LONGING

Misunderstood

 

A week passed and it was time for Yuri to go with the swim team for their tournament. At first she didn’t want to go but the team insisted that she did because she helped them out so much. They wanted her to be part of the celebrations if they won. Yuri, being her typical attention seeking self, couldn’t resist. After school Friday, she met Tiffany at her locker.

 

“You gonna miss me,” asked Yuri.

 

Tiffany closed her locker and got her things to go home. She turned to Yuri and looked, “Why would I?”

 

“Oh come on! Don’t be so cruel to me. We’ve been with each other almost every day for…man, how many months? It doesn’t matter! We see each other every school day. You can’t tell me that you won’t notice me gone for a week,” pouted Yuri.

 

“I just did,” said Tiffany nonchalantly as she began to walk towards the exit.

 

Yuri stood there in disbelief. She ran over to the shorter girl and grabbed her hand. “I’m not letting you go until you tell me,” said Yuri.

 

“What? Are you going to follow me all the way home,” asked Tiffany raising an eyebrow.

 

“If that’s what it takes,” responded Yuri squeezing Tiffany’s hand.

 

“Do what you like,” Tiffany replied as she walked towards the exit again.

 

The two girls walked hand in hand in silence. Yuri would occasionally look at Tiffany but the girl would only lead her to the direction of her home. Yuri let her mind wander. This was the first time she had ever taken Tiffany home. When they hung out Tiffany would always come to her house. She couldn’t help but think that Tiffany was more of a mystery than she’d like to admit. She wondered what she really knew about Tiffany. It was something that she decided to fix when she came back. In the midst of thinking, Tiffany stopped walking causing Yuri to bump into her.

 

“Oh I’m sorry, “Yuri said.

 

“Be careful next time,” Tiffany frowned. “Can you let go of me now? This is getting ridiculous and I’m not letting you upstairs,” Tiffany said.

 

“I’m not going to let you go until I hear what I want,” said Yuri.

 

Sighing seeing that this will go nowhere Tiffany conceded. “I don’t see why you are so insistent on me telling you this. I will see you again after a week. If it will get you off my back then fine…I will miss you,” she said.

 

Yuri shook her head. “Nuh uh, I’m not letting you go until I know if you are being sincere or not,” Yuri said.

 

Tiffany tilted her head. Of course she’d miss Yuri. Secretly she wanted to keep Yuri there with her as long as possible but she didn’t want to tell Yuri that openly. She squeezed Yuri’s hand, smiled and softly answered, “I will miss you Yuri.”

 

A grin appeared on Yuri’s face. Hearing Tiffany say that made her feel head warm and fuzzy. She leaned in and placed a kiss on Tiffany’s cheek. Pulling away she could see Tiffany’s shocked expression. She released her hand from the stunned girl in front of her and smiled. “I’ll miss you too,” she said and immediately ran to go home.