.” She tilts her head curiously. “Are you having friendship troubles?”

Namsoon chuckles nervously, turning his eyes away. Talking to a stranger about his personal problems seems a bit awkward and weird.

“If you ever want to talk, I’ll be here to listen.” She reaches out her hand. “I’ll give you my number if you want.” She tilts her head with a smile. “If you don’t want to, it’s okay. I live around here so if you need me, you can come look for me.”

Sighing at the empty cup of coffee and empty sandwich wrappers, Namsoon lowers his head. ‘I don’t understand. Why would a stranger care so much for me? She doesn’t even know me.’ A strong breeze sends shivers down his back and he quickly dumps the garbage, rushing to get home, out of the cold, unfeeling world.

 

 


You all thought it's Namsoon's side of the story when he's left alone? Nah, its more like Heungsoo left for soccer and Namsoon as abandoned.