INVITE

Misunderstood

 

Another month passed and Tiffany anticipated happily when Yuri was going to come by her locker. She even started to get there earlier so that she wouldn’t have to make Yuri wait long and take their time to class. She would have never thought in her life that she would actually enjoy the company of Yuri but over time it felt more natural. Nowadays they would even talk about what music and movies they’d like. When all classes were over Yuri would meet up with Tiffany before swimming team, since she now volunteered to help them out until their tournament was finished.

 

On one of those days before practice began, Yuri found Tiffany at her locker. She placed her hands over Tiffany’s eyes and said, “Guess who?”

 

With a smirk Tiffany replied, “An annoying little brat who’s gonna end up floating face first in that pool if she doesn’t cut it out.”

 

Yuri pulled back and said, “Whoa. Okay, close enough scary lady!”

 

“So what do you want,” asked Tiffany.

 

Yuri smiled and shook her head at Tiffany’s no nonsense attitude. Some things will never change. She leaned against the locker and asked, “We’re friends right?”

 

Tiffany blinked for a bit. She didn’t understand why Yuri was asking her this. “I suppose we are otherwise I wouldn’t allow you to waste my time,” Tiffany said.

 

“So as my friend I propose that we do something, “Yuri said with a smile.

 

“Such as,” asked Tiffany.

 

“I want you to come over to my place so we can have a sleep over,” exclaimed the taller girl.

 

“Sleep over? Is she serious? I never been to a sleep over before! What the heck would I do at a sleep over? I’m not into painting nails and braiding each other’s hair if that’s what she’s got in mind,” Tiffany thought.

 

“Well,” inquired Yuri.

 

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” said Tiffany.

 

“Oh come on! It’s just for the weekend,” Yuri said with a slight whine in her voice.

 

“I’m not into all those makeup tips and nail painting or talking about boyfriends…” Tiffany trailed.

 

“No Fany, it won’t be like that! It’ll just be us two. We’ll eat, play games, watch some movies, you know the fun stuff,” exclaimed Yuri.

 

Tiffany looked to the side and thought, “That doesn’t sound bad but…”

 

Yuri grabbed Tiffany’s hand and said softly, “Please Fany. Ever since I came here I haven’t got the chance to hang out like this with anyone. They are too scared of me. I’ll beg if I have to.”

 

Tiffany got the chills after contact was made. It felt like daggers of ice were shooting behind her back. She glanced to the side and noticed that there were two groups of girls watching her. One group was talking amongst themselves smiling and glancing their way occasionally while the other group was frowning and glaring. She never noticed this type of behavior before in her classmates. All she wanted to do was get out of this situation.

 

“Okay, I’ll go this weekend,” Tiffany said as she looked back at Yuri.

 

Yuri broke hand contact and ruffled Tiffany’s hair. “That’s my little mushroom,” she chuckled and then ran off to go to practice.

 

“Mushroom? Another one…that girl…,” Tiffany said to herself as she left the school.